Sailor Sapporo Mini: General Feel?

laurahead108

Hi,

I have never owned a Sailor pen -- my Jaoanese standbys are Pilot and a Platinum Century 3776-- but want to rectify that for my birthday this month. My favorite pen, size and comfort-wise, is a posted TWSBI Diamond Mini; thus, I have been eyeing the Sapporo Mini. Can anybody share their experience of how those two compare with each other? I have their respective dimensions, but there's no substitute for experience. (Also, I am totally fetishizing the out-of-production yellow edition. If anybody knows of a good reason why we should not be wed, please speak now before I launch myself into auction hell.)

Thank you!

Laura

Edited by laurahead108

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinta

• laurahead108

• Algester

• 25_15_3

A lovely little pen that I had for only a little while.

The Sailor Sapporo Mini has the same grip dimentions as my favourite 1911 Standards, a perfect size for someone with smallish hands. I bought one with a 14K MS nib which was then stubbed by Mike Masuyama.

Once the cap was posted (screwed) onto the barrel, the Mini was almost as large as the rest of the medium sized pens I used. The only down side to the Mini was that it was a (proprietary) cartridge-only pen. This meant that only Sailor branded carts could fit this pen. There were attempts by various FPN folk to jury-rig a converter for the Mini but I didn't want to fiddle with that.

If you are willing to live with this limitation, I heartily recommend the Mini. I now regret selling my red/black mini. The yellow/black is a real stunner.

What nib is being offered with your Mini?

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Hi,

Thanks for you input. I don't know what nibs are available, I'm still in the early stages of shopping around. I'm leaning towards a fine, presuming it will be closer to a European EF. (I have a Platinum EF and it's like writing with a hair.)

Thanks!

Laura

All the best in your quest for that Mini.

István

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

also do take note the Sailor mini on both models (Profit and Pro gear) are no longer in production but will still be produced if certain shops actually want an exclusive form to them

Sorry to highjack this thread, but I would like to ask Algester what he meant by "Profit and Pro Gear" with regards to the Sailor Minis.

Did he mean that there was a balanced shape Profit version of the Mini & a flat top Professional Gear version if this little pen? I thought the Minis were only issued as a Pro Gear Slim or Sapporo flat top.

Was there a Profit version that was only available in Japan? If so, I'd love to see a picture of it, as I do prefer a balance shaped pen to a flat top.

Edited by tinta

Thank you Algester, this is fascinating.

Are these Profit shaped Minis available now in Japan or Spain? Can they be set up with 14K MS nibs?

Like Algester said, the Profit minis currently available are on sideriver as exclusives in MF only.

The mini series is interesting. I really liked my Sapporo Mini when I had it. My only gripe about the pen was the excess plastic molding marks on the grip section.

Yes, this has been a very rewarding thread. But heads up: Sap Minis are really scarce. Am thinking I'll need to re-direct my fetish to a Sapporo, unfortunately.

Thank you Algester, this is fascinating.

Are these Profit shaped Minis available now in Japan or Spain? Can they be set up with 14K MS nibs?

JP only you can swap nibs since t hey use the slim size nibs on the slim line pens (Profit and Pro gear) or swap sections if you please I already sent you shop links however I'm not sure if they can ship outside of Japan... if they don't perhaps you have other methods

if you want the pro gear both Morita and Nagasawa pen den have their own versions that said again if they can't ship outside Japan other methods should work

Edited by Algester

You can order a baby blue one from Morita in Japan. I got my mini by posting a WTB ad here on FPN. Good luck!

You can order a baby blue one from Morita in Japan. I got my mini by posting a WTB ad here on FPN. Good luck!

Oh really? Thank you!

Yes, this has been a very rewarding thread. But heads up: Sap Minis are really scarce. Am thinking I'll need to re-direct my fetish to a Sapporo, unfortunately.

The little investigating I've done about sourcing a Mini has proved your point,...they're scarce indeed.

Have fun choosing your Sapporo. They come in many different flavours.

Just noticed on nibs.com (no affiliation) that there's a new burgundy Earth Special Ed. version of this pen. I'm very tempted to get this particular model, as I have two 1911 Standard size pens in this exact colour scheme.

Sapporos (Pro Gear Slims) are physically a little smaller than the mid-size 1911 Standard (the sections, the 14K nibs & the feeds are same size). I had a couple Sapporo sections installed on my Profit sized Mozaiques. Both the rhodium plated 14K (Sapporo) edged nibs (by Mottishaw & Masuyama) are absolutely super writers.

There is a fair bit of discussion on FPN threads about the out-of-the-box performance of Sailor's popular sized EF, F & MF 14K stock nibs.

I can only attest to the Sapporo nibs that were ground & tuned at the workshops of these well known nib-techs.

JP only you can swap nibs since t hey use the slim size nibs on the slim line pens (Profit and Pro gear) or swap sections if you please I already sent you shop links however I'm not sure if they can ship outside of Japan... if they don't perhaps you have other methods

if you want the pro gear both Morita and Nagasawa pen den have their own versions that said again if they can't ship outside Japan other methods should work

Thanks Algester for the additional info on the Minis.

The little investigating I've done about sourcing a Mini has proved your point,...they're scarce indeed.

Have fun choosing your Sapporo. They come in many different flavours.

Just noticed on nibs.com (no affiliation) that there's a new burgundy Earth Special Ed. version of this pen. I'm very tempted to get this particular model, as I have two 1911 Standard size pens in this exact colour scheme.

Sapporos (Pro Gear Slims) are physically a little smaller than the mid-size 1911 Standard (the sections, the 14K nibs & the feeds are same size). I had a couple Sapporo sections installed on my Profit sized Mozaiques. Both the rhodium plated 14K (Sapporo) edged nibs (by Mottishaw & Masuyama) are absolutely super writers.

There is a fair bit of discussion on FPN threads about the out-of-the-box performance of Sailor's popular sized EF, F & MF 14K stock nibs.

I can only attest to the Sapporo nibs that were ground & tuned at the workshops of these well known nib-techs.

So, I should budget in a post-purchase nib tuning just in case. Or can I buy a Sapporo pre-checked/tuned? If o, do you have any recommendations? Thank you!

Indeed, his work, communication & service is excellent. Not inexpensive, but you'll get what you paid for & more.

John will do adjustments (& customization if you wish) before you get your pen. You can be assured that your pen will write as it should.

If you want to get any custom work done after you get your pen delivered, I believe John is able to put you into his "preferred" faster queue, if the post-delivery nib work is done within a six month period. It has been a while since I bought a pen at Classic FP.,... it's best to check his present conditions of sale & service. To date I've had five Sailors done there.

Edited by tinta

Oh no, I'm falling down the Sailor rabbit hole. What about the 1911 Mid-Size (also in zippy yellow?) Is that substantially bigger than the Sapphoro? Is it a better pen? I want to experience the infamous Sailor nibs in a pen that is a fun color that feels natural to my small hands. What should I do? Help me Obi-wan, you are my only hope.