Baoer 801. Better Than A Parker Vector.

richardandtracy

I have to catch up with reviewing a couple of pens, and this is one I got in October 2015 having ordered it in September.

It is the Baoer 801. The pen is a really cheap one, loosely based on the Parker Vector, however every part has been re-designed and re-engineered. The pen has a painted finish, so I wanted to do a decent 'life' test on it, to see how long the paint lasted. I have not had a great deal of joy with painted finishes. I seem to have acidic skin which deteriorates most painted finishes quite rapidly. Basically 3 weeks of my normal usage seems equivalent to about 2 years in the care of a couple of my colleagues. This is the pen in the sun at 9 months old:

fpn_1514885485__baoer_801_photo1.jpg

The pen, as I said earlier is a cheap one. How cheap?

Well, try £1.35 inc postage from China. I think it was US$1.99 at the time. So, why did I pay that much for the pen when a plain black one was available for £0.73p at the time?

I wish I could really show you. I just cannot capture it on camera, either the camera or my photography skills are not up to it - the photo above doesn't do it justice at all. The finish on this one is spectacular. Simply amazing. In a dull room, it looks like gold fleck paint mixed into glossy black and is very nice. In the sunshine, the other colours really come alive, there are dark emerald greens and dark ruby shading through the black & gold, with a real depth to the finish. It fully deserves the 'Shimmering Aurora Borealis' term applied by some sellers to this totally spectacular finish. Have I given the impression I like it? If not, I need to say it again. I love it.

OK, now onto a few objective details:

• Length capped: 134.1mm
  • Length uncapped: 117.3mm
  • Length Posted: 164.0mm (Posts very securely)
  • Cap & Barrel Diameter: 10.0mm
  • Section Diameter: 7.5 to 9.0mm over a 20mm length
  • Weight: 23.5g capped, 13.2g Uncapped

Construction

The pen is an all metal pen and while it doesn't feel unbreakable, it doesn't feel excessively fragile either.

The section is machined and anodized aluminium with a textured finish. The low amount of taper and textured finish stops finger slippage even when hot & sweaty. The thread into the barrel is occasionally a bit graunchy, but works adequately. The twist c/c is better than most Chinese ones, and works in such a way that you don't notice it. What more needs to be said?

The nib is a small leaf shaped nib vaguely reminiscent of the Parker Latitude, so is a fairly unusual shape. The nib is an accurately plated, two tone steel nib, and is quite pleasant to look at.

The Barrel is a standard metal (probably brass) tube with threaded inserts at the section end, and a pressed in reduced diameter finial at the other end. The step to the section is 0.5mm and is comfortable to hold if you prefer to position your fingers there.

The Cap has a very firm clip, going on to a metal body. The cap click is positive. The open end of the barrel has no machining to re-inforce it or protect the edge of the paint. This is the only area of criticism I can come up with on the construction.

The quality of construction throughout is equal to, or better than, the Parker Vector.

Writing with the Pen

I like broad nibs. The nib on this pen is a slightly narrow medium, so is right on the lower limit of what I am willing to put up with. So, having expressed my prejudice, how does it feel?

I inked it up without flushing, and used it. And have continued to do so for months. The ink is Diamine Bilberry, which I think is a little reluctant in many pens, as it was in this one. However the nib was reasonable, made a decent line, was moderately stiff, gave reasonable feedback. Generally pretty reasonable, and certainly not bad enough to be worth doing anything to polish the nib. Now, as FPN members both you & I have higher quality requirements for nibs than average, so 'Joe Bloggs' will be more than satisfied.

Durability

I have already mentioned that I am very hard on my pens. The painted finish is showing no signs of wear after 9 months. The plating on the clip isshowing a few pock marks, and the plating on the cap click by the nib has almost completely worn away. That's it. So, the durability for the price is superb, and the durability compared to a Parker Vector is equally superb.

Comparison with a Parker Vector

I think it is fair to compare this Baoer with a Parker Vector. I have worn out a number of Parker Vectors, so have an idea of their weak and strong points, and they are so similar to this pen that a direct comparison is worthwhile. Also, the Baoer 801 is, by virtue of its price relative to the other pens in the Baoer range, an entry level pen, in the same way that the Vector is to the Parker range.

The looks are as below, The Vector is one I stopped using at 6 months old due to the cap click no-longer working and a barrel crack of 10mm. The Baoer is 9 months old:

fpn_1514885535__baoer_801_photo2.jpg

So, I found (with a sample size of 6 different Vectors as my main pen), that the Vectors last around 6 months before the cap click wears to the point the cap falls off easily. It is at this point I find the Vector Clip has a 1 in 2 chance of being loose and there is a 5 in 6 chance cracks are appearing in the open end of a very tired plastic barrel. So, in my posession, based on a sample of 6, Vectors last 6 months.

In my posession, based on similar usage patterns (sample size of 1, this time), but for 50% longer test period, the Baoer is not far different from 'As New' condition. That is much better than the Parker.

