Other Passions/obsessions?

Papamud

Hi folks!

It hit me the other day that my poor wife has had to put up with my ever-growing passions for un-connected, but fascinating (to me and a small, and very weird, sub-set of society) objects.

I've finally grown to understand that I love things that are both useful and beautiful. I love the everyday tools that we use to get through a day to be beautiful and functional. I hate that we've become obsessed (as a society) with how cheap and ubiquitous the tools we use have become. Utility is only one part of a "thing."

In Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance the author realizes that Quality isn't in the Thing, and it isn't in the person using the Thing. Quality is in the relationship between the Thing and The User. I mean, how better to describe how we feel about fountain pens?

Sitting on a shelf, my Nemosine looks like a fancy pen. It's only when I pick it up and write with it that it comes alive for me.

So, I started thinking about the other things I obsess about and thought I'd start a thread here on that very subject. What are you interested in outside of pens and ink?

So, here's a pic of one of my favourite pairings of the tools I use every day to get through the day. I call this pic, The Seikosine Pairing.

My Nemosine Neutrino and Seiko SARB 017. Seiko 6R15 caliber self-winding movement that can also be hand wound and is ultra-reliable and tough. It will never need a battery, because it winds itself every time I move my wrist.

That Seiko watch is beautiful! Is it available at any retailer or on line? I had an inexpensive Seiko years ago, but my acidic sweat destroyed the back screw threads. Later, now almost 20 years, I bought a better one, solid titanium, and it has held up very well. But it is not "dressy," and I am always on the lookout for one to wear on occasion for its special looks.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papamud

• tinta

• Calabria

• zwack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just ordered one from THE WALKER CENTER SHOP in Minneapolis; $4.95 shipping seemed reasonable to me.

I've been looking for a good journal and am looking forward to checking this out. I love supporting small businesses also.

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

That Seiko watch is beautiful! Is it available at any retailer or on line? I had an inexpensive Seiko years ago, but my acidic sweat destroyed the back screw threads. Later, now almost 20 years, I bought a better one, solid titanium, and it has held up very well. But it is not "dressy," and I am always on the lookout for one to wear on occasion for its special looks.

I love this watch! I got it for my 50th Birthday. My wife got it at rakuten.com. I've also seen them on Amazon. Good luck!

D. Morreale

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Books. Paper and fabric to a slightly lesser degree - I might restrain myself from buying more of those two, but I never hesitate to buy a book that I want. I also have a keen interest in postage stamps, but to use, not to collect. I need them anyway, so why not get cute or interesting ones?

I do not collect anything specifically, as I see it, although I seem to gather stuff in related groupings. I have a wide range of quite interesting tools, including instruments. Among the latter, it seems from counting that I especially like to measure heat energy be it in air, on a surface, in a thing or substance, via images, in high precision and in a range up to about 1100 °C. Thermal imaging is particularly interesting. Its uses would lead to too long a post.

Regarding tools, there was nothing extra I needed for working on pens except a tool to open a Montblanc 149 so I can lubricate the piston. I have some small bar stock so will make one on the mill, real soon now.

X

Watches until someone stole them... :(

I used to use a Gillette but now use a Schick Injector. :D

Skills (I always have time to learn how to do something new)

Flashlights (2 4Sevens Quarks, one AA, one 2AA. One Inova X1. One Atlas C57. One Inova UV Microlight. One Slughaus Bullet. One Nebo Slyde. I usually have three to five with me at any time. I really want a McGizmo Haiku though)

I love this conversation. What a bunch of amazingly interesting people!

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

It's not so much that I collect books as that it seems natural for them to accumulate over the years. The influence of my parents. It took me a while as a kid to realize that all houses didn't necessarily have walls lined with bookcases.

I have a bit of a collection of old safety razors, single edged, double edged, and injectors. The oldest that I shave with regularly is a Gem Junior Bar from 1907. Also a small assortment of shaving mugs, nothing very old, but including seven Old Spice mugs of various sorts and some interesting scuttles.

Rather late in life I'm trying to learn something about cooking. Every now and then I come across something that calls for a new kitchen utensil or gadget, and my spice cabinet is now rather formidable.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Oh, and since it is almost a thing in this conversation, I don't shave at all, have not for decades. I trimmed it with scissors when I was younger, Wahl clippers now.

