How Much Is My Balance Worth?

Jamesbeat

In around 2001, I bought a black Sheaffer Balance II (the modern C/C one) from WH Smith in Birmingham, England.

I liked the pen so much that I went back the next day and bought the other one that they had so I would have a spare.

I have had that pen unused in the box ever since, and brought it with me when I moved to New York in 2009.

I am currently trying to fund a purchase for a different hobby, and since it is a somewhat frivolous purchase, I'm going to make it pay for itself by selling some of my stuff to get the money.

One of the things I'm contemplating selling is this Balance.

I love the pen, but since it is a duplicate of one I already own, it won't kill me to part with it.

It is in mint condition, never inked (unless someone dipped it at the store, but I don't think so) and complete in the box with all the contents that originally came with it.

The box is also in good condition, except for the cardboard sleeve which is a bit tatty.

I don't want to advertise the pen unless I can be absolutely sure that it is worth the money that I need for my new purchase, otherwise I will have sold it for no reason - I would not be selling it if I didn't need the money for something specific.

If it won't fetch the money I need, I will gladly keep it and sell something else instead.

How much do you think it is worth?

Edited by Jamesbeat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Jamesbeat

• Ron Z

• Pincel

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they made the pen in several colors and some are more desireable than others. What color is your pen?

Even the most desireable color is probably $200 or less. How much do you need?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Well, they made the pen in several colors and some are more desireable than others. What color is your pen?

Even the most desireable color is probably $200 or less. How much do you need?

Read the first line of his quote..... ;)

They're nice pens, and I have one in blue, and want it in green. But I have found that at the nib alone sells for more than the whole pen. These have the monotone nib, which was priced at $155 by Sheaffer. If it were a stub nib it would go for more. The box and papers help, but I don't think that you can get $155 for a black pen with a round nib even in the box with papers.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Yes, it's black as I stated above.

The colored ones are prone to cracking I believe, but they do look really nice.

The nib is a standard medium I think, but I can't remember if it is all gold or two tone. I'll have to check when I get home.

Including shipping and taking into account the inevitable PayPal fees, I'd need to get $140 for it to be worth my while selling.

Weird that the nib is worth so much alone!

Sorry I missed the color on the first reading.

In my opinion I don't think you can get $140 for the pen if there is any rush. But, as is said often, a pen is worth what someone else will pay. It can't hurt to try to list it here or another site and just note your price is firm.

Good luck with raising the funds.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The marbled ones, i.e. Aspen, Jade, Red, Mellenium blue are prone to cracking, but the solid color green and blue are not. The marbled material is I am told, a compressed acrylic, and the stresses inherent in the material are what cause it to open up.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sorry I missed the color on the first reading.

In my opinion I don't think you can get $140 for the pen if there is any rush. But, as is said often, a pen is worth what someone else will pay. It can't hurt to try to list it here or another site and just note your price is firm.

Good luck with raising the funds.

Dare I ask how low I would need to price it to get a quick sale?

Dare I ask how low I would need to price it to get a quick sale?

About 2 years ago, I put an ad in this group for the same pen as yours (Balance II Classic Black). Two pens went fast, sold within 2 weeks. The price was $95. I still have 2 more I wanted to sell: another black and a hunter green. Hope this is helpful.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

That feels about right. I purchased a Balance II in black for $90 approx. 4 years ago. Nice pens.

Do you have pictures you can post?

John

Edited by Maine Vintner