The writing experience with the Parkers is quite variable. Some are good, some less so. I think the variability of the Parker's is not far from that I have found in 'average' Chinese pens, so I don't think either the Parker or Baoer comes ahead on that score.

The Vector does not come with a c/c. The Baoer did.

The finish on the Baoer is gorgeous. The Parker is plain.

The Baoer Barrel & Cap finish is glossy after 9 months. The Parker Barrel & Cap finish is dull and worn after 6 months.

The Parker has 2 nib sizes now, Fine or Medium. The Baoer only has one, a fine medium. It is a real shame that there are not 3 alternatives for each, including a broad.

The Parker Vector be obtained for as little as £3.90, the Baoer (in this 'more expensive' finish) for £1.35.

Value For Money

At a price of £1.35, if it writes, it's excellent. The fact it looks so gorgeous and is so well built, it's worth an 11 out of 10.

Conclusion

If you think a standard Parker Vector is an acceptable pen, think of the Baoer 801 as a better version that costs less. It is, with the exception that you cannot choose the nib size, better than the standard Parker Vector in every way, and at a lower price.

As a gift pen, people will think you have spent a fortune!

I'm going to get another. I think it is a superb value pen, if you try one, I'd be surprised if you don't agree with me.

There is really no point in buying a Parker Vector when a better, very similar, pen can be obtained for less.

I hope this review helps.

Regards,

Richard.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob_hayden

• sodul

• richardandtracy

• oneill

The only downside of Baoer pens is that any of your future purchases may turn out to be a disaster....these pens don't have any quality control whatsoever....particularly when it comes to nibs....Parker vector is a standard pen...buy a medium one and you're good to go....the fine Parker nib is funny, it may turn out to be scratchy out of the box but once you smooth it out, Parker fine nibs are really a joy to use. But that certainty is definitely lacking for Baoer.

Thanks for the review. It's amazing that they manage to do such a quality pen for such a low price.

The only downside of Baoer pens is that any of your future purchases may turn out to be a disaster....these pens don't have any quality control whatsoever....particularly when it comes to nibs

From what I've seen they're no worse than the likes of Pelikan, Sailor, and so on

Edited by Bluey

I fear I agree that Parker pens are not as reliable as you'd hope. I have had a number of pens (including a Sonnet) fail to make any mark at all on good paper until I ground the nib. My Duofolds both needed smoothing, with a filthy great burr being left on the BI Centennial nib.

I have only tried two Baoers, a 388 and this one. And both have worked straight out of the box. Had they a reliability the same as my recent, sub £100, Parkers, one of them would not have worked. Instead, both worked. OK, the sample size is very small, but they seem to be starting from a better position than Parker. Which is shameful for Parker.

Regards,

Richard.

From what I gather Parker used to have a much better reputation and quality than they do at present. Perhaps around 20-30 years ago they started going down the toilet. I have heard that at one time around that period or before you could buy a Parker clip that slipped into your jacket pocket to be used to impress at job interviews or meetings. There was no pen attached to the clip though, it was purely decorative

I fear I agree that Parker pens are not as reliable as you'd hope. I have had a number of pens (including a Sonnet) fail to make any mark at all on good paper until I ground the nib. My Duofolds both needed smoothing, with a filthy great burr being left on the BI Centennial nib.

I have only tried two Baoers, a 388 and this one. And both have worked straight out of the box. Had they a reliability the same as my recent, sub £100, Parkers, one of them would not have worked. Instead, both worked. OK, the sample size is very small, but they seem to be starting from a better position than Parker. Which is shameful for Parker.

Regards,

Richard.

With my experience Baoer 801 is better one. The clip of my Parker vector is loose even though i seldom use it and it is slippery. My Baoer 801 looking premium and reasonable smooth nib but ink flow slightly lower than Parker. Overall Baoer is better pen if we not consider the brand value.

You certainly have an affinity for Parker pens and pens that mirror Parker. Alas, Parker is not the company that I fondly remember from my youth. So sad! My first pen, and you need to know that I am old (and I mean old: I used kid that I was as old as dirt, but since I have closed that gape, I no longer use that phrase!). Was a a Lapis Blue 1925 Duofold. For Parker aficionados, they will know that the Lapis was not introduced until 1927. Mine was a "demo" pen. At the time Parker would release these "demo" pens to people in the trade prior to doing a manufacturer release. My father and uncle were in the trade and would often receive "demo" pens. Parker at the time, prior to making even a slight change to the clip, and especially prior to introducing a new color, would release "demo" pens to see how the slightest change would hold up in service. The user would return the pen at a designated time for review by Parker than have the option to either keep the pen, or turn it in for a new one. Every time I pull my first pen out to use, I think how blessed I am that my father and uncle decided to keep the pen. It remains a joy to write with. I wish for the days of the Parker Pen Company from my long ago home of Wisconsin was still in existence. I commend you for keeping the name of Parker, and what they once were alive.

All the best!

