Size Matters (Vintage Waterman Question)

comixfan

Never had any luck really, on eBay. Came to the point of just assuming that all sellers fell into one of two categories: 1. those who don't know anything about pens, and 2. those who think every pen they have is worth the highest premium price. My experiences in contacting the sellers has not changed this opinion... yet.

I have much more modest tastes. I would like a semi flexible needlepoint or extra fine with good snap. It can be in a standard 52 body, faded if necessary (it's all about the nib for me) but getting a decent condition would be quite nice too. For me this is a pen that represents a daily writer and not just a curiosity piece.

I put out the challenge to all the sellers: place your pens on eBay with a $1 starting price. Let the market decide what they are worth.

This is a challenge that no seller will accept. I think it's pretty clear why, but you should draw your own conclusions.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenBuyer1796

• Z-Tab

• FarmBoy

• Cryptos

No seller? That is a bit strong (as I know), although the tendency to start with a high price rather than watch the market does seem to vary with brands from what I have seen.

X

Is it a bit strong? I'm talking about every seller who trots out to me the hoary old line "I price my wares at the level that the market demands". I say that this statement is false, and I ask those who essay it to put their money where their mouth is (not in those exact words of course, I tend to be a little more diplomatic, but the gist is there).

None of those asked have dared do this.

Actually, given a bit of time observing eBay seller behaviour it is easy to analyse and classify them. I would be surprised if anyone who is forced to use eBay as their main resource doesn't take the same approach to understanding the factors in play.

Well, given I can name off the top of my head three pens in my hands which were priced at a 99p start and sold up to hundreds of dollars, yes it is a bit strong.

There are other pens in the same category of [currency of choice]0.99 starting prices which I own but would need to research to name.

I am well aware of other sellers who start with a high price and hope it goes higher, then re-list after zero bids. :rolleyes:

Edited by praxim

X

I understand what you are saying, but please take into account the qualifier I gave previously. I'm talking about those sellers who with studied "innocence" claim that it's all the market's fault.

There is also a category of sellers who have built up a kind of cult of personality (I daresay it is well-deserved, so I'm not knocking that). They can happily start their price low, knowing with absolute certainty that their followers will bid it all up accordingly.

Please note that I am not being cynical here, merely looking at and discussing the data that is available. The fact that I don't like the current model is by the by.

Cynicism works for me.

I'll observe that the prices for Watermans...especially 52s...have appreciated recently, and my recent interest interest in the nibs attatched to eyedroppers has already proved costly. That said, enough burrowing through those endless ebay columns will sometimes turn up a bargain.

If you are pushing a Waterman #2-size nib to 3mm, you are surely overflexing it to a dangerous degree.

Have you ever had that feeling you were in a crowded room off in a corner having a conversation by yourself and no one noticed?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

If you are pushing a Waterman #2-size nib to 3mm, you are surely overflexing it to a dangerous degree.

Only wet noodle #2 nibs that have adequate tines to allow for such capabilities. Music nibs, pink nibs, red nibs, and eyedropper nibs can provide proper flex. You have handled many tens of thousands of Watermans with #2 nibs, how many would you say could handle over 3mm line variations?

None.

Only wet noodle #2 nibs that have adequate tines to allow for such capabilities. Music nibs, pink nibs, red nibs, and eyedropper nibs can provide proper flex. You have handled many tens of thousands of Watermans with #2 nibs, how many would you say could handle over 3mm line variations?

Thanks, I will take a second look at dealers that are offering vintage fountain pens that flex that much.

how much are you willing to pay?

And: Did you ever write with such a nib?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

how much are you willing to pay?

And: Did you ever write with such a nib?

D.ick

I've seen them go under $1k, I have written with them. Very soft, full flex nibs.

Edited by PenBuyer1796

I've been them go under $1k, I have written with them. Very soft, full flex nibs.

Ok, if you know what you're buying and know how to handle them.

Alas a lot of folk buy flex because it seems to be the latest fad in pens. And when they have one they use it as a BP and ruin a fine nib and actually complain to the seller....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I've seen them go under $1k, I have written with them. Very soft, full flex nibs.

Brando,

Can you post a writing sample? I'd like to see a nib that flexes to 3mm. A video would be even better.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Brando,

Can you post a writing sample? I'd like to see a nib that flexes to 3mm. A video would be even better.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

Who is Brando? And the dealer than I am looking at buying from does not offer videos.

Who is Brando? And the dealer than I am looking at buying from does not offer videos.

This might help.

I gave Derek your regards at the SF Show by the way.

Todd

This might help.

I gave Derek your regards at the SF Show by the way.

Todd

I'll read up on it, seems like an interesting read. Don't know a Derek, but will say hi anyways.

I'll read up on it, seems like an interesting read. Don't know a Derek, but will say hi anyways.

I will make sure and let everyone know someone is using your email account that goes by Brandon. You might want to check your accounts to be sure you have not been hijacked.