Lamy Joy Won't Post The Cap Just Floats Around

pubmgr

My almost new Lamy Joy stopped posting. That is, the cap just floats around on the pen body, rather than seating. I fished around inside the cap and unbent some "fins" inside the cap. That partially restored the posting. I'm assuming they got bent because I carry the pen in my pocket and sometimes it unscrews a little. Maybe that allowed the front half of the pen to distort those fins?

Anyone else have problems with the Joy posting? I have a friend with one, about eight months old, and it posts just fine. But she keeps it in her purse.

I really like the pen, but the posting problem is annoying. And shouldn't be happening.

It's also problematic because I'm using the 1.1 stub which I REALLY LIKE. But you can only get the stub in the Joy. It's not available (at least in the USA) in any other pens.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RMN

• pubmgr

• a m a r g o

• haruka337

Actually, I think the Joy is not meant to be posted.... The tail fin is meant for desktop pens

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

It does post nicely on my friend's Lamy Joy.

It is a long pen, and that quality has certain advantages and disadvantages. For example, you can't put it in a shirt pocket because the clip never reaches the front of the pocket. And the pen slips out of pants with short pockets--that's how I lost the last one. :)

But it does post. The really odd thing is how the "fins" inside the cap got crushed.

Oh, yes, the cap will stick, at first. But the sharp fin will likely damage the cap innards if it is jammed on too often. And the cap will wobble.

As I said, not designed to be posted.

And it is a desk pen, not intended for shirt pockets.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

It does post nicely on my friend's Lamy Joy.

It is a long pen, and that quality has certain advantages and disadvantages. For example, you can't put it in a shirt pocket because the clip never reaches the front of the pocket. And the pen slips out of pants with short pockets--that's how I lost the last one. :)

But it does post. The really odd thing is how the "fins" inside the cap got crushed.

As RMN said, it's intended to not be posted. That's why it's designed with a thin and longer body than the regular Safari.

One can place the cap on the end, but it was never meant to post correctly since it was not designed to post.

Also, the nibs on the Lamy Joy (as well as the Safari, Vista, AL Stars and, perhaps, a few others) are interchangeable with a couple of other Lamy fountain pens (use a piece of Scotch tape to remove). One can also buy all nibs separately for between 10 to 15 dollars per, including the 1.1 nib.

You can easily slip the 1.1 on a Lamy Safari--it posts nicely.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Hi, The LAMY Joy is one I don't have, but, I think I am safe to say that the nibs are the same design as used on the Safari, ABC, Nexx, AL-Star and Studio, so they can be changed or swapped over very easily.

The 'Nexx' has a triangular section barrel, but the cap is round, so although it's possible to post the cap, it really doesn't fit too well so is better to leave it off.

Edited by Mike 59

• 5 weeks later...

I do not and would not post a joy.

The cap sitting so far out on the tail would make the pen way too tail heavy to write comfortably with.

Heck I do not post my Safari for the same reason, the balance of the pen becomes too tail heavy for me.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com