M400 Brown Tortoise

The Good Captain

@PaperQueen that sounds like an ink order I placed with a European vendor. Two of the inks that were added to the cart were not actually in stock. It took almost a month for resolution.

Edit here: I really liked the look of the brown tortoise, but haven't yet bought one.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• mitto

• BillH

• canibanoglu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ugh, me, too! As Tom Petty once said, the waiting is the hardest part. So damn true.

Ordered one on Friday, now, (im)patiently waiting for it to arrive........

Could anyone post a picture of one next to a 1950s 400 tortoise? From the looks of it, the modern pen has none of the depth or intrigue of the original...it looks quite bland actually.

I'd be curious to see this photo comparison, too. The images I've seen of vintage tortoise look a little dull to me, I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. The newer tortoiseshell bindes really catch the light, I find the material quite attractive.

Could anyone post a picture of one next to a 1950s 400 tortoise? From the looks of it, the modern pen has none of the depth or intrigue of the original...it looks quite bland actually.

I'm not sure that I agree either, I think the 2016 Tortoise is a stunning pen. But you decide... here is a 400NN and the new pen together. What do you guys think?

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Thanks for posting, these are both gorgeous! I'm a huge fan of the newer material (I ordered a 2016 M400), but based on this photo I think the vintage tortoise edges it out. What a pair.

I'm not sure that I agree either, I think the 2016 Tortoise is a stunning pen. But you decide... here is a 400NN and the new pen together. What do you guys think?

attachicon.gifold and new torts.jpg

My '54 400T (transitional) ... and '51-54 500 seem to be slightly lighter tortoise (both the same) than Bill's pictures. ...Even if at minimum there is only a year ...'55 between them.

I don't know how much variation they have, much less the 9 year long 400nn's run.

My '90-96 M400 ('97 was green only) Germany one is darker.

The stripes are a bit clearer but close to Monbla's picture on page 2.

Oddly, if I put my rolled gold 500's cap on it; it looks murky. Looks much better in it's black/brown* normal cap. I had thought at first being darker it would look good with the rolled gold cap.

*That is so black, one needs a pure black pen to see it has a dark shadow of brown.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My '54 400T (transitional) ... and '51-54 500 seem to be slightly lighter tortoise (both the same) than Bill's pictures. ...Even if at minimum there is only a year ...'55 between them.

I don't know how much variation they have, much less the 9 year long 400nn's run.

My '90-96 M400 ('97 was green only) Germany one is darker.

The stripes are a bit clearer but close to Monbla's picture on page 2.

I have a pre-97 in the post somewhere (thought it would be here by now). Wonder how it would look compare to these and keeping in mind Bo Bo's comment? Perhaps I'll put all my torts together for a group picture once it arrives. Will repost when I do that. (Like I need an excuse to work with them, eh?)

:lol: :happyberet: :bunny01: :vbg:

Can't wait.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 4 weeks later...

Very pretty pair. Thanks for posting!

BTW, for anyone interested, there's a Japanese seller on Ebay, selling the M400 Brown Tortoise (2016 edition)for $319.including shipping with EF, F, M or B nib.

eyesa, thanks for popping in here and getting the thread up again... I'm embarrassed... I completely forgot to round up the tortoises and take a new picture. My apologies. S'posed to snow here tomorrow so I'll use that for an excuse to play with pens.

:lticaptd: who am I trying to kid, I never need an excuse to play with pens.

eyesa, thanks for popping in here and getting the thread up again... I'm embarrassed... I completely forgot to round up the tortoises and take a new picture. My apologies. S'posed to snow here tomorrow so I'll use that for an excuse to play with pens.

:lticaptd: who am I trying to kid, I never need an excuse to play with pens.

Not to worry BillH, I'm sure Pelikan folk will be interested no matter when you get to it. Looking forward to the visuals...thanks! Edited by eyesa

BTW BillH, the older tortoise appears more honey-hued but the binde looks not as sharp and clear in striping as the new version. Both equally pretty in their different ways, where even the caps and bands add to their uniqueness. Lucky you to have such a comparison to share.

Here is a picture of five Brown Tortoises in the 400 size. Top to bottom they are the 2016 SE M400, pre-97 M400, M250 Levenger Brown Tortoise, late '50's 400NN, and a first year 1950 400. The 400 is my birth year pen, and the new one is this year's B-day pen. And like I said before, picking a favorite is like picking a favorite kid.

post-131534-0-12309700-1481221977_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of five Brown Tortoises in the 400 size. Top to bottom they are the 2016 SE M400, pre-97 M400, M250 Levenger Brown Tortoise, late '50's 400NN, and a first year 1950 400. The 400 is my birth year pen, and the new one is this year's B-day pen. And like I said before, picking a favorite is like picking a favorite kid.

attachicon.gifPelikan Brown Tortoises.jpg

That is a pretty bunch, BillH. Thanks very much for taking the time to post. It's still hard to pick one. Interesting to see the 1950 bird with more a milk chocolate brown (on cap and piston knob) than dark chocolate. Interesting too, to see how the binde has changed. Being celluloid, do you think the honey hue of the early models is due at all to age? The striping in the new birds also seem to have more silver shot through it too. The derby changes are nice to see too! Thanks a bunch for the side by side.

Edited by eyesa

As I missed out on the 800 as too pricey, I pulled the trigger on the 400. Yup, at 380USD it is probably overpriced but I am glad I got one. I desperately wanted the larger pen but this is very pretty and nice in the hand.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain