The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Should I Let Go Of The Only Omas I Have?

omas visconti milord homo sapeins

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2016 - 15:17

Hello everyone!

I have been on the fence about this for a bit now and wanted some thoughts and opinions. I have an OMAS Milord Black HT 18K nib piston filler that writes reasonably well. I've had it for a while and I don't feel too excited about it. I bought it for a good price and like the faceted design and the nib, ebonite feed. But it isn't doing a whole lot for me since I already have a few black CT/GT pens. So I've been thinking about sending it off to a home where it would be loved more and get myself a Visconti (leaning towards the Homo Sapiens model).

Part of me thinks, now that OMAS is no more and it is going to be more and more difficult to acquire their pens, I should hold on to the Milord and find other ways to fund the Visconti. This might take longer.

OR, I could get rid of the Milord and use the funds to get a Visconti. The price of a sparingly used Milord in excellent condition with all original packaging material should be able to fetch a decent amount to almost cover the price of a used Homo Sapiens.

Should I or should I not let the OMAS go to get the Visconti? Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2016 - 15:36

Let it go if you don't love it. Life is too short.

I also don't get why people feel Omas will be hard to find. They made a lot of pens. Sure a NOS will get harder to find, but the pens are easy to get should you want to rebuy it.

Edited by zaddick, 11 July 2016 - 17:35.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#3 FriendAmos

FriendAmos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 16:43

Part of me thinks, now that OMAS is no more and it is going to be more and more difficult to acquire their pens, I should hold on to the Milord and find other ways to fund the Visconti. This might take longer.

If the pen does nothing for you, then what does it matter that OMAS pens will get more difficult to find?   As a writing instrument, I see no point in that.   Perhaps to sell when the prices go even higher?   I'd be wary of that, especially with a not-too-exciting black pen; on a place like Ebay, people are asking for ridiculous amounts (for celluloids), and the pens sit there day after day.   

#4 katanankes

katanankes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:54

Really no reason to keep it, you will always find a Milord available. 

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:13

Let it go if you don't love it. Life is too short.

+1 for this.

#6 CeeElle

CeeElle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:26

If you mean to hang on to the pen in order to obtain a better sale price you should really consider how long you will be holding it for (maybe years?) to gain say 10, 20% more. What that means in reality is like $20-50. Not worth it I say unless it is a desirable variant, do what makes you happy.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omas, visconti, milord, homo sapeins

Sponsored Content

|