Alternatives To The Pelikan 300 Series?

Slider20

Hi All,

Pretty new to fountain pens, but I'm starting to get a handle on what I like. I'm looking for a good small FP for daily pocket carry, currently I have a TWSBI Diamond mini in my pocket. I'm happy with it, but I am looking for some alternatives, the Pelikan M300 series looks great, as does the Montblanc Motzart, but I want to find out what else is out there.

Some value options? <$100

Also looking for some mid range and high end FP that would fill this role.

Thanks

Edited by Slider20

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slider20

• ac12

• inotrym

• ThomasB

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the Kaweco Sport

Nice Option, looks interesting, the Lilliput looks cool too from Kaweco, although it might be a bit too small and slow to get into action

Another option might be the smaller Sailor 1911s

I like it, wish it was just a bit smaller, might pick that one up, just saw the Dimensions of the Sailor Pro Gear Slim, pretty much the same as the 1911 Mid size.

Edited by Slider20

If you are fairly new to fountain pens have you experimented with different nib sizes and types? Have you purchased some decent paper? I ask these annoying questions because you might be better served by trying an array of less expensive pens before jumping into higher-end models.

Or, you might be the lucky one and know exactly what you want, I don't know. Pelikans are wonderful pens and I have ended up with several more than I expected. ;)

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Parker 45? Not a piston filler, but the steel flighter makes it ideal for pocket carry and the modern Parker convertors fit it too.. Also the Diplomat Traveller - Diplomat's nibs are very nice and the pens are well put together.

If you are fairly new to fountain pens have you experimented with different nib sizes and types? Have you purchased some decent paper? I ask these annoying questions because you might be better served by trying an array of less expensive pens before jumping into higher-end models.

Or, you might be the lucky one and know exactly what you want, I don't know. Pelikans are wonderful pens and I have ended up with several more than I expected. ;)

I'm a pretty quick learner I guess, am using Rhodia or Moleskin, been using them for a while with regular pens, picked up a nice selection of Ink, Iroshizuku, Herbin, Diamene etc.., also some full sized high end end pens, Montblanc 149, Visconti Homosapiens, Delta Dolce Vita, Pelican M800.

I like Fine nibs, I'm pretty set in the desk pen front, but I like to carry a small pen, I know this may sound a bit nutty, considering I purchased my first FP a little over 2 weeks ago, but I'm generally pretty decisive and have spent allot time on this forum, YouTube and browsing at a local shop.

If you can find one the Bexley Jitterbug is a nice small pen. Pilot Custom 98 also. Not sure of the price on the 98. I bought mine pre0owned. The Jitterbug is 4" capped. The 98 is 4-3/4" capped. Jitter bug is cartridge only but takes International Shorts. Pilot is cartridge or converter but both are proprietary.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

A budget option is the Monteverde Poquito, it is very small. I have one and like it (I also have a Pelikan 300, Mozart, and Liliput - I like small pens...).

The Aurora Optima mini is an awesome little pen, but pretty expensive. (piston filler!!)

*you can also look into the standard Optima; it´s not all that big either.

Caran d Ache Ecridor xs (also somewhat expensive)

Sailor used to make mini versions of the Pro Gear and the Pro Gear slim, not sure if you can find them anymore.

Sailor Chalana? (very slim, tiny nib)

JPLepine Indigo looks cool (nibs might be a little troublesome)

Monteverde Jewelria mini (discontinued, but you can still find a few around)

Parker/Rotring Esprit (same as above)

Delta Vintage? (same as above)

Stipula Bon Voyage or Passaporto

Pilot Prera (relatively inexpensive and nice bright colors)

Sailor Lecoule and Procolor (Sailor´s answer to the Prera)

Pelikan M200/M205 (I am sure you have heard of those, if you are aware of the M300)

Pilot E95s (mini pen becomes standard sized with posting)

Franklin Christoph offers a few pocket pens that make nice eyedroppers.

