Need Advices About A Wahl Eversharp Doric Junior

drop_m

Somehow i'm came in possess of a Wahl Eversharp Doric Junior for 10€ plus shipping costs - with a parker 51 and a nice waterman's in the same lot :rolleyes:
It's in really good shape and i want to service it - i can ear the sound of a shattered sac from the inside - but i know almost nothing about it's construction - is my first Eversharp too - so i've some questions for someone more expert than me:

- is the section friction fit?
- the lever seems to be blocked by the oxided sac but if it will not be so, what type of lever/pressure-bar system i'll need to repair?
- the nib/feed unity seems to be ok - a "flexible" marked nib with long tines - but i've read the nib is screwed in in the section. is it true?

plus, if someone have any other advices, feel free to point me in the right direction!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drop_m

• Hanamizu

A little update waiting someone's advices:

The section seem to be really tight fitted, for now i've not managed to pull it out but i've not spent enough time on it.

More concerning: The nib unit has came off from the section during a wwriting test. it has no treads on it and i can't re-fit in the section (pushing it nor screwing it). Am i missing something or it' just broken?

Patience and heat are the keys to removing the section. My junior was friction fit and yours likely is too, but don't be in a hurry. Give it some heat, try to remove the section. If it doesn't budge, give it and yourself a bit of time and try again. The sound of a barrel cracking on a neat pen like a Doric is not one you want to hear! Using a little heat and time will likely lead to success. Good luck.

When you say "nib unit", do you mean just the nib or did part or all of the feed come out?

I agree with you! i'm not rushing, i've just tried with moderate heat and - without applying insame force - nothing has moved.. i will retry when i'll have enough time.
Concerning the nib unit, it came off the nib, the feed and the little cilinder which enclose them. i'm new with this last part, first time i see something like it in a vintage fountain pen, so i'm little confused about how it should works.. it doesn't seems to have any treads and i've read the nib unit of Dorics is screwed in.. but maybe i'm wrong

Edited by drop_m

• 1 month later...
Eventually, i've managed to service the pen.

If it could be useful to someone:

- is the section friction fit? The section is friction fit and in my case a very tight one. I don't think I would have made to pull it out without a pair of section pliers and a lot of heat.

- the lever seems to be blocked by the oxidized sac but if it will not be so, what type of lever/pressure-bar system i'll need to repair? The lever - which is anchored to the barrel from a half-ring - is attached to a pressure bar like the one used in early waterman's

- the nib/feed unity seems to be ok - a "flexible" marked nib with long tines - but i've read the nib is screwed in in the section. is it true? The nib and feed are pression fitted in a "container" of hard rubber which is screwed in in the section