Your Favorite Lamy Safari Color?

Garageboy

Hi, I often use, and like my 'charcoal' Safari (in matte finish) but I think the glossy finish Safaris do feel more 'grippy' in use, but that could just be me !

A couple more photos of the charcoal Safari, and the French blue one, showing the 'limited edition' cap button that makes it a bit different to the other Safari fountain pens I have,

Edited by Mike 59

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Engineer

• Mike 59

• pen2paper

• christof

I started using fountain pens in 2013; my first Lamy was an apple green (maybe a limited edition that year?). I've collected every new and existing color since then, not gone the eBay/collectibles route. (I like them, but not that much). That said, now that I have my Dark Lilac (probably my favorite *Safari* color), I'm ready for them to dip back into the blue/turquoise well again. It's been a long yellow/green/neon spell. ;)

Edited by FountainPenCowgirl

My favorite color is in here, but what stands out - or rather doesn't stand out - is the single pen I've used most in the toughest circumstances possible, and still looks great, functions perfectly... (guess which one).

wish I was aging so nicely ; - )

this pen is why I easily recommend Safari - if it fits your hand and requirements

post-7843-0-56092000-1472594388_thumb.jpg

My favourites are the aquamarine and dark lilac. Next on my list is to get a lime green or neon coral one.

pen2paper, Looking at your photo, and looking for signs of wear, hmm, the one that's just less glossy is the white one.

I am guessing your most used Safari is that one, but would be interested to know which.

I have a few Safaris too, a rightly popular pen, but one of them I just don't use because of it's colour, it writes well enough, but yet has no appeal to me. Not much point in saying which it is because it's only my opinion, some become favourites because of when and maybe the circumstances we use them.

Several years ago I had to do several courses, which I didn't enjoy at all, the best (or only good thing) about doing them, was the charcoal Safari I used, and I still use today, strange reason maybe, but how it was.

pen2paper, Looking at your photo, and looking for signs of wear, hmm, the one that's just less glossy is the white one.

I am guessing your most used Safari is that one, but would be interested to know which...

This photo surprised me too. Not the white, which like most above (except charcoal, yellow, and RED) has not been used at all.

My first Safari is the RED which I actually set aside for a few years finding the grip somewhat awkward, the nib not refined like smooth gold nibs that sort of float on paper.

Then... I needed a reliable pen to do daily work reports after being in the field (rigorous work) as a job coach. I remembered that giant clip, which proved it could stay at the ready on my sweater for quick use, and the always reliable nib was now recognized for its worker-bee quality.

So, while the blue with red clip is my favorite color Safari, the RED is my time-tested sentimental favorite. Best $20 ever spent.

Hi, Well I guessed wrongly, so proves how well these modest pens wear, or don't.

I think some pens do become favourite because of the situations that we use them in, I can go with most colours, it doesn't bother me that much, but how a nib works for or against me does make a lot of difference.

My charcoal Safari has a medium nib where the tipping is way off center, it really shouldn't work well, but yet it ran in to become smooth and slighlty wider-than-medium, and I used that one through several years of 'get me back to work' type courses, it proved to be a favourite over time and use.

I never have any doubt that it will just write how I like, with a flush through of water every couple of months, I couldn't complain about the price I paid either.

Edited by Mike 59

Hi, Well I guessed wrongly, so proves how well these modest pens wear, or don't.

I think some pens do become favourite because of the situations that we use them in, I can go with most colours, it doesn't bother me that much, but how a nib works for or against me does make a lot of difference.

My charcoal Safari has a medium nib where the tipping is way off center, it really shouldn't work well, but yet it ran in to become smooth and slighlty wider-than-medium, and I used that one through several years of 'get me back to work' type courses, it proved to be a favourite over time and use.

I never have any doubt that it will just write how I like, with a flush through of water every couple of months, I couldn't complain about the price I paid either.

within limits, miss alignment is no problem.... and as long as it does not worry you. even better

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

In reality the colour makes no difference whatsoever, obviously, but trying to see it from LAMY's point of view, the market for these pens is very wide ranging, from school use, students at college or uni, and anyone who knows the difference a fountain pen makes to their writing.

Colours do go in and out of fashion over time, I suppose LAMY tries to cover all possibilities and would have sales figures that show certain colours do sell better than others.

It's a personal choice of course, I have no need for trendy colours, but, over time I've noticed that I don't tend to use black or dark blue or green pens, no real reason though. But it's odd how the demonstrators seem to be popular, with no colour, and I certainly use my own Vista as much as any other.

