Strange Cap On Sheaffer?

estierney

I bought this pen as a junker to restore and was successful with some minor repairs. Hold ink and is writting very nicely. The strange thing I have never seen before is the "window in the cap" It is a lever filler. Wondering if there was something there that fell off or was this a demo pen? What shows thru the hole when capped is the nib. The hole is perfectly oblong.

Thanks

Steve

post-130431-0-09077400-1468952262_thumb.jpg

post-130431-0-66379700-1468952277_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• estierney

• jar

• Sasha Royale

• Pincel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lticaptd: This doubting Thomas won't believe the photograph. I will have to thrust my finger into the hole. This compares to a short-sleeved hazmat suit. :rolleyes:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

That's what I thought but surprisingly it doesn't dry out when I use it once a day. It almost looks like someone laid it down on a soldering iron. I'm fairly new to collecting and wondered if someone can help identify this model. Perhaps I can find a new cap for it.

Thanks

Steve

It's interesting that the area around the hole appears to be either raised or recessed. To answer your question I believe nothing fell off the cap, and if it's a demo then it's the weirdest I have seen, so I have no idea what it is.

Do you have celluloid gnawing insects in your area?

The capped length is 4 7/8.

Well sizes varied some so it's likely you have a "short" balance. Next and maybe more important is barrel diameter.

It's interesting that the area around the hole appears to be either raised or recessed. To answer your question I believe nothing fell off the cap, and if it's a demo then it's the weirdest I have seen, so I have no idea what it is.

It is recessed, beveled and perfectly symmetrical. Strange. Doesn't seem this was created by accident.

Steve

I believe your pen is an example of what collectors refer to simply as "bead band pens," manufactured by Sheaffer from roughly 1945-47 (8?). Off the cuff, I'd say yours is an Admiral (feather touch nib? triumph?), but I get tripped up by all the variations and model names – so could be mistaken. Here's an old (and confusing) thread from another board with more info on these pens:

http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/72-sheaffers-celluloid-bead-band-pens/

Edited by Estragon

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

I guess that hole is too big to have contained a white dot that subsequently fell out? Nah! couldn't be that, the clip is on the other side of the cap - never mind!!!!

Edited by pen lady

Well sizes varied some so it's likely you have a "short" balance. Next and maybe more important is barrel diameter.

The barrel diameter is 5/16 of an inch.

Thanks

Steve

The barrel diameter is 5/16 of an inch.

Thanks

Steve

Are you sure? Where are you measuring that?

That seems very slender so you are likely looking for a short slender Balance which had a price code of 350.

I believe your pen is an example of what collectors refer to simply as "bead band pens," manufactured by Sheaffer from roughly 1945-47 (8?). Off the cuff, I'd say yours is an Admiral (feather touch nib? triumph?), but I get tripped up by all the variations and model names – so could be mistaken. Here's an old (and confusing) thread from another board with more info on these pens:

http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/72-sheaffers-celluloid-bead-band-pens/

Thanks, I think you nailed it. Now all I have to find is another cap. Or maybe I'll just keep this one since it seems to be one of a kind:-))

Steve

Are you sure? Where are you measuring that?

That seems very slender so you are likely looking for a short slender Balance which had a price code of 350.

Measuring at what I think is the widest part of the barrel. It is rather slender.

Neat. They were not uniform in sizes and there also could be some shrinkage but it looks like a short slender Balance non-white dot model. Not all caps would interchange but at least that should point you in the right direction. Your best bet would be a show so if you are near one drop in.

Neat. They were not uniform in sizes and there also could be some shrinkage but it looks like a short slender Balance non-white dot model. Not all caps would interchange but at least that should point you in the right direction. Your best bet would be a show so if you are near one drop in.

Thanks for the help and advice. Looking forward to my first pen show.

Steve

Thanks for the help and advice. Looking forward to my first pen show.

Steve

Take the pen so that different caps can be tried to see if one will fit.

I think the celluloind gnawing insects have reached Islamabad too. I have a Parker vacumatic whose cap has a hole of the same shape and size.

Khan M. Ilyas