The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Length Of "small" Dip Pen Vs. Early Slip Cap

mabie todd dip pen

2 replies to this topic

#1 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2016 - 23:45

I was looking at my now complete telescoping dip pen, and thought the length comparison was interesting.

Here it is, extended, next to a typical early MT pen with a slip cap. This one has the rotating (NOT "rotting") (edit after below post...)  collar to secure the cap on a pin on the section (it is shown in this thread). But it is the exact same size as my slip cap pens with over/under feeds.

While the dip pen appears to be a small pen, it is actually a very standard sized pen when extended for use.

fpn_1469835488__mt_dip_slider___29.jpg

Edited by Greenie, 30 July 2016 - 01:29.
correct typo that made other funny word....

Sponsored Content

#2 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:12

I think it was part of the early marketing strategy for fountain pens to make them look like the dip pens that customers were familiar with.

I mentioned in another thread how taper cap fountain pens seem to deliberately evoke the tapered shafts of the older dip pen handles:

LoZXApd.jpg

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#3 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:32

Not being a dip pen collector, I never thought about that before!     :headsmack:

EoC makes a great logical point, and the photo above is a great example of the taper cap.

I love it when things start to fit together and make sense!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd, dip pen

Sponsored Content

|