The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Violet Blue - Graf Von Faber-Castell

graf von faber-castell

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2016 - 19:02

Graf von Faber-Castell was founded in 1761 and developed into the major manufacturer of wood-cased pencils. With time they started to offer much broader range of products. Few years ago company’s introduced six inks. Recently they’ve added three new colors to the line

1. Carbon Black
  2. Cobalt Blue
  3. Deep Sea Green
  4. Garnet Red
  5. Hazelnut Brown
  6. Midnight Blue
  7. Moss Green
  8. Royal Blue
  9. Stone Grey

Violet Blue is the newest addition to Graf von Faber-Castell line of inks. I was disappointed by last three inks (Deep Sea Green, Royal Blue, Midnight Blue) and always thought that they lack solid violet/purple in the line. Once I saw pictures of new Violet Blue on La Couronne du Comte websiite I was interested to try it, however after reading reviews of the ink I’ve decided to buy cartridges, not a bottle to try it and see how bad it really is.

Well, I thought I would hate this ink but it’s not the case. It’s subdued and subtle. In really wet nibs or broader ones it can have some charm, especially for people who enjoys all kind of shades of Lavender leaning weak Violet. I don’t so I qwon’t use this ink after posting this review. What I can say to help you make chouice if it’s worth the money? Well, the flow is decent but not very good, it offers some shading but because the ink isn’t saturated it won’t be prominent / exciting in drier pens. In theory it’s water resistant but In my opinion the faint greyish trace left after soaking the paper isn’t perfectly ligible.

In other words – I’m again disappointed by new GvFC ink offering. It’s sad because when they’ve entered the market with first six colors I was in awe. I liked them all (except Garnet Red for everything and black – for color). The last four addtions are average at best. I hope they’ll offer something as good as Moss Green again (we can discuss the color but this ink behaves perfectly well on all pens, in my experience).

Be sure to check Lapis review of this ink. He's done great job presenting and describing it, probably in much more objective way than I have done it :)

violetblue_is.jpg?w=696

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

violetblue_rk.jpg?w=696

Software ID

violetblue_l_3.jpg?w=696

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

violetblue_t_1.jpg?w=696

violetblue_t_2.jpg?w=696

violetblue_t_3.jpg?w=696

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

violetblue_l_1.jpg?w=696

violetblue_l_2.jpg?w=696

violetblue_l_4.jpg?w=696

Oxford, Hero 5028, stub 1,9

violetblue_ox_1.jpg?w=696

violetblue_ox_2.jpg?w=696

No-name copy-paper  – Faber-Castell Ondoro, M

violetblue_p_1.jpg?w=696

violetblue_p_2.jpg?w=696

violetblue_p_3.jpg?w=696

Water resistance

violetblue_h2o.jpg?w=696

Edited by visvamitra, 22 July 2016 - 19:04.

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,623 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2016 - 19:30

Pretty ink, but seems very light.  Reminds me a lot of De Atramentis Jeanne d'Arc (which was also a bit too light to be really legible.  I think I can pass on this one.

Thanks for the review all the same.  Seeing inks I *don't* want is better for my budget....  :rolleyes: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 11,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2016 - 19:34

Good review! The more the handwriting, the better, as always. That's what I like about your reviews. And thanks for referring to my site. Actually I was a bit subjective, but who isn't?

In any case, my biggest complaint was not that it is a bad ink or anything like that (and you didn't say that either), it's just that it's not at all what I was expecting....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,630 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2016 - 20:05

I think it looks a little light too. I prefer Lamy Dark Lilac to this one.  :)

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 Jackokun

Jackokun

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2016 - 21:27

Thanks  for putting this up!, I was looking forward to this ink review. not sure if it is an ink that I would be a daily writer, it seems lighter than the ones I have, , however with a bottle already in the mail, I'll see soon if it is a keeper 

+1 to Dark Lilac 

I think it looks a little light too. I prefer Lamy Dark Lilac to this one.  :)

Edited by Jackokun, 22 July 2016 - 21:30.

"When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of smile.png

#6 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2016 - 23:04

I'd rather use Sailor Fuji-musume.

#7 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Premium - Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2016 - 23:14

I yike it

#8 migo984

migo984

Bihemispherical Global Nomad

• Member - Gold

• 3,545 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 23:59

I really like the newer GvFC inks. I use them in finer nibs. They are distinctly vintage (heritage) without the awful watery-ness and dryness of most Herbin inks. They're a very refreshing change and addition to the line. I really hope they make more colours with similar characteristics.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#9 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:00

@Migo - it's really cool that we're all so differenet :) For example I love J. Herbin inks, even the subdued ones (except for Gris Nuage and Bleu Azur and Diabolo Menthe) but I dislike new GvFC inks. 

#10 VodnikVolsovecek

VodnikVolsovecek

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2016 - 17:15

Well, I would rather not choose a violet, but at least this GvFC colour is decently saturated.

Edited by VodnikVolsovecek, 01 October 2016 - 21:58.

It may be worth to have a look at my classifieds :)

#11 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:43

I bought a sample of this ink recently and just filled a Waterman pen with it.  It is not an unattractive color, although I prefer Kaweco Summer Purple on the dusty side and Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu on the floral side--but it seems extremely dry to me.  

#12 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:22

Since this topic has been revived, I will add my two cents. 

I purchased as sample after seeing this review.  I like the color - just a bit subdued with a slight gray undertone.  I liked the color and actually found it to not be as light as posted.  What I did not like was the flow of the ink. It does not flow nearly as well as Cobalt Blue or even as Hazelnut Brown.  Also it leaves a slight residue that I do not like at all.

I agree with Vis, I am disappointed.  GvFC Cobalt Blue is one of my favorite inks.  Violet Blue is not anything like it.   

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#13 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:59

Really pretty. I like the blue halo the lines seem to have.

Thank you.

I'ma massive fan of GvFC pens but have yet to pull the trigger on any of their inks.

(I came really close with Stone Grey but remained strong  :rolleyes: )

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graf von faber-castell

Sponsored Content

|