Sigh, Lost My Pen

wallylynn

should have been more careful this morning but I lost my Lamy Vista. My second, it was already a replacement for the first lost one.

Prices have gone up since I originally bought them so I'm reluctant to get another only to lose that too.

Any other inexpensive pens with a good clip?

maybe I should just use the few other pens I already have instead of buying another.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wallylynn

• sirgilbert357

• praxim

• Arkanabar

There are Chinese copies of the Safari that sell for as low as USD$1 each. Maybe a handful of those for daily use? Some are available in transparent colors although I've not seen a clear one yet.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Three magnificently helpful suggestions:

• Buy two, so when you lose one you do not have to pay more for another.
  • Use your other pens.
  • Stop losing pens!!

It's OK, you don't have to thank me. B)

X

should have been more careful this morning but I lost my Lamy Vista. My second, it was already a replacement for the first lost one.

Prices have gone up since I originally bought them so I'm reluctant to get another only to lose that too.

maybe I should just use the few other pens I already have instead of buying another.

Here you go, the best solution ever :P

fpn_1468316814__4478087-leonardos-vitruv

You don't mention how you lost it. Just laying it down somewhere and walking off? Fell out of an open compartment in a backpack? Realized at the end of the day that you had no idea where it had gone?

I'm a bit absent minded myself. I've found that it helps to develop some sort of routine for keeping track of the small things that I might otherwise lose. If you can get to the point where you put your pens back in their place automatically when you're done writing without even thinking about it, then all you have left to worry about is somebody swiping it. "Their place" could be a shirt pocket, backpack, desk drawer, whatever works for you.

Practice not losing pens with the pens you've got while you save up for either another Vista or something that will be a step up. At least, that's my advice. :D

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

You don't mention how you lost it. Just laying it down somewhere and walking off? Fell out of an open compartment in a backpack? Realized at the end of the day that you had no idea where it had gone?

I think it slipped out of my pocket while riding the bus commuting to work. I normally carry it clip to my pants pocket. But today, I had to wear dress pants; the pocket is a little shallower, and the fabric slipperier. When I got to work, it wasn't there. And of course, the bus had driven off long ago.

Perhaps using a small pen case or zippered pouch that you put in a backpack or messenger bag would be worth trying?

I find pants and shirt pockets to be high risk options. My pens fall out or get left behind.

Pilot Metro's are a lower price alternative, lots of styles and readily available.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Perhaps using a small pen case or zippered pouch that you put in a backpack or messenger bag would be worth trying?

I find pants and shirt pockets to be high risk options. My pens fall out or get left behind.

probably for the best. Commuting was when I lost my original vista too. It's not like I need the pen then. I can clip it when I arrive and store when I'm done for the day.

twsbi eco is appealing. i've been wanting one forever... and it's cheaper than vista+converter.

There are Chinese copies of the Safari that sell for as low as USD$1 each. Maybe a handful of those for daily use? Some are available in transparent colors although I've not seen a clear one yet.

what sellers could you recommend? the one I bought HEROs from doesn't sell them anymore. i should use them though...

I can't recommend any one seller-- I haven't had a problem with any and the pens are very inexpensive. Search eBay for Jinhao 599-- I just did and found that they were offering a clear model very much like the Vista for under $2. ( do note that the clips look different than the Lamy)

what sellers could you recommend? the one I bought HEROs from doesn't sell them anymore. i should use them though...

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Alzheimer?. In a sense everybody of us have it, more or less, but in some stages it permit us to think and remember. I am not saying that officially you have it, and assuming you dont, lets recreate the yesterday or today you lose your pen, its so near, lets remember step by step the last time you used or remember your pen nor in seconds or miliseconds, it only Funes by Borges could do it, lets say in minutes, it is easy, sometimes it works for me, to recreate where I was what movements I did and found the thing. Btw I never let my room even to the kitchen with a fountain pen in my hand, no reason. I know , I know, purists sometimes go to the office or the street with fountainpens and worst with very expensive ones but I dont belive in it for me fp are sacred dark objects of desire and lust for drawing or writing paraphrasing Luis Buñuel. For those daily occasions when I go out I trust my pilots precise v5 fine or my uniballs or ...whatever.

Edited by penrivers

I've lost things carrying them in my dress pants from express before. The pockets are so shallow. I usually keep my pens in a messenger bag I carry around. I also keep them in a pen sleeve. If you don't like carrying a bag around, you can also wear a sports jacket and carry it in your breast pocket. It will carry your pen and up your style!

If there is a situation where you really need to keep the pen in your pants pockets, having a pen sleeve is great. Instead of slipping the entire pen in, leave the clip out so that it is grabbing on the sleeve in addition to your pocket. The extra material between the clip will make it tighter. Maybe choose pens with tighter clips. I would consider Safaris as having relatively looser clips.

Pilot Varsity (disposable and comes in packs too), Pilot Metropolitan, Platinum Preppy, Jinhao are cheap pens to lose

Edited by eighty_eighth

Buy a much more expensive pen. I bet you won't mis place it.

Just searched amazon, and found 8 Jinhao 599 for just under $8USD: https://www.amazon.com/Jinhao-Fountain-Diversity-Transparent-Unique/dp/B00L95MIJQ/ref=sr_1_2/175-0154042-6227738?ie=UTF8&qid=1468395911&sr=8-2&keywords=jinhao+599

You get one of each (plastic) color. You can save a few cents by going a bit further down the first search page: https://www.amazon.com/Lisingtool-Jinhao-Fountain-Transparent-Diversity/dp/B01GC5YUQ6/ref=sr_1_17/175-0154042-6227738?ie=UTF8&qid=1468395911&sr=8-17&keywords=jinhao+599

The converter failed on my 599, and it wound up not staying securely capped after a while. But that's a sample of one, and it's hard to beat those prices.

Buy a much more expensive pen. I bet you won't mis-place it.

Works for me. :thumbup:

I have never lost anything expensive, only cheap to low-medium; theft aside and that was only electronics from a home anyway.

Trouser pocket has always been a bad place unless the item sits deep in the pocket and is proven unable to slide out, e.g. car keys. Would you lose your car keys? If not, why would you lose a pen? A reasonable jacket or shirt pocket will not suffer this sliding except by uncommon behaviours.

Things like a pen case all the time, and use of a backpack or messenger bag, are very useful suggestions too. Think first of the physical security against loss way before before considering active theft, and organise habits to support that security.

X

Yeah. I never had any issues with the pants I normally wear. Just the dress pants them being shallower and slippery fabric.

Carrying my Noodler's in my bag these past few days is messing with my brain. I keep reaching at my pocket to discover that my pen isn't where it should be. I carry it in my pants because that's the one piece of clothing I'm guaranteed to wear. Shirt doesn't always have pocket, jacket/coat depends on weather, bag only when traveling.

so that it is grabbing on the sleeve in addition to your pocket. The extra material between the clip will make it tighter. Maybe choose pens with tighter clips.

I just added a rubber band to the cap. It's not pretty, but so far it's working quite well. I need to tug relatively hard to take the pen out of my pocket.

Just searched amazon, and found 8 Jinhao 599 for just under $8USD:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably pick up a pack, and have 7 left over for gifts.

The only pens that I have lost repeatedly (3x) is the Ohto Tasche, that I put in my pant pocket next to my wallet. I use this pen when I wear a shirt without a pocket, like most polo shirts. I suspect that the pen sneaks out when I remove my wallet.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com