6X8Ish Graph Or Unlined Compact Notebook

Poetman

I'm hope you more experienced journal/notebook users can help me. I'm looking to pickup a notebook with the following criteria:

- around 6 3/4x 8 1/2

-black or similar reserved solid color

-graph or unlined pages

-around 100 pages

Clairefontaine used to make something like this--almost exactly--but I cannot find it anymore.

Miquelrius also made something comparable but is no longer available via their website. Moleskine makes something close with their cahier notebooks (5 x 8 1/4) but I'd love to find something slightly closer to the above dimensions. The slightly larger dimensions make a big difference. Any suggestions on where to find something?

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Poetman

• masterguns

• OCArt

• FountainPenBibliophile

Any resources to locate such a notebook--eBay was no help. What other brands or websites do you all use?

Our esteemed ink goddess, Amberlea Davis Esq., has strongly recommended MiguelRius notebooks available from Barnes and Noble. They are the dimensions you want, about an inch thick, and have a fine grid line.

http://prodimage.images-bn.com/pimages/9780641026898_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/home-gift-black-soft-bound-medium-journal/12601534

They show as temporarily out of stock at the moment but perhaps your local store has them.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Slightly larger, maybe too large on the vertical, is the Quo Vadis Habana: 6 3/4 x 9 1/2. I know there's a blank version. Forgot to check graph options. Paper is nice, may be not TR nice. But nice. 80 sheets.

Edited by FountainPenCowgirl

Our esteemed ink goddess, Amberlea Davis Esq., has strongly recommended MiguelRius notebooks available from Barnes and Noble. They are the dimensions you want, about an inch thick, and have a fine grid line.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/home-gift-black-soft-bound-medium-journal/12601534

They show as temporarily out of stock at the moment but perhaps your local store has them.

That's good enough for me. If Amberlea recommends it, it must be fountain pen friendly.

csnt locate the 100 page version anywhere!

csnt locate the 100 page version anywhere!

Sorry about that, as I said mine is about an inch thick. I see Amazon has them at tone the price of Barnes and Noble but they are also 300 pages.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

yes, the one shown is 300 pages. I have used them off and on for a while there is some bleed through with saturated ink and/or broad+ nibs. It used to come in black, blue and red. Not sure of current availability.

It's a nice notebook and has take a fair amount of abuse without falling apart or showing much wear and tear.

if you live near a Barnes & Noble you might want to stop by.

I think they go for (or used to) $10.00.

All the above and Amberlea's recommendation. It really doesn't get much better!!!

Edited by brgmarketing

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

It seems great, but using a 300 page journal is too much for me. I'd never be able to find anything in such a dense

notebook. Even 200 can be a lot for me--100 is more reasonable for me, but harder to find.

Edited by Poetman

Poetman,

I have a suggestion for you, but it is not in the least bit "sexy." If you're in the US, try the Office Depot "graph ruled composition book." I have used Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Black n' Red, Tomoe River, etc., but this composition book is my favorite. No, the paper is not "dreamy" or "to die for," but it gets the job done pretty nicely. I tend to have pretty wet pens, and I can use both sides of the pages.

-It is inexpensive

-It has just a hint of feedback, which I personally like b/c it helps me control my writing a bit more

-It is thin enough that lays quite flat when writing

-It fits in my A5 size leather covers.*

*You cannot buy them in A5 size. The beauty of these composition books (as I see it) is that one can cut them to whatever size one wants. Just grab a box cutter/utility knife/x-acto knife/etc., a straight edge (I use a metal ruler), and a nice cutting board. Voila...instant A5 composition book.

Give it a shot. You'll only be out a few dollars if you don't like it. As I glance over at my book shelf, I count 4x Rhodia Webnotebooks, 2x Black n' Reds, and 2x SevenSeas Journals sitting unused. I just keep going back to these composition books from Office Depot.

Cheers

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I seem they all time--I don't mind comp. books--in fact a Moleskine or Miquerlis aren't all that different. A sleeker cover is nicer, but I like how inconspicuous they are.

Paper quality seems inconsistent though. What country of origin do you recommend. I know they come from Vietnam, Egypt, India---everywhere but America.

Poetman,

I have a suggestion for you, but it is not in the least bit "sexy." If you're in the US, try the Office Depot "graph ruled composition book." I have used Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Black n' Red, Tomoe River, etc., but this composition book is my favorite. No, the paper is not "dreamy" or "to die for," but it gets the job done pretty nicely. I tend to have pretty wet pens, and I can use both sides of the pages.

-It is inexpensive

-It has just a hint of feedback, which I personally like b/c it helps me control my writing a bit more

-It is thin enough that lays quite flat when writing

-It fits in my A5 size leather covers.*

*You cannot buy them in A5 size. The beauty of these composition books (as I see it) is that one can cut them to whatever size one wants. Just grab a box cutter/utility knife/x-acto knife/etc., a straight edge (I use a metal ruler), and a nice cutting board. Voila...instant A5 composition book.

Give it a shot. You'll only be out a few dollars if you don't like it. As I glance over at my book shelf, I count 4x Rhodia Webnotebooks, 2x Black n' Reds, and 2x SevenSeas Journals sitting unused. I just keep going back to these composition books from Office Depot.

Cheers

Edited by Poetman