Ohto Rook and Tasche (inexpensive pocket pens)

The one that I love and recommend with all my heart is the Pilot Stargazer (aka Stella 90s). Perfect balance between pocket pen and decent size, awesome nib, very good price for what you get (make sure to order from Japan)

Give the Edison Beaumont a look. Quite small and light but able to be posted to make it a bit larger if you prefer.

under $100:

Faber Castell ambition

Pilot Vanishing Point

a little over $100

Lamy 2000

Faber Castell e-motion

I like Fine nibs, ... but I like to carry a small pen, ....

By small, do you mean length or diameter?

The M300 is small in both dimensions. I consider it a short slimline.

And by pocket pen, do you mean shirt or pant pocket?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If you can find one the Bexley Jitterbug is a nice small pen. Pilot Custom 98 also. Not sure of the price on the 98. I bought mine pre0owned. The Jitterbug is 4" capped. The 98 is 4-3/4" capped. Jitter bug is cartridge only but takes International Shorts. Pilot is cartridge or converter but both are proprietary.

I like that Bexley, Thanks

A budget option is the Monteverde Poquito, it is very small. I have one and like it (I also have a Pelikan 300, Mozart, and Liliput - I like small pens...).

Very Interesting, I have not heard such good things about Monteverde as a brand, I am tempted

The Aurora Optima mini is an awesome little pen, but pretty expensive. (piston filler!!)

*you can also look into the standard Optima; it´s not all that big either.

Caran d Ache Ecridor xs (also somewhat expensive)

Sailor used to make mini versions of the Pro Gear and the Pro Gear slim, not sure if you can find them anymore.

Sailor Chalana? (very slim, tiny nib)

JPLepine Indigo looks cool (nibs might be a little troublesome)

Monteverde Jewelria mini (discontinued, but you can still find a few around)

Parker/Rotring Esprit (same as above)

Delta Vintage? (same as above)

Stipula Bon Voyage or Passaporto

Pilot Prera (relatively inexpensive and nice bright colors)

Sailor Lecoule and Procolor (Sailor´s answer to the Prera)

Pelikan M200/M205 (I am sure you have heard of those, if you are aware of the M300)

Pilot E95s (mini pen becomes standard sized with posting)

Franklin Christoph offers a few pocket pens that make nice eyedroppers.

Ohto Rook and Tasche (inexpensive pocket pens)

The one that I love and recommend with all my heart is the Pilot Stargazer (aka Stella 90s). Perfect balance between pocket pen and decent size, awesome nib, very good price for what you get (make sure to order from Japan)

Wow, Thanks for the help, that will keep me busy

Give the Edison Beaumont a look. Quite small and light but able to be posted to make it a bit larger if you prefer.

Very Nice option, thanks

By small, do you mean length or diameter?

The M300 is small in both dimensions. I consider it a short slimline.

And by pocket pen, do you mean shirt or pant pocket?

Both Dimensions preferable, just a very small pen, just like the M300, although I would look at other options. Pants pocket

Pelikan M150 could be the pen you are looking for.

Might be the right move, price considered. thanks

Edited by Slider20

How about a Kaweco Liliput?

If you don't mind a metal pen & cartridge-only ink filling, its section could be similar to a Pelikan 300. The Liliput has screw-in 060 nib units by Bock in stainless & 14K.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Both Dimensions preferable, just a very small pen, just like the M300, although I would look at other options. Pants pocket

That is exactly why I got an Ohto Tasche.

It is a slim (about 10mm diameter) and short (98mm/just a bit longer than 3-3/4 inch when closed) pen.

It is good for a pant pocket because the cap overlaps the barrel by a significant amount, thus you don't have the weak point of a plastic section to break.

The one thing you need to watch for, is that you don't accidentally pull out the pen with your other stuff, and loose it. I've lost 3 Tasches so far, probably because it came out when I pulled out my wallet, and I did not notice it falling to the ground.

www.SFPenShow.com

How about a Kaweco Liliput?

If you don't mind a metal pen & cartridge-only ink filling, its section could be similar to a Pelikan 300. The Liliput has screw-in 060 nib units by Bock in stainless & 14K.

I really like the Liliput, I should put that on my short list

Another vote for the Pilot E95s - nice writer and nice looking. Vintage? How about an Esterbrook SJ?

Vintage? How about an Esterbrook SJ?

NOT in a pant pocket.

www.SFPenShow.com