Montblanc Engraving Service And Cracks

kurus

But in this regard, how would you protect yourself? do you have to photographically prove that before sending it off to germany or anything, that the pen was in pristine condition?

This seems like an awful lot to do to protect oneself. Especially to a company as large and "luxuriously branded" as montblanc.

Seems to me sometimes salespeople even at the boutiques may not be the best to trust, be it their fault or not, they are humans too and likely to miss something but the offchance the damage was incurred during shipping they could simply say they dont know and then you would be liable to pay the fee.

I would suggest utilising the method Pravda suggested earlier in the thread.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kurus

• Chrissy

• View from the Loft

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would suggest utilising the method Pravda suggested earlier in the thread.

Agreed, trouble is that for this case its a bit 'after the event'

Agreed, trouble is that for this case its a bit 'after the event'

Sadly, yes.

But it's a method I make use of when entrusting any of my property that is of value to another - it protects both parties.

Unfortunately there is no proof that the damage did not exist prior to the pen being handed in at Canary Wharf. While the crack may have occurred in transit to Germany, equally, it may not.

Yes, you are upset about damage to your pen (as would I), but at this point I do not feel that it is fair to say that Montblanc are responsible for the damage.

For your own sake, as you have already said that you are willing to pay the repair charge, let this one go and chalk it up to experience.

If the pictures I've taken and the receipt of the previous recent service are not a proof then you are right.

My goal at the beginning was actually to report this as an experience and, yes, getting some usefull suggestions if possible but then there seems to be no happy ending for this thing so I'm just doing as I've written.

Ciro
"I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
-Mewtwo

If the pictures I've taken and the receipt of the previous recent service are not a proof then you are right.

My goal at the beginning was actually to report this as an experience and, yes, getting some usefull suggestions if possible but then there seems to be no happy ending for this thing so I'm just doing as I've written.

I wouldnt give up quite yet.

And the reason i deal directly with the service centre; fortunately for myself the service centre is closer than the boutique :)

It's a shame, but I formed the same impression as Kenlowe regarding one of the staff members at Canary Wharf - hence why I limit myself to buying ink there.

May I suggest the boutique in Royal Exchange instead? Both staff there actually fill me with confidence that they are are sensible as well as being pleasant people to deal with.

It's a shame, but I formed the same impression as Kenlowe regarding one of the staff members at Canary Wharf - hence why I limit myself to buying ink there.

May I suggest the boutique in Royal Exchange instead? Both staff there actually fill me with confidence that they are are sensible as well as being pleasant people to deal with.

I would second that, speak to Paul at Royal Exchange, he is a real pen fan and even asks me what pens I have with me so that he can try them out, especially vintage MBs.

Whilst you are in the building go and have lunch, lovely place.

It seems to me from the various and sundry comments on MB service posted on this forum and elsewhere that on any given day the customer might meet the "Good Mr. MB" or his evil twin, the "Bad Mr. MB" when patronizing the company boutiques. I'd avoid this nagging uncertainty and potential aggravation by purchasing a used pen from a FPN seller or a reputable, interested, knowledgeable dealer at a show. Prices are better and you're usually dealing with a fellow collector or at least someone with a personal stake in the outcome, rather than a corporate entity that's more interested in sales than service...or so it appears, at least when "Bad Mr/Ms. MB" is behind the counter.

If I were in this situation, I'd make a point of speaking with the boutique's general manager. If they're not easily available, I'd ask to make an appointment with them.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

" A happy customer is much more valuable than a dissatisfied customer! "

As a former owner of a Montblanc boutique I would have handled this specific case with much more aplomb. I would have had made the service and the part exchange and charged this customer for the engraving and for nothing else.

Good call.

If I were in this situation, I'd make a point of speaking with the boutique's general manager. If they're not easily available, I'd ask to make an appointment with them.

I like this idea.

Well, I should have started to fear when he has said "What is this? A 146?"

Since a lot of you are talking very well about this Boutique and Mister Paul I think I'll probably visit it if I'll have some other luxurious writing needings.

Ciro
"I see now that the Circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
-Mewtwo

This is a tough one -- not the issue, but the emotional component.

