New Pen: Pelikan M1000 Or Sailor King Of Pen?

Jjf1989

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new pen. I'm currently looking at a Pelikan M1000 or a Sailor King of Pen. I like the look of both of them. The thing I am really looking for is a pen with a springy nib. I have some vintage flex but they are not great for me for everyday writing. They have too much flex! I want something I can use on a daily basis at school but that has a little spring in it's step and can give a little subtle variation to my writing.

Does anyone here own both and what do you recommend?

Any help would be great!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jjf1989

• jmccarty3

• Raif79

• Albert26

Them M1000 does have a soft springy nib, not flex by any means.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have to admit they are very slick looking pens. And I believe they hold much more ink than a KoP. That would be useful in class!

The KOP nibs are not springy at all. If you want that then tour choice is the M1000. The pens are very we though, of if you want a typical European M line width, you should get an F or EF.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for the heads up. That's strange because I saw a video by I think Dan smith of the KOP that showed some springiness. That's what put it on my shortlist to begin with. I wonder why that is.

Some people will try to flex a nib past what it is capable of.

I think I had that happen to a M150 I have by a previous owner.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

If you like to post pens; I wouldn't get the M1000. It becomes too long and unbalanced. I would get the M800 first. I never used or seen a sailor KOP but sailor nibs are great writers especially if you want F or EF nibs.

Edited by pkoko

I think of my FPs as my children.

I'm not a huge fan of the M1000. I have an M nib and I have a hard time keeping it under control. If you have more experience with vintage flex this may not be a big deal, and a if I used premium paper it might be more manageable. If I were picking a Pelikan I would take an M800. Not sure which I would pick between an M800 or KOP.

The KOP may not be springy but I do think it's a soft nib.

In general both are very nice pens.

I'm not a huge fan of the M1000. I have an M nib and I have a hard time keeping it under control. If you have more experience with vintage flex this may not be a big deal, and a if I used premium paper it might be more manageable. If I were picking a Pelikan I would take an M800. Not sure which I would pick between an M800 or KOP.

The KOP may not be springy but I do think it's a soft nib.

In general both are very nice pens.

Thanks for the input. Would you say you write with a heavy hand or no?

The KOP nibs are not springy at all. If you want that then tour choice is the M1000. The pens are very we though, of if you want a typical European M line width, you should get an F or EF.

This is true. My Broad is definitely in the realm of double broads by any other makers standards.

As for my own opinion, I'd go with the m1000. The KoP is nice, but I feel you get an overall nicer package with the m1000.

Also, this might be relevant

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/299031-sailor-king-of-pen-ebonite-with-naginata-togi-medium-fine-nib-vs-pelikan-m1000-with-extra-fine-nib/

This is true. My Broad is definitely in the realm of double broads by any other makers standards.

As for my own opinion, I'd go with the m1000. The KoP is nice, but I feel you get an overall nicer package with the m1000.

Also, this might be relevant

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/299031-sailor-king-of-pen-ebonite-with-naginata-togi-medium-fine-nib-vs-pelikan-m1000-with-extra-fine-nib/

Thanks for that link! I don't know how I missed it!

I'd go with the King of Pen BUT make sure to try it out first. Sailor nibs, in my experience, tend to be extremely position sensitive. If you write with a different angle than what the nib is meant for, it will feel scratchy; but if you do hold your pen at the angle the nib is meant for, nothing writes better. (Except OMAS, but they don't count anymore. :crybaby: ) Being a Sailor fan is 100% about the nibs.

You can always have the nib tuned for your own personal hand which, considering the cost of the pen, you may or may not feel is reasonable to accept.

The M1000 is considerably heavier, if you like a heavy pen. It also holds more ink. It is also more prestigious, I think. You'll never have to explain to someone why you bought a really expensive, plastic, Japanese, C/C-pen with a friction-fit plastic feed.

Personally, I don't mind C/C or the friction-fit feed because it makes the pen extremely easy to tear down and clean, especially if you use a lot of iron gall inks like I do.

Another thing to consider, particularly if you're ordering online, is that Pelikan doesn't have a flawless QC department. Of the Pelikans I've bought in the MXXX line, maybe a third of them had issues that required intervention and/or exchange.

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS

The medium nib on the KOP is very smooth, but it is not springy. If you want a springy nib, the M1000 is the pen for you. The M800 nib is not springy at all, and I don't particularly like it. With either pen, if you are at all concerned about quality control, I recommend ordering from nibs.com, where they will check the nib carefully and adjust it for your type of writing before sending it. I haven't ever had a problem with any of the pens I have bought from them.

Another thing, if you want to try other nib sizes, the nibs on the Pelikan are interchangeable, and nibs.com can supply them with special grinds if you want. I have two M1000s and four nibs I can use between them. With my KOP, I'm stuck with one, although it's the nicest Sailor nib I've ever owned.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

In which way are you employing line variation? A custom stub nib could also be the solution.

With that budget, you could even consider the new Decoband, it is a huge pen and the nib is authentically flexible.

For a classroom setting, I second the recommendation for the M800, is ostensibly lighter than the M1000 and more usable for long writing sessions.

Cheers