Thank you for your review! The Parker Vector is a pen I have fond memories of, as I was given two of them that used to be my father's college pens. They became my first fountain pens in high school.

I wonder if quality control on the Parker Vectors has gone downhill since the 1980s, when my father bought his Vectors. The pens my father handed down to me still write well today and have no faults, except one having a hairline stress crack where the barrel screws in to the section (result of user error- my father tends to overtighten anything that screws!). Both Vectors have been heavily used from the mid-80s to the present. That's some 30 years of faithful service. I wonder whether this is still possible with current production Vectors... but, given my sad encounters with modern-day Sonnets, probably not. Alas! Let us hope the Baoer holds up well over the years- maybe then some of the old companies like Parker will start to see how far they have fallen.

The two Baoer pens I own write better than a lot of pens, some of which cost more than a Parker Vector.

My son is like you, his sweat is like battery acid. A set of guitar strings lasts about a week for him, before they turn black.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Interesting review. The only Baoer pen I own is a brushed-stainless-steel Sonnet clone with a nib that was custom ground by Tyler Dahl. I have to say the fit, finish, flow, and appearance are all first rate (much to my initial surprise). I may try one of these 801s just for fun.

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

Both Baoer pens I have (Sonnet clone and the 100) both write very well. All metal pens that look great and just write. There are not a lot of Baoer pens that I fancy from the looks of them, but from my personal experience - they have been quality writers for the price.

Thank you for the review. I also find my Baoer's (several models, including the 388 and 801) reliable and very good for the price.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Received the exact same pen that is the subject of this review just the other day. There is no way for the photo to do justice to finish on this pen-it's jaw dropping gorgeous. After a thorough cleaning, just for the sake of caution, I inked up with some Noodlers Bernanke Black and had at it. Besides the great look and impeccable workmanship, this slim little thing writes like a dream come true. After the mixed reviews some Chinese pens get, it can seem like a chance buying one of them. But this particular pen is worth several times its price. It's an absolute steal for what I paid. Maybe I was just lucky. Congrats for the great review. If you haven't noticed, I agree wholeheartedly.

I have and used the 801 and 388, both for myself and as gifts.

Based on my experience, the nib on the 801 is likely to work decently well 'out of the box' 9/10 times, whereas the nib on the 388 needs adjustment 8/10 times.

I just wish they made and we have could buy the pens with different size nibs.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 month later...

I have a slightly larger sample. I must have bought maybe a dozen or more Vectors over a span of many years. Nibs tended to be rough and variable out of the box, and fine did not seem much different from medium. They did smooth out in time and write reasonably well. I thought the ones made in England were better than the earlier pens I had that were made in the US of A, while the ones from India were the most erratic. The plastic is pretty soft and I too have had barrels split out. You could get them in calligraphy sets and the narrowest calligraphy nib could be used as a broad.

For inexpensive Parkers I much prefer the Frontiers or even the Betas. I own maybe ten of each and all have been just fine.

I bought a red 801 some years ago to use with red ink for marking up manuscripts. I really liked it and ended up with about 15 or so, I think in every color they had. Every one was perfect right out of the box and none have ever given me any real trouble. I do find that if I have some ink that does not flow very well the problem is most pronounced in the 801s, but it takes a very unusual ink to precipitate that. There is a much greater variety of colors in ink cartridges for the Baoer, including lots more exciting than those in the Parker line, or really cheap ones if you want that.

I would consider these Baoers to be much better pens than the Vectors, with much better quality control. I can't speak to other Baoer models, but find Chinese pens in general to be quite variable in quality. But not these.

Ultimately, though, I don't see them as competitors because there is no overlap in the nib widths offered. I much prefer fine or extra fine nibs so the Baoer is a good fit for me while the Vectors are not.

PS

Current US of A prices for the 801 from China are $1.89, including postage, and up.

Note there is another pen sold as a Baoer 801 which has a different nib (at least) and the reviews I've seen were poor. The second photo in this thread looks good enough to identify the one I like. The one I don't like has a hooded nib with the hood in chrome.

Edited by bob_hayden

After being incited by this thread, I decided to try an 801. After all, I love my older Vector for its simplicity and smooth M nib--even if the plastic seems a little on the fragile side. So the 801 arrived, I flushed it and inked it, and I have to agree with the nice things that have been said. Mine, a Chinese interpretation of a flighter but with a straight, rather than an arrow, clip, inked-up well and writes a beautiful, rather wet Western F line. It's a delight so far, and subjectively it seems to be a better-built pen then the Parker--but maybe that's just from the fact that it is steel rather than plastic. In any case, fit and finish are excellent.

Thanks for pushing me over the edge once again.

ron

• 2 weeks later...

Even the 801s that look like they could be made of plastic are actually painted metal, though they are not too heavy as I find many Jinhaos to be.

Both the 801 and the 833 are available in the States for ≠$2 including shipping. I have both and really prefer the 388 for Parker styling and finish. I was interested in the 801 in stainless. It is a bit glitz.