The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Custom Heritage 91 Disassembly- Same As Custom 74?

pilot custom heritage 91 custom 74 disassembly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KLscribbler

KLscribbler

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2016 - 14:11

Hi all,

Having recently begun to use a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 as one of my daily writers, I started to wonder how to go about completely disassembling the pen for cleaning.

I have found several disassembly videos for the Custom 74, such as the one by SBREBrown (here), but no comparable videos for the Custom Heritage 91. Since the differences between the Custom 74 and Custom Heritage 91 seem mainly to be cosmetic (flat top and differently-shaped clip, but same nib, feed, and similar-looking section), I was wondering if the Custom Heritage 91 would disassemble in the exact same way that the Custom 74 does.

Has anyone owned or fiddled with both these pens and know the answer?

Sponsored Content

#2 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2016 - 14:16

yes

#3 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 21:28

If you've only recently begun using it as a daily writer, I'd advise against complete disassembly for cleaning.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#4 KLscribbler

KLscribbler

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:45

yes

Thank you!

If you've only recently begun using it as a daily writer, I'd advise against complete disassembly for cleaning.

I know, this is more of a "asking now for future reference" thing. I don't anticipate actually having to disassemble anything in the short run. It's just reassuring to know that I'll be able to strip down the pen for cleaning if/when it's ever needed.

#5 JunkyardSam

JunkyardSam

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2016 - 19:16

By disassembly do you mean removal of the nib & feed? It's a simple friction fit feed. It pulls right out, not terribly different from a Metropolitan.

However - I was warned to avoid TWISTING when removing the nib and feed. Apparently there an internal piece that has a chance of twisting out which you don't want... So grip gently but firmly, taking care not to bend the nib or feed's slits -- and pull straight out.

I have 3 Pilot Custom 91s and all of them arrived writing a bit too dry. I removed the nib and feed in each for some gentle flossing and very very very subtle widening of the tines. It took 2-5 minutes for each --- and after they are just incredible pens.

I have a Black EF and it's a lovely, very fine writer. It's not QUITE as fine as my Falcon SEF but that may be a result of the work I did on the nib. Consequently though, it's a slightly wet writer which makes the EF nib feel even more smooth.

Then I have Yamabudo and Tsukiyo Custom Heritage 91s and they are beautiful colors for pens...

One of my favorite things about many of Pilot's pens is just how easy it is to remove the friction fit feed. (NOT the Falcon though, unfortunately, though my two Falcons didn't need any kind of adjustment.)

If you're using traditional inks and your nib is fine there's probably no reason to remove it, though. But like you say - it's NICE knowing you CAN if ever needed.

Edited by JunkyardSam, 27 July 2016 - 19:19.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, custom heritage 91, custom 74, disassembly

Sponsored Content

|