M800 Nib Mystery

Calabria

Hi –

I have a bit of a crush on M800 nibs.

That said, I came across a riddle that hasn't been addressed before (I think). On a recent trip to Rome, I was lucky enough to find a red M800 at Stilo Fetti (no connection), and Massimo was also nice enough to take a vintage M800 EF nib from a blue model and fit it into the red one. I was so excited my hands were almost shaking (ok, I also had to run to the store before it closed).

I had my magnifier along and the nib is perfect in every sense of the vintage word. It even carries the appropriate "E/N" (looks like "P/N") customs stamp observed elsewhere (picture below - it didn't turn out well and I can post it again later, but you can find better images in Joshua's article on the topic on his website anyway).

But there is also a little impression on the other (left) side of the nib (see picture below). I thought at first that this was an imperfection – somebody used a removal tool or so – but then I saw that in the accompanying brochure (also vintage – before the new cap logo design), the M805 was also depicted with that little impression on the left side of the nib (see picture). This reminded me of a F nib I got on a flea market in France which looks more like a "ding," except it is at the very same spot (and the nib is otherwise perfect – the picture makes it look more like a "ding" because of the shadow, but under the magnifier it is more of an impression).

Have any of you observed similar impressions on your M800 vintage nibs, and do you have any explanation for it?

– Derek

fpn_1469628433__img_3690.jpg

fpn_1469628407__img_3691.jpg

fpn_1469628388__img_3693.jpg

fpn_1469628356__img_3692.jpg

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• martini

• PaganArcher

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, your "ding" is a custom mark. Some of these really looks like a hallmark, some of them are only printed half and looks imperfect. Some people prefer pf or en imprinted nibs, and also those with custom marks. Don' t ask me why, but you did well to get one!

The nib is unlike my other Pelikan pens!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Hi, your "ding" is a custom mark. Some of these really looks like a hallmark, some of them are only printed half and looks imperfect. Some people prefer pf or en imprinted nibs, and also those with custom marks. Don' t ask me why, but you did well to get one!

Thanks for the info!

– Lin Yu-T'ang