Best Place To Shop For Fps In Japan (Tokyo/osaka)

hchng2

Dear All

this is my first post in FPN. I am very new to FPS but the passion of owning and writing with FPS started when i was 7. I could still remember watching my granny writing in FPS.

I am from Malaysia and there are only a few places in Kuala Lumpur to source for FPS.

I am planning a vacation to JP and I was wondering if there are any nice place to source for FPS. Plus, I noticed the price in JP is cheaper compare to MALAYSIA.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I am currently owning:

Sailor PROCOLOR 500

Platinum #3776 F

Platinum #3776 14K M

KAWECO Sport M

LAMY SAFARI F
TWSBI ECO F

FABER CASTELL LOOM

And a bunch of disposable PLATINUM Preppy (EF x 4/F x7/M x3)

:)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hchng2

• Algester

• Tinjapan

• mongrelnomad

Tokyo Osaka would be the usual stuff really few and far in between but I have no idea what you would aim for or your budgetMorita's place in Osaka has good deals,

Sekaido if your in luck in Tokyo there are other stores but... kind of lazy to dig around... or you can dig up the forums either way this is one of the most frequently asked questions

Hello and welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

Thanks alot!

Tokyo Osaka would be the usual stuff really few and far in between but I have no idea what you would aim for or your budgetMorita's place in Osaka has good deals,

Sekaido if your in luck in Tokyo there are other stores but... kind of lazy to dig around... or you can dig up the forums either way this is one of the most frequently asked questions

i m trying to source for sailor imperial black... :)

as we say if your in a hurry it won't be cheap but Ito-ya has always been recommended

I am planning a 7 day trip there. now my list has just got longer and longer. my only concern is the inks as i am afraid of checking into baggages but i will not be able to put it on my carry on as well. the only feasible option is to FEDEX it back to my home country!

Did some research on FPN and found out that the sailor nibs are pretty awesome compared to Platinum nibs. (As i am still very new to FPs) my majority pens are still from Platinum due to the lower pricing compared to Sailor (the price over here are crazy - you would not believe that i've paid close to a 100USD for a steel Platinum #3776....

then I will suggest spare 1 day free time and drop to K Ito-ya test out the pens then decide

and 1 day for the search as THERE ARE A LOT OF SHOPS IN TOKYO! so much I got lazy... I have another thread about stationery shops in Tokyo should be a good resource enough if you dig about

Edited by Algester

A couple of years ago a posted a list of many of the stores in Tokyo, mostly a compilation of lists found elsewhere. Not sure exactly where but it shouldn't be too hard to find...unless your searching skills are as poor as mine.

I can give some updated information. I was in Yodabashi Camera in Shinjuku yesterday. Their pen section now includes a large display of Lamy pens.

Also, chrck into the current shipping restrictions for liquids in glass. A little while ago, Singapore suddenly changed their policy and it is no longer allowed to ship ink in bottles by any method, including FedEx.

Several FPNers have made recent trips to Japan such you are planning. Maybe some will see this post and tell us how they got their ink home.

Edited by Tinjapan

I am planning a 7 day trip there. now my list has just got longer and longer. my only concern is the inks as i am afraid of checking into baggages but i will not be able to put it on my carry on as well. the only feasible option is to FEDEX it back to my home country!

Did some research on FPN and found out that the sailor nibs are pretty awesome compared to Platinum nibs. (As i am still very new to FPs) my majority pens are still from Platinum due to the lower pricing compared to Sailor (the price over here are crazy - you would not believe that i've paid close to a 100USD for a steel Platinum #3776....

Hi hchng2,

There shouldn't be any problem packing inks in luggage. I just came back from Japan. I bought 3 bottles of inks and put them in zip lock bags. They were packed amount clothing and made it with any leak at all. I think the key maybe not opening the ink until home so that the seal hasn't been broken yet. Either way, they should travel fine in your luggage.

Lee

A couple of years ago a posted a list of many of the stores in Tokyo, mostly a compilation of lists found elsewhere. Not sure exactly where but it shouldn't be too hard to find...unless your searching skills are as poor as mine.

I can give some updated information. I was in Yodabashi Camera in Shinjuku yesterday. Their pen section now includes a large display of Lamy pens.

Also, chrck into the current shipping restrictions for liquids in glass. A little while ago, Singapore suddenly changed their policy and it is no longer allowed to ship ink in bottles by any method, including FedEx.

Several FPNers have made recent trips to Japan such you are planning. Maybe some will see this post and tell us how they got their ink home.

Thanks a lot for the info. I am trying to narrow down to a couple shops and spend at least 2 1/2 days for this "mission".

Hi hchng2,

There shouldn't be any problem packing inks in luggage. I just came back from Japan. I bought 3 bottles of inks and put them in zip lock bags. They were packed amount clothing and made it with any leak at all. I think the key maybe not opening the ink until home so that the seal hasn't been broken yet. Either way, they should travel fine in your luggage.

Lee

Ink is one of the problem... i m looking at bringing back at least 8 to 10 bottles :(

Don't worry about the ink. You won't be able to get any :lticaptd:

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Sadly, probably more true than not.

Sadly, probably more true than not.

awwww... why is that? please enlighten me??

i have a couple bottles of Sailor Storia, Pelikan Edelstein and the nano black from sailor currently in my inventory (few more bottles of Platinum as wel)

BTW, i just got the Platinum 3776 Century SF... i can only say the nib is.... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Everywhere has a limit of how much ink you can buy. If you plan ahead, you may be able to have more than one member of your family buy the limit, usually only one bottle per color and also a limit on the total, but they still might just plain be out. I am on KN's mailing list yet can not got more than the one color of their newest series. Was down there yesterday but they wereall out of the two newesr series but did have a small amount of some of their earlier colors.

Everyone has gone nuts over Sailor inks and there are hard to get a hold of

Everywhere has a limit of how much ink you can buy. If you plan ahead, you may be able to have more than one member of your family buy the limit, usually only one bottle per color and also a limit on the total, but they still might just plain be out. I am on KN's mailing list yet can not got more than the one color of their newest series. Was down there yesterday but they wereall out of the two newesr series but did have a small amount of some of their earlier colors.

I did a tour of all the shops in Tokyo and nobody had a single bottle of ink. Except Maruzen (I purchased the very last bottle of Athena Sepia, and that's not even limited)!

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

I did a tour of all the shops in Tokyo and nobody had a single bottle of ink. Except Maruzen (I purchased the very last bottle of Athena Sepia, and that's not even limited)!

i have not came across any special inks or anything like that but if i come across any i would be very much love to get my hands on whatever i can get there... i've heard that there's a store called the ink stand next to a customised memo pad store and i guess the would be a good place to hunt for inks perhaps??

ink is hard... though last time I visited Itoya Iroshizukus were plenty... just dont count on the thread on my signature link your better hoping to the gods there's still some left behind

algester thanks for the sharing. I've learned a lot from you!

there are some Tsutaya's that have pen sections. Some are larger than others. Also, there are a few Lofts that sell pens too. Depends on the locations tho, some have pen sections, some dont

there are some Tsutaya's that have pen sections. Some are larger than others. Also, there are a few Lofts that sell pens too. Depends on the locations tho, some have pen sections, some dont

CT315 - thanks for the info. will try to source for more information from the internet.