Office Christmas Gifts -- Help Me Pick The Pens.

CaliforniaJed

So every year I buy a Christmas gift for each person on my team -- about 15 folks, and I spend around $25 on each gift. For the past two years, I have bought everyone a gift card to a really great espresso bar near our office. I am thinking this year, though, I might buy everyone a fountain pen in this price range. Obvious choice is a Lamy Safari, and I may end up going that route, but I would love alternative suggestions. (Note: I want whatever pen I choose to be relatively easy to own and write with, but it would be great to find something unique/colorful/interesting.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaliforniaJed

• ac12

• sharonspens

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion the Safari looks like a dog's chew toy or a toddler's marker.. I would instead personally go for the pilot Metropolitan in various colors and include a pack of cartridges. Again in my opinion the Metropolitan is far more classy and traditional and might be appealing to more folks

+1 on the Pilot Metro.

The Lamy Safari, while a good pen, looks like a school pen because of the plastic construction.

In comparison, the Metro looks like an office pen.

But then maybe the personality of your group would match the Safari.

I would NOT get the TWSBI Eco. Good pen, but then you force them to ink from a bottle, and that might be a deal breaker for some people.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The Ohto Dude looks like a nice pen :)

I may have to get one for myself.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I don't much like the Metropolitan, finding it uncomfortable to hold with that step between the barrel and section. On the other hand, a lot of people do seem to like it, it comes with a converter, and at that price you could probably throw in a bottle of ink and still come in around $25.

There are the plastic versions of the Kaweco Sport, but they are already at $25 before you buy a converter for them, or even the pocket clip.

Ohto has some pens in that range. The Rook is a neat little pen. Standard international cartridges only, no converter available, not suitable for eyedroppering.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Faber-Castell Loom is an option. Comes in many different colours, so you can personalise the gift. Takes standard international cartridges/converters.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

As much as I love fountain pens I'd stick with Espresso.

LOL Thanks for the honest feedback! :-)

As much as I love fountain pens I'd stick with Espresso.

+1.

Infect those that show interest on a case by case basis -- stick to the coffee for the annual gift. Or do a different gift card of some sort if you want to change it up.

For that many people, especially if they have not generally shown interest in FPs, I would be more prone to consider a BP or RB. I'd choose something inexpensive enough that you could also provide a refill (i.e., a big hint that this is NOT a throwaway pen!). Go with a variety of colors if possible, so they can distinguish their pens from each other. I find folks are more likely to use such a pen, even if on a periodic basis.

Then, as others have noted, I would work on infecting the group by some insidious method, like leaving Zebras or Preppys out for common usage.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Jinhao X450 with a package of ink cartridges...well behaved pen...comes in large variety of colors...comes with a convertor. Carried by several US retailers including Goulet and Vanness. Anyone who doesn't like it can regift it at "graduation time". Just a thought. ;)

Thanks again for all the comments. I am surprised, though, that you all are clearly not as subversive as I am! :-) Many of you seem way to considerate of co-workers not wanting to try FPs! ;-)

Anyone who doesn't like it can regift it at "graduation time". Just a thought. ;)

I like the way you think. :-)

Thanks again for all the comments. I am surprised, though, that you all are clearly not as subversive as I am! :-) Many of you seem way to considerate of co-workers not wanting to try FPs! ;-)

Perhaps for those who have shown interest in fp's give a fp. For the others, a rollerball.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

If you have the time to put alittle thought into it, you could mix up the pens. Maybe one person gets a twsbi Eco. Maybe someone gets a Schrade tactical fountain pen.maybe sone one who isn't that big into pens, gets a platinum preppy with a bottle of some nice ink. Could even be Mont Blanc ink. Another idea would be to get every one a pilot metro and a bottle of Noodlers ink.

So every year I buy a Christmas gift for each person on my team -- about 15 folks, and I spend around $25 on each gift. For the past two years, I have bought everyone a gift card to a really great espresso bar near our office. I am thinking this year, though, I might buy everyone a fountain pen in this price range. Obvious choice is a Lamy Safari, and I may end up going that route, but I would love alternative suggestions. (Note: I want whatever pen I choose to be relatively easy to own and write with, but it would be great to find something unique/colorful/interesting.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Hi CJ! Nice to read from you here!
Wish I had at least one coworker like you. :D
Best!
Marcelo

My response is based on having given two Sheaffers, along with ink and very detailed written instructions on how to use/clean them, to two colleagues as a thank-you for all of their work. I would not be surprised if neither pen has come out of the box (they live in different states from me, so i will never know). I would like the pens to get used, so I don't give FPs unless I have already infected the recipient or I know he/she already uses them. I would prefer the gift be used and not stored away.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

The new Parker jotter ball point are very nice. I got one. They're metal rather than plastic, which means they are more durable and there's a nice range of colours. OK, they're not FPs, but they do look good - a nd fine stationery is fine stationery.

If you want to go down the FP route, then I agree that the safari looks a bit too much like a school pen. I note that you can get a Cross Classic Century Chrome, with steel nib for $19 at Amazon USA and there's a Pilot Prera and Pilot Cavalier (not heard of that one before) that also come below $20.