The person, who caused the crack, is responsible for the replacement. I don't say "repair" because there isn't going to be any. The remedy is replacement of the pen barrel. Once the crack begins, it will progress. The absence of a water leak does not negate the existence of a crack, only that the crack is not leaking. The crack exists regardless of detection or failure of detection. The crack may have occurred before you acquired the pen. You have offered no evidence as to the responsible party. It is a 35-year-old pen. Montblancs are expensive to own and use.

1. Ask the other parties (Montblanc or the boutique) to pay for the repairs.

2. Pay for the repairs yourself.

3. Don't have the repairs performed.

I hope that this becomes a small matter, that pales with time, as your future proceeds joyfully.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

This is a simple matter of how a customer is treated by a company. In this case, the customer isn't happy. Discontent with MB service seems to be a recurrent theme, as even a cursory perusal of various threads on this forum and elsewhere immediately reveal. Perhaps customer service isn't an important business consideration for MB: if it is, maybe they'd better reconsider how some clients perceive the company's attitude. Emotions, pragmatism...does it really matter?

This is a tough one -- not the issue, but the emotional component.

The person, who caused the crack, is responsible for the replacement. I don't say "repair" because there isn't going to be any. The remedy is replacement of the pen barrel. Once the crack begins, it will progress. The absence of a water leak does not negate the existence of a crack, only that the crack is not leaking. The crack exists regardless of detection or failure of detection. The crack may have occurred before you acquired the pen. You have offered no evidence as to the responsible party. It is a 35-year-old pen. Montblancs are expensive to own and use.

1. Ask the other parties (Montblanc or the boutique) to pay for the repairs.

2. Pay for the repairs yourself.

3. Don't have the repairs performed.

I hope that this becomes a small matter, that pales with time, as your future proceeds joyfully.

Dear Sasha Royale

This thing is becoming repetitive and boring, I've written several times - and now again - that whatever will be the decision of MontBlanc (to discount me or not, to charge me or not) I'll pay the entire amount for the engraving and the substitution and not a penny less. I can even give 'em a tip.

And, anyway, the pen ha been serviced on June 7 and no damages were reported.

This is a simple matter of how a customer is treated by a company. In this case, the customer isn't happy. Discontent with MB service seems to be a recurrent theme, as even a cursory perusal of various threads on this forum and elsewhere immediately reveal. Perhaps customer service isn't an important business consideration for MB: if it is, maybe they'd better reconsider how some clients perceive the company's attitude. Emotions, pragmatism...does it really matter?

Hello KAC,

I've dealt with many companies in my life, for example once with Microsoft I had a problem with my 4-years-old mouse, the receiver was not working, they've asked me to choose another mouse from their catalogue because the mouse I had was not manufactured anymore and they've sent it to me free of charge, they've payed even the shipping.

Obviously if today I need another mouse I look for a Microsoft one.

I could tell other several examples but the point is clear.

Regards,

Ciro

Ciro
-Mewtwo

Since a lot of you are talking very well about this Boutique and Mister Paul I think I'll probably visit it if I'll have some other luxurious writing needings.

If this is the Paul who worked for Montblanc at Harrods in the 1980th to early '90th he is one of the long term staff of Montblanc in London. Afterwards he took over the (at that time) new Boutique in the bank district and, yes, he will know the product line of Montblanc and how to treat a customer. :happy:

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

If this is the Paul who worked for Montblanc at Harrods in the 1980th to early '90th he is one of the long term staff of Montblanc in London. Afterwards he took over the (at that time) new Boutique in the bank district and, yes, he will know the product line of Montblanc and how to treat a customer. :happy:

I've noticed that boutique a couple of times yet when going from the Liverpool street station to the bank one (the central line and its closures :|) and from the outside seemed to be a nice place, unfortunately me and the MontBlanc boutiques seem to have the exact same working hours except for Fridays and the weekend so it was closed. Then I do live in Canary Wharf...

I'll find an excuse to go there and talk to Mr. Paul sometime. :)

Edited by kurus

Ciro
-Mewtwo

I happen to know the manageress in Canary Wharf. It's my understanding that she's not there at the moment due to maternity leave.