Is Flushing A Pen Bad?(With Water)

Needhelp

whenever i run out of ink i flush the pen with water and change the ink colour.i run out of ink in 3 to 4 days of using it.So is it bad or can cause harm to the pen by using filtered or drinking water from the water purifier and flushing it out that many times?Thank you.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FOUR X FOUR

• Needhelp

• AndyYNWA

• Kelly G

A couple of thoughts:

1. The more you handle a pen with frequent flushing/cleaning, the greater the risk of accidents occurring; dropping the nib & section in the sink comes to mind. Admittedly it is not highly likely, but the added risk is there.

2. If you are changing ink, color, brand, etc., you definitely need to flush the pen before adding the new ink. Not all inks play well together.

3. If I am filling with the same ink, I rarely flush the pen with water, unless it is an Iron Gall or highly dye saturated ink. I will flush the pen if it begins showing signs of problems.

Good luck with your pens!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I don't think flushing water in is a problem, but are you completely flushing the water out? I use a bulb syringe to squeeze water in, then empty that and use it to squeeze air in to drive the water out, seems to be working.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I am happy to hear that you are writing so much and enjoying your fountain pen!

Be assured that you are doing exactly the right thing. You didn't mention what pen you are using but if it is a piston-filled pen (like a Pelikan) the piston will need lubrication with silicone grease occasionally. Cartridge converters are usually trouble free but they too can take a minuscule bit of lubrication.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I don't think flushing water in is a problem, but are you completely flushing the water out? I use a bulb syringe to squeeze water in, then empty that and use it to squeeze air in to drive the water out, seems to be working.

i use a cartridge and syringe method to flush my pens.

I am happy to hear that you are writing so much and enjoying your fountain pen!

Be assured that you are doing exactly the right thing. You didn't mention what pen you are using but if it is a piston-filled pen (like a Pelikan) the piston will need lubrication with silicone grease occasionally. Cartridge converters are usually trouble free but they too can take a minuscule bit of lubrication.

Thank you.The pen mainly i am specifiying is a lamy safari great pen love it.I did lubricate the piston mechanism of the converter with traxxas 50k the one that are used in rubik's cubes and the work really well.

Good response

If I am refilling the pen with the same ink (brand and color), then I don't flush the pen with water. I keep a pen and ink log to keep track of when I last filled a pen and with what ink. After 3-5 fills, I may choose to do a flush depending on the ink characteristics.

I always flush my pens if they are coming out of rotation and back into storage.

If you are changing to any other ink than what was previously filled, you should flush your pen. The effects minor like an unusual color. Or the results could be worse like turning the ink to a sludge.

You are doing well.

Buzz

I did lubricate the piston mechanism of the converter with traxxas 50k the one that are used in rubik's cubes and the work really well.

haha glad to know someone else has seen the crossover ;) I too grab for my little RC bottles when needing a bit of silicone lubrication... mostly Losi/Associated oils & Kyosho greases.

For moving parts & rubber seals I prefer oil... 80-100wt seems good.

The diff greases I mainly use to seal threads that don't move often, like eyedropper conversions.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it recommended to make the last flush with deionized water?

The tap water where I live has quite a lot of minerals in it and I'm a bit worried lime deposit will interfere with the ink flow.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Is it recommended to make the last flush with deionized water?

The tap water where I live has quite a lot of minerals in it and I'm a bit worried lime deposit will interfere with the ink flow.

I have very hard water where I live -- I *always* use distilled water for pen flushing. I see the buildup along the base of the tap and really don't like the idea of that possibly gunking up nibs and feeds. I do rinse the caps out under the tap, but often do a final rinse with the distilled water as well. And of course, when I'm making up ammonia solution (or, in the case of flushing iron gall inks, vinegar solution) I use the distilled water as well (for both mixing up the solution or for pre- and post- flushing/soaking with whichever I'm using).

Not sure if distilled water and de-ionized water are the same thing, though, so I can't help you there. Here in the States it's easy to buy distilled water -- it's in the same section of the grocery store as regular bottled water, and I buy it in gallon jugs.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I guessed it couldn't be a bad idea.

It's quite a pain to get hold of distilled water in Sweden, hence my question regarding deionized water, which you can buy at any petrol station and in many supermarkets.

YNWA - JFT97

Hey Andy, if you can get deionized water, go ahead and get it. It's actually more pure than distilled water

I have very hard water where I live -- I *always* use distilled water for pen flushing. I see the buildup along the base of the tap and really don't like the idea of that possibly gunking up nibs and feeds. I do rinse the caps out under the tap, but often do a final rinse with the distilled water as well. And of course, when I'm making up ammonia solution (or, in the case of flushing iron gall inks, vinegar solution) I use the distilled water as well (for both mixing up the solution or for pre- and post- flushing/soaking with whichever I'm using).

Not sure if distilled water and de-ionized water are the same thing, though, so I can't help you there. Here in the States it's easy to buy distilled water -- it's in the same section of the grocery store as regular bottled water, and I buy it in gallon jugs.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

No, they're not the same. Different processes are used. Deionized water is actually the best.

As others have said, if you are just refilling with the SAME ink, I would not bother flushing.

I would flush it after say 5 or 6 fills, but no sooner.

However if you are using a staturated ink, maybe flush every other fill.

For a change of ink, then yes, a really good flushing and soaking, to get all the old ink out. That is unless you like to see the ink change color as you write. But be careful of mixing brands, some brands do not mix well with others, and you get a bad reaction when they mix.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hey Andy, if you can get deionized water, go ahead and get it. It's actually more pure than distilled water

Brilliant! :)

YNWA - JFT97

ok didnt know that was something but deionized water is quite expensive here in kuwait but what i use is a water purifier from my home used for drinking water the brand is coolpex and guess what till we have water in the tank i have it alll for free>yay. :)