Tomoe River 68Gsm From Uk, Bad Experience.

dezorz

I have ordered Tomoe River sheets, 68gsm from eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Heavyweight-68gsm-Tomoe-River-Fountain-Pen-Paper-A4-140-White-Sheets-/331905728551?hash=item4d471f8027:g:kdsAAOSwVFlUFBk8

I have just tried it, it is completely different than Tomoe River 52gsm or 68gsm from Taroko Design Notebook.

It feathers heavylly, terrible bleedthrough, no sheen, lots of absorption, about a minuite of an ink splash, it is dry, original tomoe river - even after five minutes it is wet. .....

It came in a box in a unsealed plastic sack, can noit verify authenticity.

Anyone else made an order from this seller? Good Experience?

First four photos, received product, remaing photoes, original TR.

post-129341-0-98948800-1469110115_thumb.jpg

post-129341-0-92331800-1469110124_thumb.jpg

post-129341-0-48043100-1469110135_thumb.jpg

post-129341-0-47249400-1469110142_thumb.jpg

post-129341-0-21767500-1469110213_thumb.jpg

post-129341-0-17433600-1469110221_thumb.jpg

post-129341-0-81982800-1469110230_thumb.jpg

Edited by dezorz

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dezorz

• alc3261

• rafapa

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like it's corrugated in almost all of the pictures. Is it really that shape or are they reflections from something?

I would expect some showthrough/bleedthrough when using a broad brush, but I've never tried this paper from this seller. I can see there is a difference in the showthrough on the last picture.

Have you told the seller you're unhappy with it?

I bought from a vendor named sach with the same experience. Curiously the cream ones are good and the white ones bad. Unfortunately i purchased more pages of the white one.

Thanks for Information and clarification, i am asuming it is same seller. I have opened a dispute on ebay. My seller has 100 percent reputation from about 80 transactions. He or she might not do it intentionally, i guess.

Apparently there was a huge problem with a lot of vendors getting a "bad batch" of white tomoe river paper recently. I have had a few FP pen pals mention this (and now that I think about it, they were all in the UK). I didn't know it was the thicker one (68 gsm) that was the problem though. Check with moderator alc3261, who is the one who originally told me about the issue.

Apparently there was a huge problem with a lot of vendors getting a "bad batch" of white tomoe river paper recently. I have had a few FP pen pals mention this (and now that I think about it, they were all in the UK). I didn't know it was the thicker one (68 gsm) that was the problem though. Check with moderator alc3261, who is the one who originally told me about the issue.

thanks. it makes sense. i sent alc3261 a PM, we will see.

anyway, i dont know where else to buy 68gsm TR sheets than this eBay shop.

There was a thread a coupla years ago where someone got a big order of TR and found it no longer FP-friendly - turned out there is a range of TR papers that all look the same, but have different sizing treatments depending on end use. Simple error at any point along the distribution line and you could easily get a "bad batch" that isn't really bad, it's just the wrong product. Sounds like that might possibly have happened here. Hang on I'll find the thread... yeah, here it is.

There was a thread a coupla years ago where someone got a big order of TR and found it no longer FP-friendly - turned out there is a range of TR papers that all look the same, but have different sizing treatments depending on end use. Simple error at any point along the distribution line and you could easily get a "bad batch" that isn't really bad, it's just the wrong product. Sounds like that might possibly have happened here. Hang on I'll find the thread... yeah, here it is.

i got an answer from the seller, the paper(white 68gsm) i got was divided from 2000 sheet pack.

it looks like the seller might have made an error when ordering.

http://www.tomoegawa.co.jp/english/e_product_tech/e_paper/TomoeRiverFP_English.pdf

http://www.tomoegawa.co.jp/english/e_product_tech/e_paper/index.html

i am new fountain pen user, but i have sampled most japanese paper makers (kokuyo, life, apica, tsubame, matsuia, maruman, tomoe, graphillo....) i know what to expect from a good japanese FP friendly paper.

paper i got behaves like a copy paper. better copy paper, but still, copy paper. it seems, tomoegawa makes thin copy papers too. (second link above). the UK seller might have made an error.

it seems, that 52 gsm paper is sold in 100 sheets packages, originally from tomoe river, but 68gsm is sold only in higher quantities (i just asume this) it is shame. i like graphillo, second to tomoe river, but i would preffer tomoe river notebooks in variety as, say, kokuyo campus line, so i would not need to make notebooks by myself and look for loose sheets.

