Do You Feel Guilty Sending A Letter In Black Ink?

radellaf

Nope.

I do feel guilty for all the correspondence I owe. Sigh.

this isn't really relevant, but I just noticed your epigraph line above your user pic--really like it B)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• radellaf

• TSherbs

• Rednaxela

• darazs

Nope.

I do feel guilty for all the correspondence I owe. Sigh.

It's not like I have a problem with black ink. Well, maybe I have a problem...

http://i.imgur.com/WrZNlS0.jpg

but yeah <sigh>, I definitely have a backlog. World of Snail Mail in front, InCoWriMo in the back, FPN penpals in the middle.

http://i.imgur.com/NJWiO6B.jpg

• 1 month later...

I write some people that the color of the ink isn't a thing - that's ok, I'll still switch up my color in the middle of the letter for the fun of it. I'll skip the descriptions of the ink itself though, since their interest in why I find blue#1 more interesting than blue#2 is faint at best.

Then there are the folks that I've met here that are into ink. I'll talk about ink and upcoming ink purchases, since that's interesting to them. I've even had a few requests for a letter written in part with a particular ink. There's nothing better than seeing an example of ink actually in use to figure out if it is something you'd be into or not.

To answer the original question: I have no guilt around sending a letter in black or colored inks.

Did I miss something? What's wrong with black that it should be guilt inducing? My first bottle of ink was black because it was safe. After that I was hooked on color so I can't say I write letters in black. I've received a number of letters in black however and have never felt that it gave a dark or unfriendly message.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Did I miss something? What's wrong with black that it should be guilt inducing?

It's not living up to a fountain pen writer's potential to do something with the vast options available in this hobby to both make a letter more interesting to look at, and demonstrate that you know how cool it is to have lots of ink colors to choose from. Sure, you could talk about why Iroshizuku Take-Sume is your favorite these days, and I'd enjoy hearing why, but when a FP fan pulls it out of the envelope, it's going to look like black ink. Every pen type comes in black. Doesn't make the FP-ness of a letter stand out. Black with an italic nib, well, OK, that's something. Interesting paper could show you're an involved hobbyist just like all those ink people, but putting your focus on paper these days.

But if I load up some Pilot Black in a Custom 74 and write on some 20lb copy paper, I may have a fine time writing the letter, but it's going to look little different than if I'd grabbed a black V5 or (shiver) even a G2 gel pen.

Showing some of your FP savvy (presumably) won't make the words you're writing any _less_ interesting, so it feels, to me, lazy not to pick out something nice. OTOH, sometimes, I am just in the mood for a nice basic black. It is a popular writing color for a reason.

It's not living up to a fountain pen writer's potential to do something with the vast options available in this hobby to both make a letter more interesting to look at, and demonstrate that you know how cool it is to have lots of ink colors to choose from. Sure, you could talk about why Iroshizuku Take-Sume is your favorite these days, and I'd enjoy hearing why, but when a FP fan pulls it out of the envelope, it's going to look like black ink. Every pen type comes in black. Doesn't make the FP-ness of a letter stand out. Black with an italic nib, well, OK, that's something. Interesting paper could show you're an involved hobbyist just like all those ink people, but putting your focus on paper these days.

But if I load up some Pilot Black in a Custom 74 and write on some 20lb copy paper, I may have a fine time writing the letter, but it's going to look little different than if I'd grabbed a black V5 or (shiver) even a G2 gel pen.

Showing some of your FP savvy (presumably) won't make the words you're writing any _less_ interesting, so it feels, to me, lazy not to pick out something nice. OTOH, sometimes, I am just in the mood for a nice basic black. It is a popular writing color for a reason.

Ahh, interest factor. That's the very reason my very first bottle of Noodler's Polar Black is almost full. Nobody on seeing it will question its properties but any color not available in ballpoint will stand out, especially if it looks as though it's come from a fountain pen.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Why on Earth would anyone feel guilty? And if someone did judge on the colour of the ink, pity them.

It's only the content that counts.

Edited by Bluey

I don't EVEN have a bottle of black ink! I was a "black ink only" man for so, so, so many years ----- until I discovered "colors!" Once a person has found "the wonderful world of colors," it may be impossible to go back!!!!!!!!!

C. S. :)

Do you feel guilty writing a letter entirely in a single color ink?

The people I write to most often are also into pens, inks and calligraphy, so I often write letters with the purpose of showing off several nibs and/or inks.

When I do write a letter using black ink only, I don't feel guilty (about the ink I'm using). Am I supposed to? :huh:

David

Edited by dms525

Why on Earth would anyone feel guilty? And if someone did judge on the colour of the ink, pity them.

It's only the content that counts.

wait

your user name is "bluey"

;)

wait

your user name is "bluey"

;)

Yup yup, but that's my favourite colour. I write in all colours though depending on mood and whim, but 'd never judge other people's choice.

Why on Earth would anyone feel guilty?... It's only the content that counts.

I feel a little guilty because I could easily use a color you'd never find in a non-fountain pen, and that makes the letter more interesting to anyone who cares, at absolutely no cost to the content.

And, respectfully, if ONLY, the content counts, then I might as well be using a gel pen. As far as the recipient is concerned. Of course, in the writing, I'll be enjoying using my black-ink-filled FP.

I feel a little guilty because I could easily use a color you'd never find in a non-fountain pen, and that makes the letter more interesting to anyone who cares, at absolutely no cost to the content.

And, respectfully, if ONLY, the content counts, then I might as well be using a gel pen. As far as the recipient is concerned. Of course, in the writing, I'll be enjoying using my black-ink-filled FP.

Yes, but isn't it your choice to use a fountain pen? I don't suppose your recipient will care, and there is no reason why they should("Oh gosh, you mean you had green ink and you didn't use it for me??? You thoughtless monster!!"), then there should be no need to feel any guilt.

Edited by Bluey

I'm coming to the conversation late but I'll chime in because I have another take on the topic.

As a woman I have never apologized for wearing the proverbial "little black dress" because it is classic, understated elegance. In fact I'm not much of a fashionista because I feel anything that attracts attention to my outside is a distraction to knowing me. Sure, I know the outside is the first impression but if that's all you got... I prefer for others to remember me rather than my costume.

I believe the people who read these forums are intelligent enough to draw the parallels between dress and ink/paper. Black ink in an otherwise quality presentation should lead into content and enhance it. YMMV

And, respectfully, if ONLY, the content counts, then I might as well be using a gel pen.

Now that is just some crazy *&^%$#@ talk!

I mainly feel guilty for not writing letters at all...

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Ain't that the truth... been halfway through one for a month now. Time to put aside the Netflix and the WoW for an hour.