That Moment When You Realize That Your Ebay Search Technique Needs Fine-Tuning

Chouffleur

Reformation of Church and Dogma, 1300-1700 Vol. 1 by Jaroslav J. Pelikan

"Synopsis This penultimate volume in Pelikan's acclaimed history of Christian doctrine winner with Volume 3 of the Medieval Academy's prestigious Haskins Medal encompasses the Reformation and the developments that led to it. "Only in America, and in this case from a Lutheran scholar, could we expect an examination so lacking in parti pris, a survey so perceptive, so free and, one must say, the result of so much immense labor, so rewardingly presented."John M. Todd, New York Times Book Review "Never wasting a word or losing a plot line, Pelikan builds on an array of sources that few in our era have the linguistic skill, genius or ambition to master."Martin E. Marty, America "The use of both primary materials and secondary sources is impressive, and yet it is not too formidable for the intelligent layman."William S. Barker, Eternity"

Edited by Chouffleur

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• inkstainedruth

• Chouffleur

• Russ

Pelikan was my brother-in-law's PhD advisor. Famous quote: "A PhD is the last childhood sickness."

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Pelikan was one of those scholars who arises but rarely in any generation. Yes, your search for Pelikan snagged his book, but then you may not have been aware that he existed or had significant name recognition in both the Lutheran and Orthodox world.

Happy searches for more pens!

One can learn the oddest things when one drifts in the net.

That is one hell of a great review! :notworthy1:

Unfortunately, I have more in the early 4th-5th century schisms than later; more superficial actually....and that only because of a planned book.

Here's some fine tuning, I had to learn as an American living in Germany.

Hunting in German E-bay, there are 7 German words for fountain pen, and you need all 7 in they are often stand alone and you can miss a pen going cheap because of the word used to describe it.
You must either copy and paste or find that Hot Key help, that gives you Umlauts.

Füller
Füllfederhalter
Füllhalter
Kolben Füller ...............piston filler
kolbenfüller ............Piston filler, once I found stuff under that that I did not find on the first. But I think in the last months they have an automatic correction for that.
Schulfüller School pen
SCHREIBGERÄTE writing apparatus's

Fountain pen (who’d thought it?)
Füllhalter-Ständer pen stand....but remember it's got to fit.

So one can add the whole smear too.
pelikan (füllhalter, füllfederhalter, füller, kolbenfüller, "fountain pen")

looking for spare nibs and or dip pen nibs.

Federspitze für Tinte
Feder für Füllfederhalter
Feder für Füllhalter
Feder für Federhalter

Tintenfass, Tintengefäß schreibtischgarnitur, schreibtischset, tintenfässchen, tintenzeug,....ink wells

Some Spainish words for ink wells.

Tintengefäß - Tintero .....(Am dumb, have not been using the second word for inkwell in German.)
Tinteros
Tintero doble

Spanish for fountain pen.
Pluma
Pluma Estilográfica
Estilográfica

Dip pen is "palillero"
and nibs "plumillas".

South American Spanish "pluma fuente"

Italian nib size
XF = Extra Fine
F = Fine
M = Medio
B = Largo
BB = Extra Largo
OB = Obliquo Largo
OM = Obliquo Medio
OF = Obliquo Fine

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Great post, Bo Bo! You usually manage to get a laugh from me!

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

Thank you....sometimes my humor is as dry as the bed of an arroyo with dust of truth.

I'll leave the major turning point of the Church between wise and kindly Pelagius and later to be 'Sainted' bitter Augustine, to another place. :angry: :gaah: .

That was when Mammon won. With the help of Augustine's rich dominate mother. She makes Joan Collins look like Doris Day. ;)

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What an unexpected pleasure to see a mention of the great Orthodox scholar Jaroslav Pelikan here on FPN.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Pelikan was one of those scholars who arises but rarely in any generation. Yes, your search for Pelikan snagged his book, but then you may not have been aware that he existed or had significant name recognition in both the Lutheran and Orthodox world.

Happy searches for more pens!

As Russ suggests, I hadn't heard of him before stumbling on his book searching for pens.

"According to family members, Pelikan's mother taught him how to use a typewriter when he was three years old, as he could not yet hold a pen properly but wanted to write."

He was an impatient little cuss, wasn't he?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaroslav_Pelikan

Interesting thread.

Of course now I'm going to have to be looking this author up, in my copious amount of free time. And I'm only maybe a quarter of the way through all the New Content threads from before I went camping.... :wallbash:

I mean, I haven't even gone through the ads in the Sunday paper, and only did a cursory glance at the accumulated mail (I hope that none of those bills have to go out tomorrow...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen." :) :D :lticaptd: :notworthy1: :thumbup:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen." :) :D :lticaptd: :notworthy1: :thumbup:

I stole that quote from a cartoon someone posted in a thread in the Parker Forum a few years ago (the scene is an air strip, with a couple of pilots). The cartoon was one from an in-house magazine that Parker apparently published for its' employees, and just made me laugh and laugh -- sorry, I don't recall the name of the thread offhand.

Then three summers ago I was in the Seattle area for a family wedding, and my brother-in-law's wife suggested that while people were out there we should all go someplace for sightseeing. My other brother-in-law's daughter had made up a list and we agreed on the Museum of Flight (locally known as "the Boeing Museum", because it's on the grounds of Boeing's original factory; although we didn't end up going to that building). My husband took a photo of me in the World War II gallery, standing in front of the P-51 Mustang they have on display, and holding my Plum 51 Demi Aero (although the photo is a bit on the blurry side). Just because. B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you....sometimes my humor is as dry as the bed of an arroyo with dust of truth. Being a German I can assure you that your example of the variety of words for a fountain pen is not even complete. You can also find Patronenfüllhalter, Patronenfüller... German is such a nice and precise language.

I'll leave the major turning point of the Church between wise and kindly Pelagius and later to be 'Sainted' bitter Augustine, to another place. :angry: :gaah: .

That was when Mammon won. With the help of Augustine's rich dominate mother. She makes Joan Collins look like Doris Day. ;)

Will add those two words....nope...cartridge pens are seldom bought by me...but on second thought...I will add them to the list, in others want that and I do have a couple of Celebry's and a 38x or 39x that are cartridge pens.

Good springy 'true' regular flex nibs. The Steel nib on one Celebry is equal to the gold nib on the other. That 380/90 gold one also.Can be posted, are well balanced.

If you want a CC pen those are good....metal body so heavier than the normal Pleikan.

It did take me quite a long time to dig those words out of German Ebay...

My wife needed two spellings of moccatasse, mokkatasse plus a couple other words for the demi-tasse cups she collects. Sometimes something good was found...cheap in someone used a less popular word.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson