Do You Feel Guilty Sending A Letter In Black Ink?

radellaf

One other thing to consider about black inks is that some have a lot of character. For example, I have some Bookbinders Red-belly Black Snake. It is a black with a nice red sheen. Noodler's has several blacks that are interesting, though my favorite is Dark Matter.

Speaking for myself, I own more bottles of black than makes any kind of sense.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• radellaf

• TSherbs

• Rednaxela

• Bluey

I've a few 1.1 italics that I run Noodler's Black in. It is such a deep, rich black mark that paired with the right color paper looks rather sharp, if I do say so myself.

My only guilt in writing to others is if I wait too long to do so, never with the pen or ink choice for the words and the act are far more important than the tools used to do it.

I do usually wait too long, I'm with ya there.

The difference is, avoiding procrastination is a lot harder than using interesting colors of ink. And, of course, fretting the details is always a good way to delay actually doing something.

Use whatever ink you like to use.

For DECADES my standard ink was Parker Quink BLACK.

I have branched out to other colors, but black is my standard formal ink.

FPN Pen Paling is about writing with a pen.

IMHO, if you want to write in different colors, that is besides the point.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Most of my 40+ pens have interesting colors in them but a Parker Sonnet with a factory italic and a Hua Hong HH-8 have black in them. The Sonnet is really dark with Quink black at about double saturation (evaporated, filled again with ink without cleaning it out) and the HH-8 has a 20+ year old generic black cartridge I had to add water to. I'd kinda like to use them, but feel guilty sending a penpal a letter in boring ink. Kinda feel the same about unsaturated blues like 4001 or Waterman.

I used to have a Vac 700 smoke with 80% Noodler's Black in it. Since that's waterproof, I used it for addressing envelopes. Not sure how, but it left a film in the barrel I had trouble removing, so that pen's empty and waiting for me to figure which of 50+ (100+ ?) untried colors to put in it.

If the only interesting part of your letter is the ink color, . . . . . . . .

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I guess the variable is how much your recipient values presentation vs content, or in the case of ink and pens, where are their relative levels of Pen-y-ness vs Mail/Letter-y-ness. And then on the Letter side, how much interest in stationery vs erudition.

Off that chart would be "mail art" people where presentation is everything and the sentence or two that might be there is more typographical art. Or the Postcrossing people where I think the overwhelming point of interest is collecting sent-from locations, then maybe interesting cards, with what you write fairly irrelevant.

On the World Of Snail Mail forum I try to get a sense of how much, if at all, someone is into pens. If they don't care, I try not to do the sometimes annoying hobby thing (I see this with cameras and ham radio) of naming in detail the equipment used. Initially I'd assume minimal pen geekery. Someone from here, at least a modest level. My longest penpal from FPN started off "just into writing letters" but now updates me on latest pen news and I see more ink colors. Another convert <evil laugh>.

I don't think I've ever tried to use fancy stationery or interesting ink to make up for a boring letter, but I have put extra effort into it when a reply is really overdue. Plus maybe a photo tuck-in.

If it's a letter to a high level pen & paper geek and it's a fine nib, careless handwriting, with Quink Black on copy paper in a drugstore envelope then, yeah, wow, better write something fascinating, eh? Starting with, why _this_ particular black ink.

I guess the variable is how much your recipient values presentation vs content, or in the case of ink and pens, where are their relative levels of Pen-y-ness vs Mail/Letter-y-ness.

A letter in black ink and on copier paper, but written with a clear, even hand, and with thought given to the layout and white space, will present something far more attractive than an average letter that happens to have been written in thirty different colours.

In typography, colour is how dense the page looks: it's part of what makes a page elegant, balanced and harmonious. To me, and to many typesetters and calligraphers, this sense of colour is more important than considering which Diamine bottle to crack open.

Edited by brunico

Do You Feel Guilty Sending A Letter In Black Ink?

Hell No!

I would write home on the stuff they considered toilet paper

whilst on the communal latrine with a pencil.....It works.........

Fred

chow time...............................................................................................

