Nos Uninked Waterman Dark Blue Navy 515?

EffyA

I believe this is a waterman 515 made in England with a nib that states waterman's 14c England 5. The only thing is that the barrel doesn't list the number 515, so not certain if this is a 515 although it looks exactly like one and the cap is just a bit inward bit doesn't seem sunk in or defective rather being a bit protruding. Any responses are greatly appreciated

post-128776-0-72230900-1468470121_thumb.jpg

post-128776-0-32477100-1468470156_thumb.jpg

post-128776-0-74755900-1468470328_thumb.jpg

post-128776-0-77279100-1468470365_thumb.jpg

post-128776-0-29339000-1468470433_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EffyA

• Left FPN

• RMN

• drop_m

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Possibly and most probably because it has the #5 nib. I think it may be missing the top jewel.

Most 515's have that single broad cap band. The W5 has, in the main, three bands, two narrow either side of one medium.

Hello Force, thank you for responding and lovely picture of the gorgeous cat. I assumed the same, but checked the cap really well and doesn't seem anything is missing or detached, I thought the cap looks similar to my w5 except the band(s), I decided to check online and did see several 515 caps pop up very similar to mine, although not common- wonder maybe due to certain factory product time era or location hmmm? Very perplexing I'll say, but aside from that and the missing 515 number label, still could be the 515?

Edited by EffyA

I have a (battered) 515 that DOES state the number on the barrel inscription.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hello Force, thank you for responding and lovely picture of the gorgeous cat. I assumed the same, but checked the cap really well and doesn't seem anything is missing or detached, I thought the cap looks similar to my w5 except the band(s), I decided to check online and did see several 515 caps pop up very similar to mine, although not common- wonder maybe due to certain factory product time era or location hmmm? Very perplexing I'll say, but aside from that and the missing 515 number label, still could be the 515?

I still think the top of the cap does not look right. Does the top of the clip have a recess in it.

For info

A slight one, but I don't think something came off but maybe sunk in a bit- it is like the w5 I've seen though and I notice they have similar caps except the bands?

The seller stated this: CONDITION; Mint, unused and un-inked new old stock. Purchased at the auction of old stock that had been in storage from a stationary shop that closed down over half a century ago. The perished ink sac has been professionally replaced so it is ready to be used is desired.

I noticed even the clips vary across 515 models and the w5 (except the bands of course), also even interesting, there have been several 515 with different cap tops and the barrel may either have 515 hand or paint printed (not so common too) rather inscribed imprinted on the barrel depending factory or era, which can cause the former to fade leaving only the maker or brand and country originated or made from, this is also what the seller told me too. Very interesting. It is always a learning process with vintage fountain pens, although I can't ascertain it is a definite 515, I can assume with a high probability it may be. Too bad not inked as I wanted to try the beautiful fountain pen's nib!! But my collector side says no! Of course I'll leave it nos and uninked, sigh. :/

post-128776-0-89217600-1468561329_thumb.jpeg

Edited by EffyA

May I ask again, if it is the case of the top jewel perhaps either sunk in or missing something, could this be fixed? I could find a cap replacement, but this cap and the clip looks exquisite with virtually little to none plating loss as well as the band that looks immaculate as well. Thank you

I've read somewhere that sometimes you can find strangenesses on the english watermans of the period of your pen.
I've a 515 with the same aspect and same cap of your pen, apart the top part that is more hight (first two photos)
But. I've also an english waterman's with no number on the barrel (like yours), two fine cap bands and the same "clip installation" of your pen. (last photo)
Sorry for the photo quality, by the way, i'm on cell

post-127243-0-38092000-1468672432_thumb.jpg

post-127243-0-72693700-1468672442_thumb.jpg

post-127243-0-43202200-1468672449_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the elevated position was for a military clip?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Perhaps so, but it is facinating all together! I think the common theme of a 515 would be the nib and the band, colors, as well as origin made in.. and this seem to apply to other models as well as I often see this like when deciding stalwarts or starlets and so on. I love collecting vintage fountain pens because of this as well as their beauty, I wish and hope many future generations will too. I agree I also found how the 515 can vary as I found some with my type of clip and top, but I'll leave it alone as suggested by Force. I don't think it really deters from its beauty and value, I paid around 80 USD, I think it was a great deal for its wonderful condition. Oh here are some pics I found that showed differences except being the same in single wide band and an unsual clip top I don't see often. Again facinating!

post-128776-0-82332400-1468685981_thumb.jpeg

post-128776-0-04980700-1468686022_thumb.jpeg

Edited by EffyA