Just Ordered My First Lamy

HoosierGeek

I'm fairly new to fountain pens - I have a couple of Pilot Metropolitans and a Waterman Kulture. I ordered a Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands that hasn't yet arrived. I was going to get a TWSBI next...but that Dark Lilac Safari just wouldn't get out of my head.

I'm not kidding. I actually dreamed about it last night. I'm not a fan of purple normally, but something about that pen with the black trim is just stunning.

So today I ordered one in a fine nib, a converter, and Diamine Bilberry (I've been drooling over that ink for awhile) to fill it with. Stalking my mail carrier until it arrives...

So coming from a Pilot Metropolitan F and M nib, and a Waterman Kulture F, what can I expect from my first experience with the iconic Lamy Safari?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HoosierGeek

• pen10

• darazs

• croccanova

Amazing! You'll love the pen when it arrives, and it really is a lovely color. IF you like the Diamine Bilberry, you might also like the KWZ Gummiberry (the non-Iron Gall version). I have both the IG and the non-IG versions, and the non-IG version is a lovely shade of deep lilac.

HoosierGeek, I was like you. I tried someone's Safari early on and didn't think I could get used to the grip. Then someone gave me one of the Jinhao 599 knockoffs, and I was thinking, okay, maybe I *can* get used to a real Safari after all....

And then... they came out with the purple ones. And I was absolutely done for. Not sure I'd want another one, per se, because I really love my vintage pens. But, there are a few of the older colors of Safaris, that -- assuming the price wasn't completely crazy because of the pens being LE (or discontinued) colors -- that *might* tempt me.

I got talking to the guy from the Crazy Alan's table at the Triangle Pen Show last month -- he told me he thought that the Dark Lilac Safari might just be the fastest selling pen *ever*. (If you can get your hands on the Dark Lilac ink, do so before it's gone -- it's a gorgeous color and pretty well behaved).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: I also like my Metropolitan. The Safari will have a very different feel to it -- it's a longer pen (especially when posted) but is lighter because it's plastic, not metal. I have an F nib on the Safari, but an M on the Metropolitan because when I tried an F nibbed pen, I thought it scratchy). The Safari writes with wider line than I expected -- really more like a M. Hope this helps.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

So coming from a Pilot Metropolitan F and M nib, and a Waterman Kulture F, what can I expect from my first experience with the iconic Lamy Safari?

Big fan of Metros & Lamy... but to be honest, I don't find them particularly exciting...? :P I mean they're nicely designed, well made, handle well and get the job done efficiently... so they're (to me) equivalent of a Toyota Corolla & BMW 3-series - Pour petrol in the hole whenever necessary otherwise just turn the key & drive. And that's why I like them! :D

IMHO of late German quality control getting a bit slack too, haven't yet found a Dark Lilac Safari moulded well enough I'd be happy to give a home to... they've all got the dreaded (worn out) mould line in varying seriousness from noticeable to very annoying.

In the meanwhile have just acquired a Black Purple Al-Star to fill with Dark Lilac... strangely the ink seems a better colour match to the anodised aluminium than to the Safari shade of aubergine, is it just my eyes or what...?

I'm sharing your excitement, HoosierGeek, as I've just ordered a Dark Lilac Safari myself (M nib). I'm not new to the Safari though, and I find it to be an excellent pen. :thumbup:

I have a couple of LAMY Safari pens. I like the way they function. There are several different nibs for this pen, that are easily switched. You are likely to replace the converter every eight-ten years. Otherwise, the pen should last two, or more, lifetimes.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I got my email from Goulet Pens that my Lamy is on the way. I considered the Dark Lilac ink, but from samples I've seen I just think I'll like the Bilberry better. I might need to verify that with a sample at some point though.

I have been using lilac safari pen and believe me it is great. the Lilac ink is cherry on the cake.

Edited by pen10

I personally love the grip and wish more pens had a similar configuration. I just with the extra fine nib was a bit finer...

Got three (!!) Safary in yellow, lemon and green with F, M, and B nib delivered today. Inked and tested.

First impression: fun, smooth nibs, nice colors... And I could convert to that B for some stuff.

It was well worth the investment, so now thinking of EF and a stub for good measures :)

(well delivery in Germany does help with the price ;) )

I hope that you are also having fun with yours :D

Edited by darazs

• 4 weeks later...

My first Safari -- my first Lamy, actually -- is on its way. I've wanted to try a Safari for a while but couldn't quite talk myself into another pen right now. Then I found myself in need of an EF, and when I entered that in the Amazon search engine, the dark lilac Safari came up. That was the end of that. I could not not order that pen.

• 1 month later...

Amazing i always love nice fountain pen which is comfortable for writing . I have some fountain pens there are several different nibs for this pen, that are easily switched.

I've found that I much prefer the Lamy grip and nib smoothness over the Pilot Metros. Both great but, for me, the Lamy wins it. I currently have a Lamy Vista with a medium and 1.1 nib and a 2000.

It has been two months since I originally posted this, and I am still enjoying my Safari. My husband liked my Safari so much he get a charcoal one in EF. Then we were jealous of each other's nibs and swapped them.

My Safari, now with an EF nib, is currently inked with Noodler's Blue-Black. It doesn't match the pen but I like that ink in an EF. Currently it is my only non TWSBI inked pen. I'm still enjoying it, and my daughter has put a Lamy Vista on her Christmas list (she likes the demonstrators, stole my clear Kultur to use for school work).

I've recently been intrigued with the Lamy 2000 - it may have to be my next pen. :)

Edited by HoosierGeek

I don't know why, but there is just something special about the Dark Lilac pen. I love it, I put Charged Green in it since it is my new favourite ink.

Broke