The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Are Gray Inks Worth Buying?

iroshizuku kiri same take sumi heart of darkness gray ink dilute water down black ink

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 IrishEyes

IrishEyes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 21:29

I know that some people sometimes dilute inks to get a different effect, but I think Lexington Gray is perfect just like it is.  It has a "warmth" to the color that I love, plus it reminds me very much of many graphite pencils :-).

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Sponsored Content

#22 pararis

pararis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 21:45

I always viewed gray inks as just watered down blacks so I had no interest. Then I found Graf von Faber-Castell Stone Grey, and that changed everything. It's a beautiful, readable pure gray ink. I ended up with one very good pen dedicated to it. Here's a good review...

https://youtu.be/e_8b27W6uc4

#23 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 21:54

I'm a fan of Diamine Graphite. Well behaved and the color of a soft lead pencil...much like Palamino Blackwing.

Good luck in your search for a grey you like. As a result of this thread, I'm going to check out Noodler Lexington Grey so thanks for posting.

#24 Margana

Margana

The Inkophile

• Member - Gold

• 2,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 23:30

This is a gray ink comparison from 2009.

3451689031_65e33cfd9f_z.jpg

A certified Inkophile
inkophile on tumblr, theinkophile on instagram, inkophile on twitter

#25 mhm802

mhm802

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:35

Being a lover of flex nibs and inks that offer lots of shading, I recommend Diamine Grey after having been using it for several years in my vintage pens. It provides a great flowing ink that dries on paper fairly quick, has not clogged any of my pens, it is a very easy ink to flush from pens, and it provides awesome color shading.

+1 Diamine Grey is a lovely shade

#26 rhymingisfun

rhymingisfun

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:51

Amazing how many colors there are in gray inks! Thanks for sharing

#27 illetterate

illetterate

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:07

This is beautiful and handy, thank you!

#28 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:01

<script src="http://local.ptron/W...n.js"></script>

Warning:  Lexington Grey out of my Baoer 388 is much DARKer than this sample looks like on my monitor.  Based on my past experience, the FPN web site adversely affects/changes how uploaded ink images look.  IOW it does not look like the original photo/scan.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#29 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:21

I love the Iro Fuyu Syogun it is my favorite grey. It seems to me to look more silver on the page than grey. It looks like it is suppose to be that color and not some washed out black like some greys look.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#30 Margana

Margana

The Inkophile

• Member - Gold

• 2,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:01

Warning:  Lexington Grey out of my Baoer 388 is much DARKer than this sample looks like on my monitor.  Based on my past experience, the FPN web site adversely affects/changes how uploaded ink images look.  IOW it does not look like the original photo/scan.

I would remove the image since it is so inaccurate, but others have included it in their posts. Better to stick to text only in future.

A certified Inkophile
inkophile on tumblr, theinkophile on instagram, inkophile on twitter

#31 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:23

zaddick is quite right. There are other factors other than colour.
I've grown to love grey inks, although I prefer darker versions. As an example, Oster Purple Rock is amazing. A dark grey ink, that shades with all the colours of a Welsh slate roof in the rain, including smokey purple. Like no other grey ink I own.
You wouldn't get that watering down a black ink.

Re my previous post, here is Oster Purple Rock in action. The writing is the ink in a Marlen Aleph pen; I think you can see that it looks a darkish, smokey grey. The quick sketch is done with Purple Rock, then washed over with a watercolour brush to show the amazing shades & purple tones. I added back some line details to show the ink as it looks straight from the pen.
I'm loving this ink....

[attachment=369106:image.jpg]

Verba volant, scripta manent

#32 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• 2,066 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:26

If you talk to people with art degrees, you find out black is not a color. Turn up the saturation on any color and you get black. This explains why black clothing doesn't always look good together when you have different brands.

I have Diamine Grey but I would love to get Gris Nuage by J Herbin and the MB Oyster gray. I had the Diamine in a pen, then when it seemed empty I refilled it with my brother"s bottle of Gris Nuage. I liked that color better. But was it only Gris Nuage? Maybe at first it was a bit of a mix.
Posted Image

#33 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:56

I didn't like grey inks at first but they have grown on me, and I think are worth it.  I like the way they shade and It reminds me of my lecture notes from college done in mechanical 0.5 mm pencil.  I like MB Oyster Grey. 

#34 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:50

Awesome illustration Migo!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#35 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,726 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:15

Awesome illustration Migo!

Thank you :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

#36 Lord Epic

Lord Epic

Just the kid with the fountain pens... no, don't mind me...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:29

Of course!

Not a big fan of black - reminds me too much of schoolwork, so grey is a good alternative.

Yet I do mix my grey with a little black or else it'll look too washed out and light in my EF and F nibs. Currently, my new favourite pen holds a 4 to 1 grey and black mix.

+1 for Lexington Grey, great ink that one.

~Epic

Letter Writers Alliance

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

#37 JulesSilvan

JulesSilvan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 13:09

For me, grey inks are absolutely worth it. A bit more character and easier on the eyes than a standard black - not that there's anything wrong with black ink, of course, just that sometimes you need something a little different.

Sailor Kobe #31 was the first ink that I really fell in love with. It reminds me of rocks saturated by the sea before it dries to a more typical rock colour.

#38 DaveBj

DaveBj

Viking Pen Wielder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2016 - 18:20

This has been a very useful thread.  I already have and like Diamine Graphite, and now I can see that I need to add a couple other greys to my acquisition list. 

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick.  --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

#39 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• 4,203 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 23:49

This is mostly another "me too" post.  I used to think grey inks were essentially just washed out blacks.

However, I discovered Kiri Same and my view was changed instantly. I love how it looks in broad nibbed pens (I mostly use stub and CI nibs.)  I also like how it sometimes looks like a pencil line in a fine nibbed pen.  Lexington Grey is a great ink for those (decreasingly few) times when I want a waterproof ink, but I love the color regardless of its properties.

I also recently tried Papier Plume's Oyster Grey and find the blue tinge to its grey kind of fun.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#40 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:56

<script src="http://local.ptron/W...n.js"></script>

I would remove the image since it is so inaccurate, but others have included it in their posts. Better to stick to text only in future.

I have seen great color images here on FPN.  But I think the posters are using a photo hosting service, then linking their post to the photo on that site.  That would avoid the degrading problem that the FPN software does to images.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iroshizuku, kiri same, take sumi, heart of darkness, gray ink, dilute, water down, black ink

Sponsored Content

|