Waterman Phileas Marble Fountain Pen

Magickalspectre

The aforementioned pen (in blue) was given to me on my twelfth Christmas. As I am a lover of all things inky and written and the pen itself is an absolute dream, I have kept it in great working order thoroughout the years. Recently, however, my health has become a major issue and has led to carpal tunnel syndrome which, much to my dismay and extreme sorrow, resulted in me dropping my Waterman, nib first, onto my tile-covered concrete floor. It still writes, thank all the powers that be!, but the ink flow has changed drastically as the tines have become bent and misaligned. I cannot afford much - I am a single mother of very limited means - but this pen means the world to me and I am desperate to see it repaired or have the nib replaced or, if need be, to obtain a new pen of this make and model.

I need help. I've spent many hours researching this pen, and I cannot find a single solution that isn't WAY out of my price range.

Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Totus Tuus,

Amanda

*Totus Tuus*

"Everything's okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end!"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magickalspectre

• pajaro

• Left FPN

• estie1948

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the FPN.

I am sorry to hear of your problems.

The nib is steel and once bent difficult to re-work back to it's original shape. Phileas pens are no longer in production. I know of one FPN member who purchased a new section (nib, grip and feed assembly) from Waterman in the USA so hopefully he will read this topic and comment or contact you directly. I myself contacted Waterman in the UK who informed me no spare parts are available now.

Phileas pens have been selling at very high prices on ebay so the chances of buying a replacement part there are few.

There may be someone more local to you who can pop the nib out of the grip and attempt a repair but that sort of work is not cheap. Had you been in the UK i would have offered to try for nowt but alas there is a big stretch of water between us.

First of all, Amanda, I am very sorry for your misfortunes. However, you do not need to despair concerning your fountain pen. I don't know how badly misaligned the tines of the nib of your pen are, of course, but I believe there is a relatively easy solution to your problems.

If you have a ten-power lens to magnify the nib, you can align the tines yourself. Don't go all superwoman on it. Just gently bend the tines with your fingers until they are properly aligned. Once this is done, if the pen doesn't write as well as it did prior to its high dive to the floor, check to see that the nib is fitting properly over the feed - the nib not touching the feed nor too big a gap between the nib and the feed. This problem can also be corrected by just the use of your fingers. If the nib is squashed against the feed, gently pry it up a bit. If there is a gap between the nib and the feed, gently mash it down a bit. I know these are very precise directions: "a bit", "too big a gap" and such and I am sorry about that.

Someone will probably be along soon to give you more precise and definite directions, but if not, you will have an idea of how to proceed. These are only the most likely and easiest remedied of causes for the pen's problems. I hope I have provided you with some help. If none of this is helpful and no one gives you better help, please let me know. I am certain that, one way or another, we will be able to get, at least the your pen problems, solved.

-David (Estie).

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I have a Phileas with some issues. The nib is a medium, and will write. Nice and smooth. I can send you the nib and feed if you want it. You can just pull the nib and feed out of your pen, because it is friction fit. Then you could push in a replacement nib and feed. When I have done this with a Phileas I have used one of the rubber bottle-opening pads to hold the nib and feed, both pulling out and pushing in. It is fairly simple, but probably a little scary if you haven't done it before.

PM me if you want the medium nib and feed, and I'll send it to you.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses thus far. pajaro has been kind enough to help me with a replacement nib and feed. *fingers, toes, eyes, and assorted appendages crossed*

I will post an update once I have the parts. Wish me luck, everyone!

*Totus Tuus*

Well, I got the replacement parts from pajaro and I am in inky heaven! The medium nib writes like a dream. No holds barred inkstacy!!!

My Waterman is a happy pen again and I am overjoyed.

Bless you, pajaro, and thank you everyone for your helpful words!!!

Cheers.

*Totus Tuus*