The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Calling All Sonnets: Section Replacement

sonnet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:09

So a long time ago I bought two Sonnets, and promptly managed to destroy their nibs, this was back when I had no idea and zero patience; I finally managed to track down a nib and feed at a decent price, and it worked out great for one; now the other one is a horror story, the feed broke inside the section and there's no way to dislodge it, so here's the question: would the cheapest solution be simply to buy a complete pen on ebay, just to use the section? I wouldn't want to deal with fake nibs but would an original feed and nib fit a fake section? It's a 90's Sonnet in black with gold trim.

As I write this it's sounding more and more ludicrous, but with shipping from the UK (to the US) a section costs as much as a new pen, possibly not even a fake one... I've never bought a fake or super cheap pen (only Lamys, Mujis and up), it's taken me too long to appreciate pens to start doing battle with them again. Thoughts?

PS I'm seeing cheap Sonnet Flighter, would those work?

Edited by pseudo88, 03 August 2016 - 01:11.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Sponsored Content

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:22

You could contact Newell Rubbermaid to see about a section.  1-800-237-8736.   I know what you mean about the price of sections from the UK.  Not cheap and the shipping is high.  I think most international shipping seems high these days.

The feed is threaded into the section.  I wonder if you could use a small screw extractor with a drill to get the feed out.  Then your section would be saved.

Edited by pajaro, 03 August 2016 - 02:22.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#3 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,927 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 13:45

You could contact Newell Rubbermaid to see about a section.  1-800-237-8736.   I know what you mean about the price of sections from the UK.  Not cheap and the shipping is high.  I think most international shipping seems high these days.

The feed is threaded into the section.  I wonder if you could use a small screw extractor with a drill to get the feed out.  Then your section would be saved.

Thanks, I tried dislodging it, but then I realized I was probably destroying the liner that I think goes inside the section, so even if I managed flow would be probably compromised.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#4 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 12,840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2016 - 16:12

There's no liner.  Whatever is left in the section needs to unscrew.  The Sonnet nib clips onto the feed, two "ears" on the nib clipping onto the feed.  This nib unit screws into the section.  There's no liner such as you find on an Esterbrook or on a Pelikan nib unit. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,927 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 18:16

There's no liner.  Whatever is left in the section needs to unscrew.  The Sonnet nib clips onto the feed, two "ears" on the nib clipping onto the feed.  This nib unit screws into the section.  There's no liner such as you find on an Esterbrook or on a Pelikan nib unit. 

I think he calls it the inner section: http://www.fountainp...uts-of-sonnets/

B. Russell

#6 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 12,840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:28

It's more like a two-part section.  I don't like to separate those parts.  I think I ran into some issues. 

#7 athar201

athar201

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2016 - 13:40

do you need a gold nib or a gold plated nib please let me know 

ali

#8 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,927 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 19:32

do you need a gold nib or a gold plated nib please let me know 

ali

I got a steel nib for the other one, and would get another one if I solve the section problem.

B. Russell

#9 ajcoleman

ajcoleman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2016 - 22:53

I bought a Sonnet nib unit from John Montishaw at Classic Pens  (www.nibs.com). He sells new Sonnet nib units with the nib and feed installed in the section, ready to screw into the pen body. I bought an 18K gold fine Sonnet unit, and it is hands down the nicest nib I own. It is definitely NOT inexpensive. He only sells gold nibs, and hand tunes and smooths them to your specs. You could easily buy a couple used Sonnets for the price, but if the pen is worth it to you, I  am sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

Adam
Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

#10 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,927 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 15:51

I bought a Sonnet nib unit from John Montishaw at Classic Pens  (www.nibs.com). He sells new Sonnet nib units with the nib and feed installed in the section, ready to screw into the pen body. I bought an 18K gold fine Sonnet unit, and it is hands down the nicest nib I own. It is definitely NOT inexpensive. He only sells gold nibs, and hand tunes and smooths them to your specs. You could easily buy a couple used Sonnets for the price, but if the pen is worth it to you, I  am sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

Thanks, I managed to revive my other Sonnet with a steel nib from Forecast Pens via amazon, it's excellent, very smooth, I got some Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris for it, the combination just glides even on Fabriano ecoqua paper; and the packaging just for the nib is impressive, a small nib container, inside a Parker box, inside another box. All for about $30 USD.

B. Russell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sonnet

Sponsored Content

|