Hopefully, We Can Buy Both Lambrou Books For $119 ...

Dickkooty2

Now has five requests.

Thanks for these updates Dick. I'm going to visit the site tonight, register, and make it 6 unless by the time I do it it'll be 7.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dickkooty2

• Maurizio

• shawndp

• catbert

Thanks for these updates Dick. I'm going to visit the site tonight, register, and make it 6 unless by the time I do it it'll be 7.

Now up to nine!

I signed up late and did it just now, it's now up to 10.

What's the magic number or don't we know that yet?

I've never done one of these before. Assuming it goes forward, what happens next? I get an email saying "time to plunk your money down"? and I pay with a credit card?

Edited by Maurizio

I signed up late and did it just now, it's now up to 10.

What's the magic number or don't we know that yet?

I've never done one of these before. Assuming it goes forward, what happens next? I get an email saying "time to plunk your money down"? and I pay with a credit card?

Ya, you betcha! But buy at the lowest price i.e. the price with the most subscribers needed.

Twelve may be the magic number.

It is pretty painless!

Now eleven.

Well I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed. I really wanted the book on Japan and was close to buying it anyway. To get both books for the price of one is really a deal. Hopefully the interest will continue to build. Besides this forum here is there any other way I could build up interest in this mass drop?

Well I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed. I really wanted the book on Japan and was close to buying it anyway. To get both books for the price of one is really a deal. Hopefully the interest will continue to build. Besides this forum here is there any other way I could build up interest in this mass drop?

Yo, Mauritzio,

You might try writing a note to the Massdrop blog person telling her how excited you are and that you hope it works out. And that when and if it does, you ll tell the FPN blog about it,

Good idea I'll try that Dick.

• 3 weeks later...

Alas, this story does not have a happy ending for me.

Through some failure in the Massdrop ordering system, my order of 27 Jul ywas not recorded. I had gotten notifications that others had ordered and the number was ensured.

I did not realize this until two days ago when I had a message that the orders were being shipped. My order was not among them.

I appealed but to no avail,

I have cancelled my account.

I'll probably just buy the European book, which is a better fit for my own collecting of Pelikan, FEND, Markant, and a few other German writing inplements and ephemera.

That is quite a tragic turn of events... Sorry to hear that... Hopefully you come across one at a reasonable price.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like the mass drop is more agida than any discount is worth at least for these books.

Alas, this story does not have a happy ending for me.

Through some failure in the Massdrop ordering system, my order of 27 Jul ywas not recorded. I had gotten notifications that others had ordered and the number was ensured.

I did not realize this until two days ago when I had a message that the orders were being shipped. My order was not among them.

I appealed but to no avail,

I have cancelled my account.

I'll probably just buy the European book, which is a better fit for my own collecting of Pelikan, FEND, Markant, and a few other German writing inplements and ephemera.

If you're interested in European makers, Lambrou's earlier book, 'Fountain Pens of the World' is the one to get. I've seen it for under $100 plus shipping. The Massdrop books covered Japan, US and UK only.

Thanks, Maurizio and catbert for your kind thoughts.

I have just bought a signed copy of Fountain Pens of the World. This is the book that is closer to my interests.

I have the big book just out on Pelikan advertising and merchandising, and the anniversary catalogue of the exhibition curated in conjunction with Pelikan.

The Pelikan Hub will be September 16th world-wide. 45 attendees are expected in Portland, OR. ... a very large turnout with more people signed up then many larger cities.

Thanks again for your concern. I am very disappointed in Massdrop.

Thanks, Maurizio and catbert for your kind thoughts.

I have just bought a signed copy of Fountain Pens of the World. This is the book that is closer to my interests.

I have the big book just out on Pelikan advertising and merchandising, and the anniversary catalogue of the exhibition curated in conjunction with Pelikan.

The Pelikan Hub will be September 16th world-wide. 45 attendees are expected in Portland, OR. ... a very large turnout with more people signed up then many larger cities.

Thanks again for your concern. I am very disappointed in Massdrop.

For what it's worth, I bought the two Lambrou books from Massdrop last year, and a couple of pens before that. No problem with the pen transactions - in fact, both pens (Lamy 2000, Stipula Passaporto) are inked right now. The book shipment was a disappointment: poor packaging, damaged books, initially unhelpful customer service. They made it right eventually.

I wonder if/when Lambrou will complete his proposed trilogy with a dedicated volume on European pens. According to the cover flap of 'Fountain Pens - United States of America and United Kingdom' (published 2000), a book on European pens was supposed to come out in 2002, followed by one on Japanese and Chinese pens in 2003. Instead we got 'Fountain Pens of Japan' in 2012. At this rate it might be a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Guys ...

A quick note to tell you my copy of Fountain Pens of the World arrived yesterday. It is a beautifully designed and printed book in its' own right, regardless of topic.

This book is the third edition dated 2014 and signed by the author. I am very pleased, as are many owner/readers here on FPN, with the meticulously researched histories, the quality of the photography, and the overall enveloping feel of a book that comes from a man dedicated to fountain pens.

I purchased the book on Aug 28 and it was delivered on Sep 7. Shipping was $3.99, book was $85.00.

I am very pleased with the feel and contents of this book as well as the sense that this was the first encyclopedic volume on fountain pens. This book is such that i will probably pass on the others and search out the big book of Pelikan models with German and English text.