I do have a couple of old cutthroat razors though, somewhere.

X

I have a small selection of folding knives from which I will select my daily carry piece. People nowadays aptly call this kind of a thing an EDC (Every Day Carry).

I enjoy having a small trove of all different knives at my disposal. I do like semi-vintage traditional American patterns, but also modern American knives like Spyderco, or my one Balisong/Butterfly, and I also, sometimes, don't mind Chinese made knives (and I also have one Victorinox because that's such a staple)

In the knives I buy I enjoy a combination of great craftsmanship (often times done by hand and often even at a low price point), quality that stands the test of time (maybe even after many decades), well thought out, functional design, and engaging, interesting mechanical features.

All the knives I carry will be highly practical and do multiply my technical abilities in my day-to-day life.

(For some people their EDC contains an array of different things; dodas, and flashlights, and tools and lighters, and firearms, and hand-pleasers, and first aid stuff, and more backup items and a pack to put it all in. But not for me: Dodads hold no candle to a functional, good quality knife IMO)

Edit: But durr! of course my EDC also has pens in it (goes without saying) every day in my pocket is a TWSBI Vac 700, a UNI gel pen, and (new) a Pentel brush pen just for fun

Edited by mike.jane

I collect comic book original art, watches and Roman coins. Here is an example of one of my coins (and yes it is almost 2000 years old). It is a silver denarius of the emperor Nero.post-71457-0-40618200-1469764651_thumb.jpg

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

All of my passions have a common thread, that is they blend art and machine. This has been expressed photography, flyfishing and fountain pens.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Old BSA motorbikes and cars. The pens are a back stop for when I'm too weak to kick start the bikes or handle a car without power steering!

Passions: Zwack. My children. Dogs. Photography. 2 & 3-D art--drawing, painting, jewelry-making, driftwood and seashell art, etc. Gardening.

Collections: Dogs :D ;) :P. Fountain pens (of course :)). Animal figurines, especially dogs, foxes, whales, and seals/sea lions. Art supplies (specific to the art that I do/make, of course). Reference/Identification books about local birds, plants, animals, and sea life. Probably some other stuff, too, but I'm too tired to think of it atm....

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Victorian wine glasses, especially for port.

Spode table ware, especially Ribbons and Roses pattern

Early editions of Jane Austen, PG Wodehouse, Richmal Crompton

Still have thousands of telephone cards, a nine day collecting wonder from the 1980s, early 90s

Had a strong english coin collection but when they were gathering more dust than interest it was time to go to auction.

Some watches, a Lange, Patek Phillippe, Rolex Daytona but just as happy with an old Seiko, watches are not a passion.

Edited by Kenlowe

I have a small selection of folding knives from which I will select my daily carry piece. People nowadays aptly call this kind of a thing an EDC (Every Day Carry).

I enjoy having a small trove of all different knives at my disposal. I do like semi-vintage traditional American patterns, but also modern American knives like Spyderco, or my one Balisong/Butterfly, and I also, sometimes, don't mind Chinese made knives (and I also have one Victorinox because that's such a staple)

In the knives I buy I enjoy a combination of great craftsmanship (often times done by hand and often even at a low price point), quality that stands the test of time (maybe even after many decades), well thought out, functional design, and engaging, interesting mechanical features.

All the knives I carry will be highly practical and do multiply my technical abilities in my day-to-day life.

(For some people their EDC contains an array of different things; dodas, and flashlights, and tools and lighters, and firearms, and hand-pleasers, and first aid stuff, and more backup items and a pack to put it all in. But not for me: Dodads hold no candle to a functional, good quality knife IMO)

Edit: But durr! of course my EDC also has pens in it (goes without saying) every day in my pocket is a TWSBI Vac 700, a UNI gel pen, and (new) a Pentel brush pen just for fun

PICS!! Especially pics of a knice knife!

D. Morreale

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

I'm laughing at this thread because sooo many of the things I'm into are here. I suppose it makes sense, though. Fountain pens attract a sort of mindset, the one which will also be into wristwatches, classic shaving, pocket knives, etc.

When I'm not sitting still, I'm into cycling. If I'm not tinkering on one of my bikes, I'm riding, racing, training or touring.

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS