Issue With Ink, Paper Or I Think Pen

LorDAsBaat

Hi, the problem is that as u can see in the images, at the start of writing, the pen is really good, you can feel the nib of the pen against the rough paper, this creates a dark writing and a good line variation. But as I come lower in the paper, the ink starts to "shrink" and become light. The nib feels slippery like oil is spilled over the paper. If I write at the top of the paper again, the pen writes normally but not at the bottom, I have tried this with two writing registers. Is there any problem with the ink or the paper? Can anyone diagnose?

The link to the images is here: http://m.imgur.com/a/ca6hh

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corgicoupe

• LorDAsBaat

• tinta

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Try placing a piece of clear plastic under your writing hand. It may be oils from your hand causing the problem.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Try placing a piece of clear plastic under your writing hand. It may be oils from your hand causing the problem.

Omg, this thought just struck my mind after I wrote the post. Thanks Mr. Fox. i'll try it in a second

I use a regular piece of letter size copy paper under my hand, cut or folded in half, after that started happening on my precious Clairefontaine notebooks. Precious also because it was such a pain in the neck getting a hold of them!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

From what I can see, you are not losing line, thus not an indication nib starvation, but yes your ink has lightened a bit lower down bottom of the page.

It also shows more shading in your second picture. It may be that your feed was super saturated at the beginning, then as you started using up the ink in the feed, the volume of ink that went onto the paper became less,...so it's lighter.

The JoWo series of nibs tend to behave this way for me.

The amount of ink stored in the nooks & crannies of the feed within the section is significant. Even if no ink show inside the exposed combs of the feed, there is still lots of ink inside the feed. My JoWo nibs write beautifully, but are dark at first then eventually lightening as I go down the page. By contrast, my Sailor pens seem to deliver a more constant flow ink, thus more uniform colour.

The angle at which you hold your pen at the top of the page changes as you move down the page. This can give a little different feel to the nib when you write & a different result on the paper. Because a different part of the tipping is contacting the paper, the line will show differently too.

As for the ink skipping because it's sensitive to your hand oils,... as said, a sheet of paper can mask your hand as you write. I try to get a paper of a different colour, so that I can clearly identify its edge up against the writing paper.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I'm using a sheet of plastic made to protect the screen of an iPad. Got it at my dollar store.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Omg, this thought just struck my mind after I wrote the post. Thanks Mr. Fox. i'll try it in a second

I guess he does look a bit foxy, but he was a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. A fluffy one at that.

I have used a transparency sheet, like that previously used for overhead projectors.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Supporting the diagnosis of hand oils, notice that on the left side of the paper, near the wires, there's no problem with the ink flow--presumably because you don't rest your hand that far to the left. If you're like most people (and right-handed) you hold the pen at a bit of an angle, such that your hand is not directly below where you write, but just to the right. It's only towards the middle of the sheet, where your hand rests, that you get the ink-flow interference.