Sailor Sapporo Mini: General Feel?

laurahead108

The 1911-M (Standard, sometimes Profit in some locales) can be accurately named Mid-Size. The section diameter is the same as the Sapporo (Pro Gear Slim) or the Mini. The cap & barrel is a little longer than Sapporo. The overall length of a 1911-M is a little longer than a Sapporo. See the following chart:

http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/

I carry & store all my pens in their individual Pelikan leather cases, which limits me to eight pens total.

My 1911 Standards peek out enough from these cases so that I can easily remove them. The smaller Sapporo slides down into the Pelikan case, making it difficult to remove.

I personally prefer the balanced (cigar, Meisterstück shape) to a flat-top. Other folks like the ProGear shape better. The Sailor flat tops are shorter than their 1911 equivalents, which may be an important factor to some.

I also like the slightly longer barrel of a 1911-M. I find that an unposted 1911 Standard is the most comfortable length for writing. These pens make up the backbone of my daily writing kit.

Ideally the best thing would be for you to visit a B&M stationary store that has a good selection of quality pens or attend a pen show/club in your area to be able to handle someone's Sapporo vs 1911-M.

When my trusty old Pelikan 400NN bit the dust, I looked up a Toronto stationary shop to find a similar sized replacement. After dip-testing & writing with a variety of pens in the 200.00 CAD range (about 160.00 USD), I settled on my first of a number of Sailor 1911-Ms. I liked the weight & shape of these (relatively inexpensive) Japanese pens.

I always purchased these pens with a Music nib, which was either modified by the seller (Mottishaw) or sent away to a nib tech (Masuyama) to be turned into stubs & cursive italics. I had a blue/black, two of burgundy, two black, a red/black & two Profit sized Mozaiques,...currently ending up with five mid-size 1911s.

A cool, black/yellow model was also in my sights but it never happened.

A rabbit hole indeed! :D Enjoy the ride.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• laurahead108

• Algester

• 25_15_3

Wow. Thank you for such a detailed response. I've checked, and there is pen show coming to Boston in September. I will take your advice and test drive them. Thanks again!

Laura

A perfect little pen. I have a TWSBI mini as well, and the Sailor feels substantially better built (notwithstanding that it is cartridge only).

I did a review a while ago. You might find it useful.

Too many pens; too little writing.

also do take note the Sailor mini on both models (Profit and Pro gear) are no longer in production but will still be produced if certain shops actually want an exclusive form to them

can you explain for me about the salior tree? they have very diffirent name on one pen. do sailor sapporo be the sailor pro gear slim? and pro gear, pro gear slim, pro gear 2 and pro gear sigma is different brand?

thanks.

can you explain for me about the salior tree? they have very diffirent name on one pen. do sailor sapporo be the sailor pro gear slim? and pro gear, pro gear slim, pro gear 2 and pro gear sigma is different brand?

thanks.

I have a hunch that Pro Gear is called Sapporo slim in the US but thats beyond me but I think it's called Pro Gear slim now in the US but I'm not exactly sure Edited by Algester

This may clear up the names for Sapporo/Pro gear Slim for the North American market:

http://www.nibs.com/SailorSapporo.htm

(no affiliation, except as a repeat customer)

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I ordered a Mini from Morita earlier this year (in MF). They had other nib options as well. Mine was well tuned out of the box. (Morita does not ship to the US, so I used a proxy buying company called White Rabbit Express that I was pleased with.)

Matter of personal preference, but I find the robin's egg blue and rhodium furniture quite striking, more so in person than photographs. For my average-sized male hands the pen is comfortable for short use. I bought it to carry in jeans pockets on weekends and it is excellent for this.

This is my first pro gear. The quality seems good though do note it is quite a 'plasticky' feeling pen. Not a criticism, exactly, but striking compared to the matte Sapporo, which is the only similar sailor I own.