Iron Gall Ink

Charles Skinner

Briefly, what is Iron Gall ink? ---- Is it harmful in daily fountain pen use? ---- Who uses it, and why? Briefly please.

C. S.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• inkstainedruth

• sleepyjz

• Charles Skinner

Iron, from multiple sources, including furnace trash, is mixed with an acid. The results are diluted, and used as ink. The ink penetrates the paper surface and "entangles" with paper fibers. This makes it very hard to erase. The initial color varies, but it is generally greenish-charcoal gray. Eventually, oxidation turns the color "rusty". It dates back nearly 2000 years.

(If my information is not entirely correct, it ought to be.)

Opinions vary on whether IG ink should be used in your fountain pens. Some FPN people, whom I trust very much, insist that modern iron gall ink is safe in your fountain pens. I have no reason to dispute, or test the claims in my fountain pens.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Yes, IG inks have been around a long time. My understanding is that, originally, they were brewed from a mixture containing iron oxide (rust) and acidic tannin from oak galls. The wet ink is almost colourless and so indigo dye was added so the writer could see their work as they went. The dry ink would then react with the paper to form a permanent, black line which would tend to turn brown with age if the ink were not mixed just right.

These inks were corrosive but today's offerings are more carefully controlled and are supposed to be fountain pen safe. I know many contributors here use them regularly with no ill effects provided the pen is cleaned frequently. My own experience has not been so good; in chronological order:

Pelikan 4001 BlBk - bought about 4 years ago. Alright when pen first filled, but ran drier and drier until not worth the hassle after about 3 days when a really thorough clean was needed. More recently I seem to have had a little more luck (perhaps have wetter pens) but the ink has lost all blueness and appears a dull grey when wet and slightly darker afterwards. I understand this is not available in USA.

Lamy BlBk - as above but more so. Now goes down darker grey and dries to a dark black. Current version not IG.

R & K Salix - far more successful. Used a 50ml bottle in about 3 months 3 years back with no problems, did not flush the pen once. Did not replace because it really seemed rather pale grey and I wanted a stronger colour.

R & K Scabiosa - interesting but very dry.

Diamine Registrars' - This is a full strength IG and does need careful maintenance. At first I loved it, goes down on the page quite a strong blue and dries to black - great fun. But after about 3 days I noticed the ink window of the Pelikan M200 going black. A varnish-like deposit was building up which took ages to remove. Any ink which requires flushing and cleaning every day is too much for me.

ESSRI - A final go at IG ink last year. Very much like Diamine and a little better behaved. I was not going to risk the Pelikan again but found flow reducing after a couple of days in a couple of old Parkers, so abandoned that before it could do any harm.

That is my story and I know others have happier tales to tell. A shame, because I really like the idea of using such a traditional ink which changes colour and is absolutely waterproof.

For me Iron Gall inks are interesting and very versatile. No feathering regardless of paper quality, no smudging once dry, and it shades like no other ink on cheap paper. I've been using them for months with no issue. I take a BSB approach to the pens I use them in which I'm starting to think is overkill because I have seen nothing alarming. Nevertheless care should be taken when using these inks and having a dedicated pen to use with them isn't the worst idea!

Reasons I use it aside from those above: a south-paw's dream, permanent, fascinating color change, and has more character than black ink IMO

Edited by sleepyjz

R & K Salix - far more successful. Used a 50ml bottle in about 3 months 3 years back with no problems, did not flush the pen once. Did not replace because it really seemed rather pale grey and I wanted a stronger colour.

This was my first IG. Had a "fling" with it, then also decided it was just too pale.

As to the second part to the OP question...

Modern ferrogallic inks (formulated for fountain pens) are completely safe to use on a daily basis, as long as this ink is not allowed to dry up inside your pen & a more thorough pen hygiene is observed. I always have at least one of my pens filled with an iron gall ink.

