London Writing Equipment Show 2016

pollandakuma

This will be my third consecutive year and, as (cash) everyone has mentioned so far, is a lovely (cash) day out for pen & ink fans. (Cash).

The room is warm and very busy (cash). Even a small rucksack will impede your progress around the (cash) many Alladin's cavesque tables.

Don't be shy, try and muster up the courage to talk to as many (cash) people as you dare as it's probably the only chance you'll get to be in a room (cash) with so many people who can sympathise with your pen related obsession. (Cash)

Oh. You'll need cash. :)

See you there.

*Apologies to the late, great Spike Milligan.

£_£ I wonder if there is a hobby for wallets too

By the way, I was rather shocked at those Milligan videos.

Edited by pollandakuma

Broke

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pollandakuma

• Tas

• da vinci

• Inkwellpens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

£_£ I wonder if there is a hobby for wallets too

By the way, I was rather shocked at those Milligan videos.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/spike_milligan_spaghetti.jpg

http://www.taskyprianou.com/spike_milligan_spaghetti.jpg

Haha, nice reference!!

Broke

I used to play a MMO game with a good bunch of guys, one of whom was a US army screen operator on a number of secretive planes used in secretive places. He could not say where he was based, however the the US army provided internet connection (at his base/accommodation) was never secured so on Team Speak it would always say where he was playing from ... doh

I used to play a MMO game with a good bunch of guys, one of whom was a US army screen operator on a number of secretive planes used in secretive places. He could not say where he was based, however the the US army provided internet connection (at his base/accommodation) was never secured so on Team Speak it would always say where he was playing from ... doh

What

Broke

Ah, I guess this places a cap on the amount I can spend to about less than two hundred. Even if I really want that Conid or that MB 13x or that YOL, I guess maybe next time... :( I can't and don't feel safe lugging about more than a hundred pounds, and I doubt my parents would allow that to happen either haha

Except it doesn't entirely as there are cash machines within easy and safe walking distance .... Your spending can be enabled!

The show is friendly and I've always found lovely pens, ink and/or cases to come home with :)

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

A trip across the pond would be great for a London show of real value. But am if I reading this right that the show begins on a Saturday,October 2nd at 10:30 and is over at 4:30 PM. Seems hard to justify a transatlantic flight with a hotel room/ancillary expenses for this very short period of time. It seems the show is large too and so why not more days for buyers and sellers to interact?

I think I am missing some information. Is this show really a low key affair meant only for locals?

Cheers, Phil

Atlanta, Georiga

Hi,

A trip across the pond would be great for a London show of real value. But am if I reading this right that the show begins on a Saturday,October 2nd at 10:30 and is over at 4:30 PM. Seems hard to justify a transatlantic flight with a hotel room/ancillary expenses for this very short period of time. It seems the show is large too and so why not more days for buyers and sellers to interact?

I think I am missing some information. Is this show really a low key affair meant only for locals?

Cheers, Phil

Atlanta, Georiga

The show is for Sunday October 2nd and attracts international vendors and buyers, it is always busy and very enjoyable. I wouldnt describe the event as low key and there are a good number of people who come to the show and tag on a few days in London for all that is has to offer.

Not sure that a show spread over a few days would work for most UK based people.

Hope that you can make it.

Ken

The show is for Sunday October 2nd and attracts international vendors and buyers, it is always busy and very enjoyable. I wouldnt describe the event as low key and there are a good number of people who come to the show and tag on a few days in London for all that is has to offer.

Not sure that a show spread over a few days would work for most UK based people.

Hope that you can make it.

Ken

Thank you Ken.

Looking forward to the show.

Edited by Parkette

I was at the show last year - my first and to date only show. I enjoyed it a lot: there was a good mix of people to speak with and things to look at. I'm going to go again this year, if I possibly can. For me, it was quite intense: I can't imagine a two-day show - and with London prices as they are, I imagine it would be unaffordable.

I have one piece of advice that has not yet been made in this thread: take a loupe, ideally with a built-in LED, and use it to carefully inspect whatever you're thinking of buying. One of the purchases I made last year had a flaw that I didn't notice when I bought it, but which would have been evident under a loupe (if I had only taken one with me). I would probably have bought it anyway, but it was an unpleasant surprise later.

