Other Passions/obsessions?

Papamud

Another vote for the pen/ink/watch combo.... but in addition DE wet shaving. Since June 1st I have picked up two vintage Gillette double edge razors. A 1967 (M1) Black Handle Super Speed and a 1958 (D1) Flare Tip Super Speed. I had been using a modern double edge razor for over two years.

Watches - roughly 25 or so. Watches from Invicta, Seiko, Citizen, Stuhrling Original, Rotary, Hamilton and more. Mechanical, Automatic and quartz movements. (my total includes 3 pocket watches including one (a Waltham Model 1894) that dates to 1908. It belonged to my maternal grandfather. The Hamilton (a Thin o Matic) belonged to my paternal grandfather, and he got it as a service award from his employer.)

Ha! It's funny we all have similar interests! I use a Gillette DE. I believe it's a super speed as well. The adjustable kind. Those Gilette 7 o'clocks are easy on the budget!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papamud

• tinta

• Calabria

• zwack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a classic styled, American, bench-made, Peerless fly reel used in fly fishing.

Here's another:

attachicon.gifval.#76-2-1.jpg

Gotta show these reels to my partner! He's a fly-fisherman too. :thumbup:

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I collect leather bookmarks and walking stick badges. I got into this hobby during a fifteen day family vacation taken in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales in 1999. I also collect books, having a library of over 600 volumes at this time.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I collect Schnauzers...

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p799/sandygriff/IMG_5597_zpszx0e7d5o.jpg

In addition to pens and ink, I collect (and have a passion for):

Stamps

Woodcase pencils

Field Notes pocket notebooks

Vinyl Record Albums (60's music)

post-36725-0-99872700-1469737440.jpeg

post-36725-0-77508600-1469737947_thumb.jpeg

post-36725-0-64866300-1469737961_thumb.jpeg

post-36725-0-78665200-1469738204.jpeg

Pipes. Golf clubs. Pocket knives. Straight razors.

I have an old straight razor I'll never use. Let me know your address and I'll get it to you!

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

In addition to pens and ink, I collect (and have a passion for):

Stamps

Woodcase pencils

Field Notes pocket notebooks

Vinyl Record Albums (60's music)

Those Field Notes notebooks look cool. I'm gearing for finding the best notebook to accompany my fountain pens obsession, I'll check those out.

D. Morreale

www.throttleandtorque.com

"The storm front towered above them and the wind was cool on their sweating faces. They slumped bleary-eyed in their saddles and looked at one another. Shrouded in the black thunderheads the distant lightning glowed mutely like welding seen through foundry smoke. As if repairs were under way at some flawed place in the iron dark of the world.”

- Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Hey David! Hope your Summer is going well.

Re: Field Notes notebooks...they are not very fountain pen friendly. I usually use a pencil with them. Best inexpensive pocket notebooks I've found for fountain pens are the notebooks sold by Nock & Co. Clairfontaine and Rhodia are also good but more expensive. I also really like the Black 'n' Red notebooks. Good luck in your quest.

- Audiophile stuff

- Bass guitar gear (I've been set for a long while now though)

- gaming

- Craft beers / whisky

- High quality tea / coffee

Fun.

I have a few rulers, oddly.

And I like single estate tea and single malt scotch.

Yarn? Why not.

I really think those fly fishing gizmos are beautiful!

There's this guy who does pen reviews, btw, "Michel de Montreal," who seems more interested in tea than in pens:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vjchSx8aOmY

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Large format cameras (ok, cameras in general)- I'm using an 8x10 inch camera in my avatar. In North Dakota even!

Typewriters (one of my favorites-not sure why): http://typewriterdatabase.com/1921-lc-smith-8.5777.typewriter

Miss my 4x5 cameras. Had a Toyo 45AII and Swiss F-Metric. Sold them a few years ago. Today I just tossed out several boxes of Kodak 320 TXP that I found in a box in my garage. The fond memories!

Those Field Notes notebooks look cool. I'm gearing for finding the best notebook to accompany my fountain pens obsession, I'll check those out.

If you're really picky, try the Scottish Alwych "all weather" brand. They ship from Scotland. I think it's a small bindery that's been making these books for decades, and the paper is perfect for pens - smooth, opaque, natural white (no bleeding, see-through etc., but also not as glassy hard as Clairefontaine or Rhodia).

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Vintage cameras and lenses, which I restore and use regularly, sometimes sell. My focus is TLR cameras and rangefinders, but I do not pass on other types of cameras and lenses. I've acquired many rare models. This also ties well into my hobby photography. Having a modern mirrorless camera (Sony A7RII and older NEX models) allows me to use all the vintage lenses with just an addition of an adapter.

For a period of time, I acquired and collected many battle-ready replica swords and daggers and a few antique examples as well. That time has passed, and while my collection is not nearly as large as it used to, they still fill up the walls of a single room :)

Audiophile headphones, Amps, and DACs, as well as a vast collection of digital and analog music which I enjoy often. Tied to this, I happen to like assembling, designing and working with electronics.

PC gaming and related hardware and gadget acquisition disease...

Edited by kapanak

Nikon lenses, I have a 55-300 mm zoom, a 18-55 mm, and a 150- 600 tamron for Nikon, I am thinkin in a 24mm and a 105mm micro nikon used from keh.

I have an old straight razor I'll never use. Let me know your address and I'll get it to you!

What a wonderful gesture! PM sent...

If you're really picky, try the Scottish Alwych "all weather" brand. They ship from Scotland. I think it's a small bindery that's been making these books for decades, and the paper is perfect for pens - smooth, opaque, natural white (no bleeding, see-through etc., but also not as glassy hard as Clairefontaine or Rhodia).

I just ordered one from THE WALKER CENTER SHOP in Minneapolis; $4.95 shipping seemed reasonable to me.