Parker 51 Desk Pen Repair

cnnlim

I recently purchased a Parker 51 2 pens desk pen set and obviously the nibs needed some work. I seems to have problem removing the hood from the feed by turning it counter clockwise , it is just so tight that I am afraid I might break it. This didn't happen to another Parker 51 aerometric that I had bought previously.

Is there a different between these desk pens as compare to a regular parker 51 ? Any suggestion on how to safely remove the hood ? I notice that there is some residual ink in the pen and I am soaking it in water, not sure whether that could be a cause of this problem.

BTW, I foresee I will need to buy some replacement nibs, what would be a recommended place to get one ?

post-6331-0-87720400-1468369300_thumb.jpg

post-6331-0-23056400-1468369336_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cnnlim

• ac12

• Flounder

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, you were lucky with the other pen.

The hood of ALL the 51s are secured with a sealant, so the ink does not leak out between the hood and the ring. You have to soften the sealant enough to unscrew the hood. Some take more work to release than others. Some of the sealants may have broken down over time, allowing you to unscrew the hood without much effort.

The hood can be tricky to get off, and there are at least 2 different methods used.

- heat the hood (hair dryer, small adjustable heater, etc.). This is my method.

- soak the hood, just to the ring, in HOT, sub-boiling water. See the following link:

http://www.vintagepens.com/Parker_51_repair.htm

You will need to seal the hood when you put it back on. Description in the link above.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I still say boiling water to remove a hood is not a preferred method, especially on later 51s with injection molded hoods.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I still say boiling water to remove a hood is not a preferred method, especially on later 51s with injection molded hoods.

And a few hundred 51 down the road, I still agree.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

It's a nice looking desk pen. I think I would refrain from the boiling water method. Use a hair dryer. The heat is lower than a heat gun, and it should be enough to soften the existing sealant.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Firstly, yes dried up up can make for a stubborn adhesive, soak and expell as much as possible OP.

No, you were lucky with the other pen.
The hood of ALL the 51s are secured with a sealant, so the ink does not leak out between the hood and the ring. You have to soften the sealant enough to unscrew the hood. Some take more work to release than others. Some of the sealants may have broken down over time, allowing you to unscrew the hood without much effort.

I honestly don't think this is the case with English O ring 51's. I've seen shellac once, and apart from that no sealant of any kind. If you read this old manual hosted at the PCA, (which is admittedly quite poor and even has some bad advice) there's no mention of heating the hood or applying sealant on reassembly, just discarding the O ring for a fresh one.

On the other hand, it omits applying any sealant to vac hoods (after disassembly by twisting with a snapping action), so hmm.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Come to think of it, I think most of my 51s are US made. Although I have a few with O-rings, I don't remember if they had sealant on them or not. That's what I get for not writing things down.

www.SFPenShow.com

Come to think of it, I think most of my 51s are US made. Although I have a few with O-rings, I don't remember if they had sealant on them or not. That's what I get for not writing things down.

That's a good point about writing down observations and so forth.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

That's a good point about writing down observations and so forth.

Yes, thinking that I will remember, and actually remembering are two different things, which usually don't match :(

www.SFPenShow.com

Wait until you get older. Sometimes I will take a medication and not be able to remember five minutes later whether I took it or not. Now I keep a log where I write down every med I take and the twenty-four hour time. I used to do this with Parker 51s I had. A couple of pages devoted to each. I used a blank wire bound book. Lost it in a move.

Thanks you all for the advice.... I manage to dismantle the pens and now the nibs and sections are soak in dishwasher fluid...

The bent nib still put down ink on paper, it is a little scratchy but the ink flow seems to be ok. I am thinking if I should try to bend it back ...

This is a very nice desk set that I've gotten for a very good price... I intend to restore the pens properly so that I can use them daily. However some of the replacement nibs are going at a price as high as the entire set. I saw some Parker 51 equivalent nibs from China ( made by Hero ), any thoughts about those ?

post-6331-0-46834900-1468830935_thumb.jpg

post-6331-0-20867000-1468830994_thumb.jpg

Oh, don't soak the sac guards. Try to dry those off as best you can.

Yes many many things curdled when that picture was loaded.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Oh, don't soak the sac guards. Try to dry those off as best you can.

Oops, just removed and dry up the sac guards.

I defer to FB.

I'm still learning, and I obviously need another lesson, at the next Pen Posse.

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks you all for the advice.... I manage to dismantle the pens and now the nibs and sections are soak in dishwasher fluid...

The bent nib still put down ink on paper, it is a little scratchy but the ink flow seems to be ok. I am thinking if I should try to bend it back ...

This is a very nice desk set that I've gotten for a very good price... I intend to restore the pens properly so that I can use them daily. However some of the replacement nibs are going at a price as high as the entire set. I saw some Parker 51 equivalent nibs from China ( made by Hero ), any thoughts about those ?

I suggest getting a replacement nib.

Then if you want to, try to straighten the original nib. But there is every likely hood of damaging the nib, then you use your replacement nib.

Straightening a nib is NOT easy. I can straighten some of the easy ones, but there are some that I won't event attempt, those go to the pros. And even the 'easy' ones are HARD for me to do, cuz I don't have the skills of the pros.

Personally I would not use a Hiro 51 nib, cuz I have no idea of their fit. What I would be afraid is a bad fit that may damage the feed or collector. But if there is no other option, why not give it a try.

www.SFPenShow.com

Just want to share the latest progress.

I decided to try straightening the nib, in worst case if I damage it, I will go get a new nib.

I spent about an hour at my desk with the help of a x20 magnifying glass and a long nose plier, I manage to straighten the bent nib to a reasonable condition, which is not perfect but it doesn't bothers me anymore. I also adjusted both the nibs and now I have 2 nice working desk pen that writes very well.

Inked them with Parker Quink Black and Blue respectively, both lay down a wet fine line , very smooth and no skipping with fast writing.

I am a happy man today !!

Before:

post-6331-0-35120100-1469265241.jpg

After:

post-6331-0-12606600-1469265306.jpg

post-6331-0-06582300-1469265362_thumb.jpg

yay :)

www.SFPenShow.com