Question For The Long Time Restorers - What Pens Are More To Breaking During Restoration?

Garageboy

As many pens in our beloved hobby are approaching the century mark - we're going to start seeing some material decay - shrinking plastics, brittle plastics, etc

So- What pens make you nervous when you work on them, and how can we prevent breaking more pens while trying to restore them? (beyond the typical "get sections up to temperature without melting them, etc)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• ac12

• gregamckinney

• terim

Know your limits, and when to punt.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I would suggest we are not "going to start" seeing materials decay and instead suggest we have been seeing it for a long time.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I would suggest we are not "going to start" seeing materials decay and instead suggest we have been seeing it for a long time.

What do you least like working on FB- from the perspective of fragile materials?

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

+1

I have a Parker 51 where the hood shrank so badly that it looked like shrink wrap clinging to the collector. I had to cut the hood in half to get it off the pen. Though it might have been more pieces, it was a few years ago.

I have a Skyline where the cap shrank enough that the band is practically falling off.

I've seen pens where the celluloid has been crazing/breaking down.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

What do you least like working on FB- from the perspective of fragile materials?

greg

Moore FIngertip pens and early MB Celluloid would be the top two on the list.

Skylines as mentioned have brittle barrels and shrunk cap internals. A lot of the Sheaffer pens have soft celluloid and shrink quickly when heated.

Injection molded Parker parts lack gusto like 61 hoods and later 51s.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

greg

oops posted that twice

Edited by FarmBoy

Moore FIngertip pens and early MB Celluloid would be the top two on the list.

Skylines as mentioned have brittle barrels and shrunk cap internals. A lot of the Sheaffer pens have soft celluloid and shrink quickly when heated.

Injection molded Parker parts lack gusto like 61 hoods and later 51s.

I bought a Skyline in the late 1990's after very carefully examining it in the antique store. When I put it in room temperature water to soak, I felt the barrel crack. While I was checking out the crack, it fractured and fell in three pieces. It was the only Skyline I ever bought. I gave away the cap, section and nib. While I realize not all Skylines are in the same shape as that one, I have avoided them just the same. I freely admit it may have been that I did not do as effective a job examining the pen in the antique store as I thought.

I was warned away from Moore pens by Ross of Ross Pens who is a collector of Moore pens. Even though he collects them, he warns against buying them.

I have never even held a Moore fountain pen in my hands and I admit to running scared from Skylines despite the fact that some are restoreable. I am glad to see these pens listed by so able a pen restorer as FarmBoy. Maybe my cowardice is a little justified if even he lists them as problem pens to restore.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

+1

I have a Parker 51 where the hood shrank so badly that it looked like shrink wrap clinging to the collector. I had to cut the hood in half to get it off the pen. Though it might have been more pieces, it was a few years ago.

Had the same thing with a 61. Took forever to get the stupid hood off—it was like it was welded. In spite of careful sawing with a jeweler's saw I still managed to cut the collector as well. To my surprise, a little bit of super glue on the collector, a new shell and the pen ended up writing fine. But I never want to mess with a 61 shell again!

I'm a bit nervous about my Waterman's Ideal 52 because I hear they shatter if dropped. I'm also nervous with the piston on my 1930s Kaweco Dia. It's tight, and I'm scared of breaking it. I might try silicon grease if I get brave enough to take it apart.

And there is always the fear of damaging a nib on a pen you can no longer replace.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!