I have a couple of blacks - Noodler's Black and a remaining test batch of Blackstone Black Cashmere, which to me - and I mixed it pretty wet, is more opaque than the Noodler's in all its bulletproof-ness. Right now I have about 10 pens inked. Not a single one currently inked with black, but that being said, if I did I wouldn't hesitate to write anything in black. Whether it be letter, journal entry, or just doodles and notes.

Right now I have pens inked with the following:

Blue Eel

Apache Sunset

Serenity Blue

4001 Blue Black

Shocking Blue

Daintree Green

Sydney Harbour Blue

Pomegranate

Classic Red

Iron Gall Turquoise

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

A letter in black ink and on copier paper, but written with a clear, even hand, and with thought given to the layout and white space, will present something far more attractive than an average letter that happens to have been written in thirty different colours.

In typography, colour is how dense the page looks: it's part of what makes a page elegant, balanced and harmonious. To me, and to many typesetters and calligraphers, this sense of colour is more important than considering which Diamine bottle to crack open.

+1

Black ink is my first choice for correspondence, with a dark blue or blue black as a second choice.

Black ink is my first choice for correspondence, with a dark blue or blue black as a second choice.

Do you use any other colors for your personal writing? Have any inks you're thinking of trying?

I have a couple of blacks - Noodler's Black and a remaining test batch of Blackstone Black Cashmere, which to me - and I mixed it pretty wet, is more opaque than the Noodler's in all its bulletproof-ness. Right now I have about 10 pens inked. Not a single one currently inked with black, but that being said, if I did I wouldn't hesitate to write anything in black. Whether it be letter, journal entry, or just doodles and notes.

Right now I have pens inked with the following:

Blue Eel

Apache Sunset

Serenity Blue

4001 Blue Black

Shocking Blue

Daintree Green

Sydney Harbour Blue

Pomegranate

Classic Red

Iron Gall Turquoise

Daintree Green... what??

It is the words written, the content that matters, not what it is written with or on.

There are snailmailers out there who do mailart. I'm not very arty myself but almost any letter, mailart or just from a penpal, cheers me up!

!

Since I love mail art, I can't agree that it's only the words that matter; but, since I'm better at writing than art, I hope those who send me mail art are open to enjoying a reply that's mostly text, though probably in more than one color of ink. It is good to find out in this thread than an awful lot of FPN-ers, despite being FP hobbyists, care _most_ about the words. I do insist making some of those words about what the ink is, though. Or inks. If I'm using half a dozen inks, describing more than one or two main ones starts to get cumbersome.

Based on this thread, I must write a letter with more than one black ink.

For personal letters I select the paper first. Then I identify the inks (I stick with blue, blue-black, and black) that look good on that paper. My mood probably affects my decision, but sometimes only one ink looks acceptable, or one ink looks so much better than the others the selection is easy. Then I choose the pen, usually one with an italic nib. When black ink looks best on the paper I don't hesitate to use it.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...

When I write to fountain pen friends, I tend to use different pens and colors. Unfortunately I'm not the most exciting letter writer out there, but my pen pals have put up with me so far. When writing to family or other friends, I tend to stick with one pen and color, they are not as likely to get as excited as me over color and pen/nib variations. Color is not as important as content in this case. I do like to changd up colors often though.

I use black ink only for calligraphy or official documents.

Letters, or notes, I stick to a variety of blue or blue/green shades, with an occasional purple or brown. It mostly depends on what paper I'm writing on.

Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software License Agreement.

In the end, you ignore everything and click "I Agree".

flying-letter-exc.png

Guilt about ink color? Never.

I'm just not all that interested in black inks.....well, until recently. I now have Quink, Levenger, Waterman, MB, and Chesterfield black inks. So when I get in that mood, I'm covered.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Black ink on white paper is beautiful, crisp, and classic. It is suitable for all occasions from a child's birthday party announcement to condolence notes. I think it has its thrilling components and feel that things written in black have a weight and attraction that no other color can match.

Mind you, I am a color fool. I adore it and collect far too many colorful/tricky inks. But black is a standard. I would be undone not to have a beautiful big bottle of Noodler's Black in my rotation at all times.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg