Cold Versus Hot, Dry Versus Humid - Different Inks For Different Climates?

DrDebG

I live in a dry climate with cold winters and hot summers. As a person with a chemistry background, it is easy to realize that temperature and humidity would effect ink properties, and their corresponding behavior in some pens and papers. But, I never realized how much until now.

I have spent the last month in Asia, in very hot and humid climates. About half of this time was in a fairly tropical area and the other half in a subtropical area. Wow! My inks react a lot differently here than at home. My favorite inks that have great sheen and shading take FOREVER to dry here! I hate to tell you how many times I have smeared pages. Other inks that I never liked because they dried in the nib and left nib crud at home are positively wonderful here! And those pens that were hard starters at home, write like a dream here.

I now understand why most fountain pen users that I have met here love extra fine and fine nibs, and stub nibs are hard to find here - although fude nibs are everywhere prompting me to buy a few. I now understand why many of the fine journals here are filled with a more absorbent paper than Tomoe River. I am still a Tomoe River lover and will just learn to be patient and wait longer for the ink to dry.

Have you noticed this before? I would love to hear your observations.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SeeksAdvice

• Sandy1

• amberleadavis

• DrDebG

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't leave your pens in the car overnight during winter here. "Polar" inks won't save you. I wish I had kept the picture of the bottle of "Polar Blue" I had that froze solid outside at -18F, which really isn't that cold for these parts.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Hi,

From my experience performance appears to be driven by primarily the condition of the paper:

> even if using a Nodder;s 'Polar' ink, if the paper's frozen it is not ready to absorb FP ink;

> in hot humid conditions, the paper has a high water content, which distracts the ink from the cellulose of the paper, that can degrade line quality and promote line-width gain (spread) and bleed -show-through, and extend dry times to absurd duration - microwave those pages?

>> I haven't used cellulose-reactive inks under such conditions, so I hope to learn from other Members how those fare.

I wonder how the nano-particle inks fare under various extreme conditions. (?)

When in the field I prefer an iron-gall ink, which handles the vast majority of conditions. Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is also highly reliable, and R&K Sepia seems to be doing well.

I carry my pen upon my person, so it shares my micro-climate and is ready to go.

My field satchel includes a Parker Jotter with a Fisher Space Pen refill and a Sharpie - horses for courses. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

DrPenFection, when I first started on FPN, I posted about my troubles and I was convinced I was crazy. Now, I know that the problem is trying to use FPs in Nevada - more inks dry out in the nib, and are fussy. I'm so glad you are able to report how different the humid climate is for pen usage. I can't wait to read about your experiences when you get back to Nevada.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Last November I moved 120kms (inland and upwards). I was 30m above sea level in the inner suburbs of a city of 4 million people. I now live 500m above sea level in a town of 3,400 people that's is not far from the city but much colder in winter. It's my first Winter here and I'm noticing so many inks are dryer, especially first thing in the morning. As both summers are hot and dry I hadn't noticed any difference until recently when Winter set in. I'm finding it fascinating.