The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 51 Oblique

parker parker 51 oblique

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xinglongneo

xinglongneo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2016 - 19:11

I'd like to know about other people's experiences with Parker 51 oblique nibs. The one I own is the finickiest nib I've got.

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2016 - 20:21

The problem with oblique nibs is that you have to hold them just right, so that the oblique cut is evenly on the paper. And do NOT rotate your hand, or you will roll off the sweet spot on the nib.

The other problem is that the hooded nib, which hides most of the nib, makes it difficult to get a visual reference on the nib, so it is difficult (for me) to get the nib level on the paper. This would be 2x more difficult with an oblique nib.

I had 2 obliques (left foot), a Lamy and Pelikan, and did not like how they wrote, so I changed the nibs on both pens.

Edited by ac12, 01 August 2016 - 20:23.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:37

Do you have an original Parker nib or a modified nib?

I have had original Parker nibs and found them to be quite nice. I have also had modified nibs and found most to be bunk.

FB
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 OilMugs

OilMugs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 18:49

With all respect to other posters my experience is different. Because I always rotate any nib around 30 degrees anti clockwise I find that obliques suit me very well, I have only ever owned tow Parker 51 obliques, one LH the other RH and was surprised that the RH nib worked well.

By contrast I cannot use an itallic, I end up ploughing a furrow into the paper. If you are finding an oblique to be finnicky, try the rotation and then write large C and O and lower case g and y, you should soon manage this sort of C in terms of line variation..

Edited by Kenlowe, 02 August 2016 - 18:50.

#5 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2016 - 22:41

The only (left) oblique I've ever tried was a 51. Just couldn't get the hang of writing with it, so I ended up selling it.

I suspect that 51 obliques might be harder to write with than pens with open nibs since the hooded style makes it harder to judge the correct alignment to the paper.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#6 xinglongneo

xinglongneo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 17:43

Do you have an original Parker nib or a modified nib?

I have had original Parker nibs and found them to be quite nice. I have also had modified nibs and found most to be bunk.

FB

I'm not sure if it's an original or a modified. I can't find any date codes on the pen, and at the time of purchase, my grandparents would have been living in South Africa (the pen was my grandmother's). Based on what else I know of their lives, it was likely bought in England. So there's a chance it has an original Parker oblique, but I can't be positive.

I do also know that someone fiddled with the pen at some point and put in the feed/collector in backwards and then forgot the spacer. So...the nib's history is a bit murky.

#7 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2016 - 20:34

I have two 51s with oblique nibs but somehow I couldnt make myself at ease writng with them. Same is the case with one of my 75s that too has an oblique nib.

Edited by mitto, 09 August 2016 - 20:35.

Khan M. Ilyas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, parker 51, oblique

Sponsored Content

|