Ink Run Out Test: Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller

mikemargolis

As a guy who travels a lot and writes a LOT, and doesn't like to carry ink or multiple pens, I've found the Conid to be a great pen for me.

The big one, the Kingsize, holds about 3.0ml of ink due to it's fairly unique filling system. You can go to YouTube and search Conid, and you'll find lots of videos showing how the Bulkfiller works, and how the pen is made.

But here is a short 1 minute video to show, in clear terms, how much writing 3.0ml fink equates to.

Hope you Enjoy!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mikemargolis

• fountainbel

• eliweisz

• pensive_ink

Thank you for taking the time to do this mikemargolis ! Very impressive (nice writing by the way) and a great pen too...

Thank you for sharing! That is a lot of ink. I am, however, probably not a good person for this type of pen, since I like to use many different colors. For me smaller amounts work fine since I also clean my pens so often.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks for the video. I have been looking at the Conid Kingsize for some time now.

I'm curious what size and type of nib you're using? While we're at it, what kind of ink did you use for this test?

Pardon me if you mentioned these things in the video --I'm currently unable to review the entire video so I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks again.

Thank you for doing this.

May I ask what nib you have on that pen?

http://www.mikemargolis.com/macassar.jpg

I'm curious what size and type of nib you're using? While we're at it, what kind of ink did you use for this test?

The nib is the Conid titanium nib, size M. It is a branded Bock nib.

The pen and nib are both wet, and I'd say the nib is a bit on the broad side. I actually thought about have it ground down a little finer, but decided that I do like the look that this pen gives on paper.

The ink is Diamane Macassar, a beautiful brown with lots of black in it. When it dries, it almost looks black, but has that purple/brown hue to it. If you have seen or used Iroshizuku yama-guri, it is exactly the same color.

This color matches my business' stationery ink color, so I use it almost exclusively. I've already burned through the full 50ml bottle of yama-guri, and am about 1/3 through the 80ml of the Diamine.

Edited by mikemargolis

Wow. So with my extra fine nib proclivities I could go for weeks without emptying that pen. Thanks much for the test.

The nib is the Conid titanium nib, size M. It is a branded Bock nib.

Thank you for the response. I generally gravitate toward deep blue or blue-green inks, but I must admit I find your samples quite nice.

I'm really yearning for this pen, but alas I am burdened with other financial priorities. Meanwhile I'll just dream about which nib I'll end up with; medium or fine. Maybe one of each! :)

I'm really yearning for this pen, but alas I am burdened with other financial priorities.

I agonized about the price of this pen also. Then when the Euro dropped like a stone, and I was able to get the sale without VAT, it was still painful, but not as bad. There are NONE of them on the used market, they just almost never pop up.

. There are NONE of them on the used market, they just almost never pop up.

As anyone who owns one knows: that's hardly surprising!

Too many pens; too little writing.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Did it again, got 30 pages this time. Guess I pulled a little more ink into the chamber this time.

:)

Update: Did it again, got 30 pages this time. Guess I pulled a little more ink into the chamber this time.

:)

:thumbup:

Practice, patience, perseverance

Hi Mike,

Thanks for shearing your 'ink run-out" test very interesting !

Tip for filing any Bulkfiller to its maximum capacity : push piston down, screw filling knob fully on, put nib in ink so front of section is under ink level, unscrew filling knob, pull piston up, park / lock piston radially , slide rod in and close filling knob .

Doing so one gains approximately 3 mm piston stroke, meaning a complementary ink intake of nearly 0.2ml.

Hope this helps !

Francis

PS : The above does not apply to the Kingsize CAISO, on these pens the filling knob screws only one millimeter on the barrel enclosure flange