The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Have You Tried A Write-Off?

waterman esterbrook onoto comparison

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:34

... not in the accounting sense but as a competition?

Although I have yet to try seriously all the pens I own let alone more coming in, there were already a two or three about which I was thinking that, maybe, they lacked a long term future in my hands so perhaps I should decide which (if any) I could sell sooner rather than later?

To this end I inked a few, not all of those under consideration for moving along, and set about a "write-off".

That did not work. I liked all of them.

Maybe I could discard one on aesthetics? No, the most boring one had a lovely, very fine yet somewhat flexible nib which wrote lightly and easily in the hand.

I am back to the longer term approach; see which ones do not get brought back into rotation so much, and to get to there I need to use them all for a while.

Have you ever tried any sort of method to determine what you might keep or what you might sell or pass on? What was the result of that?

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

Sponsored Content

#2 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 14:15

Maybe I'm funny but I get a feel over the first few days for how much I like a pen. How does it look in person - how does it feel in my hand - how well does it write (does it skip, hard start, too sensitive to rotation, etc) all of which can be found out pretty fast IMO. For me the bottom line is almost all about how well it writes. I don't have much patience for fussy pens.

#3 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 15:28

Even watching the rotation doesn't work for me. If a pen is out of the rotation for a while, when I finally do come back to it I enjoy the novelty, and often my writing style has improved enough that I now appreciate the pen more than when I first bought it. So I have real trouble getting rid of pens: even the ones that hardly ever get used.

ron

#4 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 15:30

Yes, I did. I took out a whole bunch of my pens and write some sentences with each on FP paper. Nothing too serious just some quotes.

It was very educational. By doing this I got a quick appreciation about what style of grip I like, what weight I prefer and how each pen performed individually.  I found that the Parker Sonnet which I hardly use has a more comfortable grip than my Parker 51.

Certainly it's helped my decide which pens not to buy in the future, and helped me work out which ones I want to keep and use more regularly.

#5 alaskazimm

alaskazimm

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 16:05

Even watching the rotation doesn't work for me. If a pen is out of the rotation for a while, when I finally do come back to it I enjoy the novelty, and often my writing style has improved enough that I now appreciate the pen more than when I first bought it. So I have real trouble getting rid of pens: even the ones that hardly ever get used.

ron

This, very much this . . .

#6 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 18:47

I ended up with this standard: (1) Does it flow well? (2) Is it comfortable? (3) Do I like its aesthetics? I just recovered a Sonnet by changing the nib and feed, and cleaned a Vector.

Sonnet:

(1) Oh yeah!

(2) Yes.

(3) Sort of, I hate gold now and the nib is now steel.

Result: Keeper!

Vector:

(1) Yes.

(2) No, it's way too thin for me.

(3) Hell no, I got it while at school because it was one of the few locally available options.

Result: Give it away, although I know few people who could use it. I kind of like the metal converter but it's a pain to get ink in or out of it, to clean it. At least I cleaned it so it can find a new home.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#7 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 19:21

ron

This is generally how I feel about the pens I don't use much.  I use only four or five regularly.  They are the ones that work best for me.  All the others are usually idle, but sometimes I will fill one and use it a little.  There will be something about its looks or my history with having used it when I first got it that will keep me from wanting to sell it.  Some have a charm, like the Waterman Kultur Lara Croft Tomb Raider pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, esterbrook, onoto, comparison

Sponsored Content

|