Blackstone Barrister Blue (Permanent) Ink

Jamerelbe

Picked up a bottle of this at the DC show from Anderson. The only pen I've tried it in is a Waterman L'Etalon with an EF nib, made smooth as silk by Linda Kennedy last year. To me, it's more black than blue, but that may be just the nib. Will have to try it in some broader nibs. Good lubrication and flow--this might be just the thing for work.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• jmccarty3

• lapis

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up a bottle of this at the DC show from Anderson. The only pen I've tried it in is a Waterman L'Etalon with an EF nib, made smooth as silk by Linda Kennedy last year. To me, it's more black than blue, but that may be just the nib. Will have to try it in some broader nibs. Good lubrication and flow--this might be just the thing for work.

It'll vary somewhat from one pen to another but yes, in some pens at least it's a *very* dark blue - and tends to darken a little further as it dries.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gone through a couple of fills of this with my Waterman L'Etalon EF, and I'm very pleased with the color and the behavior of this ink. Nice lubrication, no feathering on cheap paper (although you get bleedthrough as with almost everything). I highly recommend this as a business-friendly ink.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this nano-pigmented like the Black? Is it out yet anywhere for purchase, can't see it on JustWrite?

No, it's not nano-pigmented - but Kevin has not been keen to say too much about how the water-proofness is achieved. All I can tell you is it's pretty waterfast, but very kind to the pens I've used it in.

As to availability, you can buy it from a couple of international suppliers (Anderson Pens in the US, and I think a European retailer?), but there's been some delay making it available on his own website. Judging from his most recent newsletter (July I think), he was able to satisfy his international orders, but had issues getting sufficient containers to package for the local Australian market. I've asked for an update recently, but no ETA as yet. Thankfully I've still got half a sample vial left!

I got my bottle from the Andersons at the DC show, and will be picking up another at the Dallas show this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received Nalgene 30ml bottles of Barrister Black, Barrister Blue and (just in time for spring) Golden Wattle.

The Black is Black. The same deep, dark, nano-tube carbon black that we know and love from Sailor Kiwaguro, but a deeper, darker more lusciously lubricious* black.

The Blue is interesting. Goes down Blue, dries to a darker, almost Black, Blue? Remind you of any other inks like that? After a few minutes drying, and rinsed off under very hot running water, the blue goes away, leaving black.

More testing to come.

*Yes, used deliberately...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

@Dcwaites, reminds me a little of the Diamine Registrar's ink I have in my drawer - but it doesn't go quite as dark, and (without having done a direct comparison) I'd say it flows better in my pens.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received Nalgene 30ml bottles of Barrister Black, Barrister Blue and (just in time for spring) Golden Wattle.

The Black is Black. The same deep, dark, nano-tube carbon black that we know and love from Sailor Kiwaguro, but a deeper, darker more lusciously lubricious* black.

The Blue is interesting. Goes down Blue, dries to a darker, almost Black, Blue? Remind you of any other inks like that? After a few minutes drying, and rinsed off under very hot running water, the blue goes away, leaving black.

More testing to come.

*Yes, used deliberately...

Ok, I have checked with Kevin, and he has sent this reply --

I checked with Lionel and he suggested that referring to it as a 'Surrogate Iron Gall' ink' or preferably (my preference) a 'Ferro Tannate' ink would be more accurate as it is quite different from traditional iron gall inks.

It should be comparable to Lamy and Montblanc blue/black inks.

In case you'd like a bit more explanation it's actually a stoichiometrically optimized ferro tannate ink which basically means that the ratio of each ingredient has been carefully optimised to ensure as far as possible that all of the chemicals used are fully consumed in the reactions that result in the ferro tannate which is the final product left on the paper after exposure to oxygen in the air.

This means there is much less chance of precipitaion of unused iron compounds in the bottle and consequently less chance of blockages in the pen and a less acidic ink than traditional iron gall inks.

I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it.

So, please use the ink, and report your impressions back here.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 2 years later...

I got my bottle from the Andersons at the DC show, and will be picking up another at the Dallas show this weekend.

I got mine from Anderson’s at the 2018 Ohio Pen Show. It is excellent. I have it in a Platinum 3776, with a broad nib. It is excellent.

• 6 months later...

Ok, I have checked with Kevin, and he has sent this reply --

I checked with Lionel and he suggested that referring to it as a 'Surrogate Iron Gall' ink' or preferably (my preference) a 'Ferro Tannate' ink would be more accurate as it is quite different from traditional iron gall inks.

It should be comparable to Lamy and Montblanc blue/black inks.

In case you'd like a bit more explanation it's actually a stoichiometrically optimized ferro tannate ink which basically means that the ratio of each ingredient has been carefully optimised to ensure as far as possible that all of the chemicals used are fully consumed in the reactions that result in the ferro tannate which is the final product left on the paper after exposure to oxygen in the air.

This means there is much less chance of precipitaion of unused iron compounds in the bottle and consequently less chance of blockages in the pen and a less acidic ink than traditional iron gall inks.

I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it.

So, please use the ink, and report your impressions back here.

I have just got a bottle of barrister blue in the uk and it looks nothing like the previous scans, showing a blue black type colouration.

my blue does not change colour and is a definite blue with some turquoise.

I think they must have re-formulated from the ferro tannate to a nano pigment.

personally I would have preferred the ferro tannate typr ink.

I should have gone for the Blue-Black, instead of Blue.

Bummer.

Edited by dave321

I have just got a bottle of barrister blue in the uk and it looks nothing like the previous scans, showing a blue black type colouration.

my blue does not change colour and is a definite blue with some turquoise.

I think they must have re-formulated from the ferro tannate to a nano pigment.

personally I would have preferred the ferro tannate typr ink.

I should have gone for the Blue-Black, instead of Blue.

Bummer.

Sorry you've had this experience - yes, Blackstone reformulated their Barrister Blue ink some time ago, moving to a nano-pigment based ink that's much bluer (almost turquoise). The new Blue-Black is closer in colour to the old Blue, but is different again (also pigment-based) - I really like it, but it reminds me of the old Parker Blue-Black with its slight grey-greenish tinge. I'm hoping to post a review in the near future - might also review the newer version of Blue?

I'm hoping to post a review in the near future - might also review the newer version of Blue?

Both would be great: I'm trying to decide between the two. :)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.