The recent batch of WHITE TR 68gsm Worldwide is faulty.

The number of coats of size were incorrect.

The faulty batch has turned up in the UK, Taiwan, Hong Kong, USA etc, etc.

It isn't the vendor's fault, it was the supplier who sent out the wrong type ot TR or a faulty batch.

TR comes in a huge range of sub-types.

The Cream 68gsm in circulation at present is fine, it is just the White which is faulty.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

i got an answer from the seller, the paper(white 68gsm) i got was divided from 2000 sheet pack.

it looks like the seller might have made an error when ordering.

Any solution from the seller? Mine only offered an apology but no real solution to the problem. If they are the same person we are talking about something different here because my seller knows the paper is deffective since a couple of months ago.

Any solution from the seller? Mine only offered an apology but no real solution to the problem. If they are the same person we are talking about something different here because my seller knows the paper is deffective since a couple of months ago.

On ebay I find this in the description of the White 68gsm:-

This is the 68gsm version of the Tomoe River notebook paper. The white version of this paper has somewhat different properties than the original 52gsm and the cream 68gsm paper, and can bleed and feather with certain inks.

I do not think this is strictly correct and if it is the same seller I have told him this is a "faulty or incorrect batch"
68gsm TR White paper is normally exactly the same as the Cream in behaviour.

On ebay I find this in the description of the White 68gsm:-

This is the 68gsm version of the Tomoe River notebook paper. The white version of this paper has somewhat different properties than the original 52gsm and the cream 68gsm paper, and can bleed and feather with certain inks.

I do not think this is strictly correct and if it is the same seller I have told him this is a "faulty or incorrect batch"

68gsm TR White paper is normally exactly the same as the Cream in behaviour.

The description was "Last updated on 21 Jul, 2016 15:54:17 BST"

When I say that I told the person from whom I bought some (who may or may not be the same person) that it is a "faulty or incorrect batch", this was well over a month ago.

When I say that I told the person from whom I bought some (who may or may not be the same person) that it is a "faulty or incorrect batch", this was well over a month ago.

I believe we are mostly saying the same thing. I also told the seller from whom I bought the TR paper almost two month ago the paper was wrong. His answer was

On 05/06/2016 21:27, Tomoe River wrote:

Hi Rafael

There seems to be a big difference between the cream and the White. I

thought the white paper behaved very differently, but the cream is

like the 52gsm. Try the cream paper.

I won't be buying any more of the White 68gsm till I know for sure

this is sorted...!

The ebay listing mentioned in the first message was cancelled yesterday

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

Ended: 21 Jul, 2016 15:48:22 BST

Coincidence? It looks to me he read FPN and cancelled the lisiting and replaced it with a new one including the paragraph you posted before.

thanks. it makes sense. i sent alc3261 a PM, we will see.

anyway, i dont know where else to buy 68gsm TR sheets than this eBay shop.

I don't know about sheets but I picked up A5 and Midori TN regular size booklets of 68gsm Tomoe River and I'm pretty happy with the paper.

https://tarokoshop.com

no solution yet. i got just one message yesterday, nothing more, though as we see the seller closed the auction, made some changes, etc...

this is the message i got yesterday:

"Hi Thanks for the message. I apologise for the the the disappointment with this paper. As a fountain pen enthusiast, let me assure you that this is the 68gsm paper that I ordered from Japan. The White 68gsm paper does seem to have very different properties to the original 52gsm paper and the cream 68gsm paper as well. The paper comes in large 2000 sheet packs which I then subdivide into plastic wallets and send. I've been doing this before Tome river was even available as a branded small packet. This is definitely the authentic Tomoe River 68gsm White, and I can send you pictures of the whole box that I have with the writing in Japanese if you like."

The reply form the seller came few minutes later. :21-Jul-16 16:01. It is not coincidence.

I dont remember seeing any description like "somewhat different properties " when I was ordering the paper. and sas alc3261 said, it is not quite the case. the paper I got behaves like a copy paper, not just like a little bit different tomoe river.

The description when I was ordering was: "Cream and white sheets available in 100 sheet packs. Please specify what you require." It is not exactly true either, since 68gsm paper is sold in 70 pieces packs. (70,140,210) .