In reality the colour makes no difference whatsoever, obviously, but trying to see it from LAMY's point of view, the market for these pens is very wide ranging, from school use, students at college or uni, and anyone who knows the difference a fountain pen makes to their writing.

Colours do go in and out of fashion over time, I suppose LAMY tries to cover all possibilities and would have sales figures that show certain colours do sell better than others.

It's a personal choice of course, I have no need for trendy colours, but, over time I've noticed that I don't tend to use black or dark blue or green pens, no real reason though. But it's odd how the demonstrators seem to be popular, with no colour, and I certainly use my own Vista as much as any other.

Originally, the Safari was targeted towards the school market. You are quite right. To our utmost surprise we noted sales reaching beyond our wildest dreams. I remember discussions on more colours. Marketing almost killed me. The first other colour was a light blue for an advertising plot of Gouloise,with a white clip and cap screw...my suggested WHITE nib caused the expected outrage. Ha! Ha! Ha!! That's how the black nib happened. A victory during withdrawal.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

Hi PenIngeneer, I've just read your link in orange, interesting, appreciate the comments you made about the Safari generally.

There are many cheaper 'entry level' fountain pens, but I think the Safari is better value for money, in that it actually works well, and has the unusual and useful feature of the 'plug in' range of nibs, that the average user can easily afford.

I own five, and can't think of a single fault in any of them, aside from the off-centre tipping on the charcoal version, easily replaced of course, if it wasn't such a smooth writer as it stands.

Edited by Mike 59

My first safari was the Charcoal, but the Dark Lilac is definitely my favorite. I've got it loaded with Diamine Damson, and it's an awesome match.

Originally, the Safari was targeted towards the school market. You are quite right. To our utmost surprise we noted sales reaching beyond our wildest dreams. I remember discussions on more colours. Marketing almost killed me. The first other colour was a light blue for an advertising plot of Gouloise,with a white clip and cap screw...my suggested WHITE nib caused the expected outrage. Ha! Ha! Ha!! That's how the black nib happened. A victory during withdrawal.

Now this is interesting. I have never heard of nor seen the Gauloises Edition!

But can you confirm that the first official color (other than Savannagrün and Terrarot) was white, called Alpin?

I made a short timline of the different official early colors from old catalogs and price lists:

29455088282_623aa68d7d_o.jpg

Do you think this is correct?

Thanks

C.

Hi PenIngeneer, I've just read your link in orange, interesting, appreciate the comments you made about the Safari generally.

There are many cheaper 'entry level' fountain pens, but I think the Safari is better value for money, in that it actually works well, and has the unusual and useful feature of the 'plug in' range of nibs, that the average user can easily afford.

I own five, and can't think of a single fault in any of them, aside from the off-centre tipping on the charcoal version, easily replaced of course, if it wasn't such a smooth writer as it stands.

I am very glad to hear that you are happy with your safaris

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

But can you confirm that the first official color (other than Savannagrün and Terrarot) was white, called Alpin?

I made a short timline of the different official early colors from old catalogs and price lists:

Thanks

C.

The light blue for Gauloise was only for their advertising, it was not an actual edition or official release. At the time the temptation for the sales department must have been substantial. In those days, decision on colour and shape were taken extremely seriously. A reputation for good styling (and quality function) must be earned.

The gloss white completed my last involvement. I left Lamy in 1983 and my new life engrossed me to absolutely. I can't verify your table.

The old team retired late 1990 to mid 2000. It appears to me that through lack of understanding and greed the styling attitude has vanished. Anything goes as long as it makes money. The way so many reputable companies and brands have gone.

Ah, the good old days!

Edited by PenIngeneer

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

I love black fountain pens.But in case of lamy safari I choose the hot red(code16)colour.At present I've two red lamy safari in my collection.The only difference is in point size,i.e.,medium and fine.

much ado about colour, amazing

I certainly miss a point here. Wonder what it is?

Ford's Model T automobile came in any color you could imagine, as long as it was Black...

Per the rainbow of evidence, once actual use established Safari design as durable and reliable, Lamy utilized color, and the wishes of Our imagination created marketing opportunity.

Thanks

C.

interesting.. I thought my safari (photo above) were in correct order of manufacture. Griso is much later!

So my glossy red is heading towards 30 years of solid service, in still excellent condition.