Much information can be found on FPN about how to perform this preventative maintenance on your pen. Sandy1's excellent posts on this topic come to mind.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I'm a fan of iron gall inks. They just take a bit of extra maintenance when flushing (use a dilute vinegar solution in the same ratio as ammonia solution, just using plain white vinegar instead of ammonia). And I use them a lot in Parker Vectors, which have steel nibs....

I live in hope that someday there will be a reappearance of my favorite: FPN member Pharmacist's Turkish Night (which oxidizes from cyan to a blue-leaning green; I had hoped that KWZI IG Turquoise would be a substitute, but it oxidizes to a different color -- more teal than green. OTOH, my second favorite IG ink is KWZI IG Violet #3, which is gorgeous and isn't as dry as many IG inks are.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

OTOH, my second favorite IG ink is KWZI IG Violet #3, which is are.

Sorry Ruth, I accidentally erased the rear half of your sentence on KWZI's IG Violet # 3. :blush:

Did you say that it is not as dry as some other IGs?

I found a source of them at Vanness. I love R&K's Scabiosa's colour, lack of saturation & shading as well.

How does the # 3 fare with you, as compared to the Scabiosa?

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

I use Diamine Registrars everyday. Waterproof. I like the color change. 5+ years and no problems for me yet.

Don't let it dry out in your pen. Don't let any ink dry out in your pen.

Don't use "old-fashioned" aka non-fountain pen iron gall ink. That's for dip nibs.

Sorry Ruth, I accidentally erased the rear half of your sentence on KWZI's IG Violet # 3. :blush:

Did you say that it is not as dry as some other IGs?

I found a source of them at Vanness. I love R&K's Scabiosa's colour, lack of saturation & shading as well.

How does the # 3 fare with you, as compared to the Scabiosa?

Very different in tone as well as saturation (even though they're both red-violet leaning). Scabiosa is more of a soft, dusty color, but has a lot of shading. Violet #3 is much more vibrant, but doesn't have nearly as much shading to it as a result (although there is some). Neither is 100% waterproof, but are water resistant; because it's brighter and more saturated, though, Violet #3 comes *across* as being more water resistant on the page (even if it's not). I haven't tested either for UV resistance.

I like both; I have a preference for the brightness of Violet #3 (but that's just me -- YMMV).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This was my first IG. Had a "fling" with it, then also decided it was just too pale.

Yes it is but when diluted 7:1 with ESSR it is absolute magic.

Briefly, what is Iron Gall ink? ---- Is it harmful in daily fountain pen use? ---- Who uses it, and why? Briefly please.

C. S.

Hi,

I've been using iron-gall inks in my daily writer (steel nib roting 600) whenever I'm in the field without a hitch for a fair few years.

To me, I-G inks suit daily writer use to a 'T': keep them full of fresh ink and write lots.

__ __

Perhaps my most extensive chat about I-G inks, (other than my wee ESSRI Review), starts with Post 17 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/266828-diamine-registrars-ink-and-other-modern-iron-galls/?p=2997172

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

I've been using iron-gall inks in my daily writer (steel nib roting 600) whenever I'm in the field without a hitch for a fair few years.

To me, I-G inks suit daily writer use to a 'T': keep them full of fresh ink and write lots.

__ __

Perhaps my most extensive chat about I-G inks, (other than my wee ESSRI Review), starts with Post 17 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/266828-diamine-registrars-ink-and-other-modern-iron-galls/?p=2997172

Bye,

S1

Glad you chimed in Sandy & thank you for your link. At present I have a Sailor 1911 Standard in burgundy, with a 0.6 mm round-nose CI filled with a new favourite IG ink,... Platinum's blue/black. I would love to have you review it.

For now, I'll need to read, mark & inwardly digest that thread.

István

Right now I have KWZI Iron Gall Turquoise, in my True Writer Silver Anniversary. IG Turquoise isn't as dry as some other IG's but it makes the nib in this pen squeak sometimes.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain