Japan Trip - The Haul (Warning: Long Read)

Penbeginner

Ever since we decided to visit Japan this past June, I had been planning the trip non-stopped. Not only was this our first visit to Japan, we were also visiting the stationery heaven.

This was going to be the trip for me to hit all the pen stores that I had read so much over the years at FPN.

One of the pens I longed for was Ohasido. Others were quite obtainable through the internet except Ohasido. Yes, there was Yahoo! Auction but nothing like getting your own new pen in person. I started looking into Ohasido a few years back and was definitely excited that we are actually visiting the country. Unfortunately, there was no way for me to fit Sendai in our schedule. Hitting the traveling fair was my second choice but possible.

I kept an eye on Ohasido’s Facebook page and had seen monthly pen fairs that they attended all over the country. Finally they posted their itinerary for June but they were going to be in Okinawa during my trip. It was just too out-of-the-way for me. My last hope was their July itinerary. I kept looking and hoping they post their July schedule before I left. No luck since they didn’t post any schedule for July when I left in June.

Although I didn’t have any luck with Ohasido, there was going to be a Nakaya pen fair at Itoya during my visit. The staffs from Nakaya would come on the weekend during my stay in Tokyo. This was going to make up for my miss for Ohasido. Boy, was I wrong, it turned out to be more like a dream came true.

All was planned and ready to fly. I was going to hit Itoya both G and K in Ginza, Eurobox, Pen Cluster, Tokyu Hands, Lemonsha, Maruzen. Another day I would visit Kingdom Note, Shosaikan, Kakimori. Would try also to visit Kawakubo and Sekeido. Later in the trip while in Osaka, would go to Nagasawa branch store in Umeda. It was going to be perfect.

For all those that endured the reading so far, I am sure you thought I was crazy and couldn’t possibly hit all those; well, you are right. We hit Kingdom Note on our first outing since we had to be in Shinjuku. It was easy enough to find, nowadays with Google map and my prior markings on the map of all these places. It was smaller than I thought but well organized. The staffs were not as attentive as I would imagine. Maybe it was the language barrier; maybe it was right as they opened. No matter, I was excited enough and bought their Sailor/Kingdom Note ink, Falco peregrinus. There weren’t many choices as most of them were sold out. I also bought a brand new Sailor 40th anniversary Hello Kitty FP. Yes, it was Hello Kitty but since it was at a very good price (it was 40% off the original price), I had no problem getting it despite my daughter making fun of me. The picture of the pen:

fpn_1468906010__20160718_171256_copy.jpg

fpn_1468906211__20160718_171327_copy.jpg

We then got back to Ginza, had lunch, and were ready to hit the other places. We first went to K.Itoya, where Nakaya was holding a special pen fair right before they increased their price. That day, none other than the soul of Nakaya, Mr. Shinichi Yoshida was present. Time slots were already booked up to meet with him. I browsed around and didn’t see any Nakaya that interest me or that I could afford. I was looking for a Negoro FP and had to ask. The salesperson went to ask and brought back a Negoro pen with a rolling stopper installed on it. I was hesitant due to the added expense of the rolling stopper. I handed the pen back to the salesperson and continued to browse. After some thought, the pen grew on me and with my “boss” permission, I took the pen. At that time, I was told by the salesperson that a slot opened up since someone who booked the slot didn’t answer the phone. I immediately jumped in and nervously sat down across Mr. Yoshida. As you know, Mr. Yoshida doesn’t speak any English. Fortunately, the salesperson was able to interpret well enough. Mr. Yoshida didn’t know I recently commissioned Nakaya to make a personal pen and it arrived just before my departure to Japan. I took out my phone and showed him the pictures. He immediately recognized the pen and even showed the pictures to his co-worker sitting next to him. While he was fitting my new Negoro with a soft fine nib, he told the salesperson to tell me that they only made 2 of these since it was too easy for the rolling stopper to peel the urushi layer off (that was what I understood he meant). The other was bought by someone earlier in the week and I bought the second one. I was in cloud nine as I bought a somewhat limited pen and got to meet Mr. Yoshida.

After the testing and full satisfaction on my part, I regrettably had to leave. I profusely thank Mr. Yoshida, bowing all the way to the stairs. He coolly returned with a nod but I could feel that he was happy with the encounter also.

We then went over to G.Itoya, where my daughter spent the rest of the day moving amount all the floors. I guessed my plan for the other stores was shot. Here is the pen I got:

fpn_1468906256__20160718_172133_copy.jpg

fpn_1468906270__20160718_172147_copy.jpg

fpn_1468906286__20160718_172219_copy.jpg

Now back to Ohasido; I was able to keep checking their FB page and saw that they finally put up their fair schedule for July. They were going to be at Osaka Abeno Kintetsu Department Store. Unfortunately we would be in Kyoto at that time and leaving after that. After some thought and discussion with my family, we rearranged our schedule and found time to go back to Osaka on the first day Ohasido set up shop at the department store.

The day came and we made it there. It took a little time but we found the location and Ohasido’s booth. One of Mr. Uehara’s apprentice was working the booth. He doesn’t speak a word of English and didn’t understand either. No matter, I used some app to translate as well as finger pointing. He was very patient with me as I was very excited to be able to buy an Ohasido in person after all these years. To cut the story short, here are the Ohasido’s I bought at the end. Unfortunately he only had 2 large nibs, a medium and a broad, and I took both for my new pens. Here they are:

fpn_1468906237__20160718_172057_copy.jpg

I am going to cut the story short here as I don’t want to bore anyone to death. My last pen related encounter was in Osaka at Nagasawa branch store inside a library. The place was small but very well stocked. I was browsing around, especially for their Kobe inks. I also looked at their store product and noticed a pen roll in a color that I hadn’t seen before. They usually had black and red but there was a 10 pens roll in grey with blue stitches, absolutely gorgeous. As those of you who had the pleasure to handle one of their pen rolls, you knew how soft the leather was. I of course bought it and the saleslady told me that it was their limited edition and that was their last piece. I then asked about their Kobe ink and she sadly told me that customers were only allowed to buy 2 inks. Yes, you heard me, only 2 and not 2 of each but 2 total. I regrettably bought 2, Kobe Ink #6, wine color and #52, brown color.

fpn_1468906224__20160718_171823_copy.jpg

Now that I am back, still jet-lagged but couldn’t believe my luck and haul. Again thanks for reading and I envy those who lives in Japan. I will be back.

Lee

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penbeginner

• rudyhou

• mongrelnomad

• da vinci

Great write up thanks for sharing :)

Love the green Ohasido - can you put up a nob shot?

Yeah, the gold band on the shaft can move to change the weight distribution as desire. Here is the nib shot:

fpn_1468942563__20160719_082749_copy.jpgfpn_1468942663__20160719_082805_copy.jpgfpn_1468942686__20160719_082817_copy.jpg

Fascinating read, and congratulations on your treasure hunt.

Thank you mchenart. I enjoyed reading your Japan travel posts also.

Lee

Yeah, the gold band on the shaft can move to change the weight distribution as desire. Here is the nib shot:

fpn_1468942563__20160719_082749_copy.jpgfpn_1468942663__20160719_082805_copy.jpgfpn_1468942686__20160719_082817_copy.jpg

Great pen and love that nib. Apologies for the typo :)

wonderful trip! how much was the hello kitty FP????

I paid 27,200 yen for it. Original price was 50,000 yen.

What a lovely report--thank you for sharing!

I own a (less expensive) Nakaya and love it to pieces, but is it bad that I am most charmed by the Hello Kitty pen? :)

Edited by requiescat

What a lovely report--thank you for sharing!

I own a (less expensive) Nakaya and love it to pieces, but is it bad that I am most charmed by the Hello Kitty pen? :)

I don't think it is bad, the Hello Kitty pen is no cheap plastic, it has some weight to it and is quite well constructed. After all, it is Sailor's 40th anniversary pen.

Thanks for sharing....wonderful read. Your pens are beautiful....though the hello kitty pen was a sweet grab. Very jealous of the nib with bow

I don't think it is bad, the Hello Kitty pen is no cheap plastic, it has some weight to it and is quite well constructed. After all, it is Sailor's 40th anniversary pen.

no it's Sailor's pen commemorating 40th years of the cat... in question it comes in Pro gear or KoP form... I'm not sure where else its available other than Sanrio parks Edited by Algester

I paid 27,200 yen for it. Original price was 50,000 yen.

HOLY (bleep)!!!!! well.... what to do... wonder if able to find anymore..

AGREED! my wife would kill to get one of these!!!

no it's Sailor's pen commemorating 40th years of the cat... in question it comes in Pro gear or KoP form... I'm not sure where else its available other than Sanrio parks

Thanks Algester for the correction, yes it is the Hello Kitty 40th anniversary fountain pen made by Sailor to be correct.

Great read and haul! But why are you jealous of those who live in Japan? You were able to do more in your trip here than I have been able to in the fours years I have been into FPs, I've been in Japan for the last twenty years. Osaka and Kobe are too far and expensive for a weekend jaunt and if we travel on vacation it is to none pen related locales.

I envy you.

Beautiful haul, and a great write-up. Itoya K is a very, very, (very) dangerous place on a normal day!

About Ohasido - where did you get the info about their fairs? I've long wanted one, but never seemed to be around Tokyo at the right time. I always had the concierge at the Tekoku check on my arrival, and they'd always reply with that soft, silent smile that signals bad news...

Too many pens; too little writing.