Also, I second the sage advice of others; two points in particular.

Cash. this is excellent for the show-goer - you has a budget and you sticks to it. And you makes life easier for those vendors what prefers cash.

Yes, you can go to the cash dispenser a few minutes' walk away if you're a bit short, but a) you can budget that extra cash for unplanned finds, b ) there is a limit to how much cash you can take out in a day, and c) the walk to the machine can act as a good moment to cool down, if that sort of thing is useful to you.

Luggage. I would recommend taking nothing larger than a slim shoulder-bag.

I went last year with a fairly small rucksack. It was just too big: I found myself knocking into people whenever I turned anywhere. I won't repeat that mistake.

Edited to get rid of the auto-formatting that turns a grammatically-correct "b )" into an emoticon.

Edited by stephanos

• 2 weeks later...

How much should I be prepared to pay for nib works?

I'm happy to hear that overseas people are coming. It is not easy to go tia pen show in DC xD

To give you an idea. Hepworth Dixon of Ipswich reground the oblique nib on my Montblanc back to a standard round nib and serviced the piston mechanism all for £50. Given the value of the pen and the cost of a new nib I consider this excellent value, especially as the work was done to an extrememly high standard.

To give you an idea. Hepworth Dixon of Ipswich reground the oblique nib on my Montblanc back to a standard round nib and serviced the piston mechanism all for £50. Given the value of the pen and the cost of a new nib I consider this excellent value, especially as the work was done to an extrememly high standard.

Useful to know thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I am very much looking forward to this, that will also be my first show ever! Thanks for all the useful tidbits and hope to see you all soon!

Fountain pen novice. I am aquiring pens at a frightening pace, I am afraid it might be an addiction... I see I am not alone here on FPN! Latest acquisitions - Platinum 3776 Kumpoo with Diamine Eau de Nil, Opus 88 Koloro inked with Diamine November Rain, Franklin-Christoph Model Pocket 66 prototype inked with Franklin-Christoph Honeycomb.

Oh my . . .

I'm delighted to have just heard that KWZ will have a table there showcasing their fabulous inks. :wub:

Woo hoo !!

Heads off to Ink Reviews forum .....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Most of us will be looking for pens and perhaps inks, but it's also worth thinking of the little extras you need;

* there's usually someone selling ink sacs for repairing vintage pens,

* you may need converters for some pens,

* there are usually some 'parts pen' and 'cheapies' boxes which can be fun if you are into repairs or Frankenpen making.

I would also add one bit of advice. Get a postcard and write on it your top priorities for the show. For instance, mine from a previous pen show:

* get a very bent Waterman nib repaired,

* look at Danitrios,

* look for parts pens,

* look at Bexley Poseidon Magnum,

* get better acquainted with vintage Pelikans,

* buy some new inks.

If you have a postcard, unless you have very small writing and a Platinum UEF nib, you cannot write too much on it!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Good news that a new ink vendor will be there. I enjoy the show, but do think that pen accessories like pads, notebooks and ink are not well represented.

I am also looking forward to seeing Sarj, Ray, Henry Simpole and Francis/CONID at the show (that's my postcard done ;) )

Most of us will be looking for pens and perhaps inks, but it's also worth thinking of the little extras you need.

I would also add one bit of advice. Get a postcard and write on it your top priorities for the show. For instance, mine from a previous pen show:

Exactly, amk!

Actually, I have a (small!) two-sided page for this: One side is my "see-in-person" list for specific pens or inks (e.g. Conid Caiso), and the other is a "parts" list for specific items to look out for (e.g. something to use as a bulb for an old bulb-filler).

Edited to add: I am also very pleased that KWZI will be there. I bought a few inks directly from him a couple of years ago and am interested in seeing what's available now, and (perhaps) meeting Konrad in person...

Edited by stephanos

Looking forward to meeting everyone here next week. If you see me please say Hi.

Can't wait 😀

www.thepenandinkwell.com @ inkwellpens