The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Are Stub Italic Nibs Difficult To Write With?

nibs

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 23:35

Recently I purchased 2 "Italic/Stub" pens and the results couldn't be more different and in one case really disappointing. Both brand new and from the same retailer.  Firstly, a Lamy Safari with a 1.5 Nib which is truly lovely. A fantastic smooth nib with great line variation and all for 15 Euros. Secondly, a Pelikan M800 Italic Broad special edition for 265 Euros. To me the Pelikan  is just a big fat nib with little line variation and a horrible "baby bottom". 

Sponsored Content

#22 BillLS

BillLS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2016 - 00:04

The tricky thing about older pens is you don't always know if the pen in your hand came from the factory like that.

I have an old Sheaffer calligraphy pen where the tip/edge of the nib is SHARP.  I have no idea if it came from Sheaffer like that or if the prior owner sharpened it to be like that.  As Bill said, it caught me off guard.

Just the corners, or the writing edge?

Just the corners. They are very smooth as long as you stay on the sweet spot where the corners are not digging into the paper.

Bill Sexauer
PCA+++Logo+small.jpgBlk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpgCP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

#23 tinta

tinta

euzin kút

• Member - Gold

• 2,612 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:33

To answer the original question,... my answer would be no

Writing with an edged (italic) nib is not difficult.  These nibs do require you to control both the angle & the rotation of your pen's section more than conventional (stiff) nibs.

A relatively constant angle of the pen & an absolute minimum of rotation of the section should allow you to find the nib's "writing edge".  It will take a little practice to be able to make consistent contact with this edge.  Once you develop the muscle memory to make all this happen, then writing with edged nibs becomes a real pleasure.

(All my pens have edged nibs of one kind or another & I'm a happy man.)

I humbly suggest you take time to "learn" to find the optimum writing edge for each individual stub, cursive italic or formal italic nib (be it factory or custom). 

Stubs allow you a little more latitude in pen/nib positioning & often they are first italics that are recommended.  Stubs are more forgiving of your hand position, allow you to work at speed & make terrific "daily writer" nibs (particularly in smaller sizes).

Enjoy!   :D

Edited by tinta, 10 August 2016 - 02:40.

Sailor 1911 Standards (14c nibs): *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marbled Mozaiques, (machined acrylic/rhodium), 1.0 mm.CI & 0.8 mm. stub *Kaweco Dia2 14c M,B,BB 0.5 mm, 0.8 mm, 1.0 mm. (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput 14c 0.6 stub * Montblanc 254, 14c BB flügelfeder factory stub

#24 bigt

bigt

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:09

The great thing about the Lamy pens is that the nibs are pretty cheap and simple to change so if you don,t like the 1.1 it's an easy fix to get a round nib in your favourite size. One of the most fun fountain pen purchases are the calligraphy kits- they come with a variety of different size nibs to swap about and play with to your hearts content- examples such as the ones from Parker based on the Vector, vintage Osmiroid etc generally very inexpensive and good fun.

Tony

#25 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:31

My brother had a Visconti with the 1.3mm stub nib. He let me try it. It took me a bit to get the hang of it, but I got it that day. He helped me with suggestions. The angle is part of it. Trouble is, that was several years ago, so I don't remember his advice that helped.

It didn't take me long to like stub and italic nibs better.

Once you try yours, you might see the results and think no difference. I thought that until I used a different ink. I have a Safari with the 1.1mm nib and the Lamy Coral ink. I see the thick and thin variations with that ink. I wish Lamy had a 1.3mm.

They have both 1.5 and 1.9 mm nobs in addition to the 1.1.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#26 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:19

2016-08-10-Ink_52.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#27 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 35,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:19

2016-08-10-Ink_53.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#28 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 35,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:20

2016-08-10-Ink_54.jpg

#29 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:51

fpn_1470995440__img_2168.jpg

fpn_1470995456__img_2169.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

#30 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:02

Be careful, stub and italic nibs tend to grow on you.  Now when I buy a new pen, I get it in a broad nib, and immediately send it off to have the nib reground to a stub or CI (cursive italic) point.

Those are practically all I use.  95%+ of all my user pens are stubs and italics.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#31 tinta

tinta

euzin kút

• Member - Gold

• 2,612 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:19

Be careful, stub and italic nibs tend to grow on you.  Now when I buy a new pen, I get it in a broad nib, and immediately send it off to have the nib reground to a stub or CI (cursive italic) point.

Those are practically all I use.  95%+ of all my user pens are stubs and italics.

Best Regards, greg

I'm fully with you. 

Except for a stubbish MB factory BB, all my pens sport some form of custom edged nib: a stub or a CI. 

The fee for a regrind is always factored into the price of a pen.  In fact, it's the edged nibs I really want,  more than the pens.  

Perhaps I'm obsessed?  :D

Sailor 1911 Standards (14c nibs): *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marbled Mozaiques, (machined acrylic/rhodium), 1.0 mm.CI & 0.8 mm. stub *Kaweco Dia2 14c M,B,BB 0.5 mm, 0.8 mm, 1.0 mm. (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput 14c 0.6 stub * Montblanc 254, 14c BB flügelfeder factory stub

#32 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,742 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:24

Nah, the stubs, italics and cursive italics are fun.  They are not hard to use.  They can be enticing and habit forming. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#33 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 13:08

~ Reading this older thread has been an education.

I'm glad that OP SolberM asked this question, which has lately been in my thoughts.

The many replies posted have brought out various subtleties.

The handwritten posts from amberleadavis and from Noihvo are especially instructive.

My hesitation about writing with a stub has been lessened by what's been explained here.

Thank you to all who've posted.

Tom K.

#34 dadbar

dadbar

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 14:41

Stub nibs are GREAT.

If you tend to write fast, you will have to slow things down when you use a stub.

#35 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• 28,249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 18:45

Nah. That’s early days when folks pick them up. A week or two to get used to them and I find they’re faster cause they float on all that ink.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs

Sponsored Content

|