Sheaffer Taranis

SpecTP

I just inked up my new Sheaffer Taranis (steel nib F) with Diamine Prussian Blue. It writes beautifully and smooth with no flow issues. Will likely keep it in the office and use it alongside my Pilot VP. I didn't see much info in the threads about this pen. Is it not popular?

edit: did a search on the forum and it looks like there are a lot of negative views of this particular pen back before 2014. Hopefully, my experiences won't be as bad.

Edited by SpecTP

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SpecTP

• Tas

• northstar

• LeftyJim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to admit, I wasn't a huge fan of this pen. People have complained about the look of the nib, which I don't necessarily have a problem with; I don't mind non-traditional nibs, but in this case, this one looks like it's trying to ape the Pilot VP, without the cool functionality of that pen. Had they gone with a different less-VP-like nib, I might have been inclined to like it more than I do... but that's a relatively minor complaint.

I know, too, that a lot of people don't like the look of that silver band on the section (the one with "sheaffer" embossed on it)... but here's the thing, I recently saw one in person, and the friend I was with said it reminded him of the styling from a 50's automobile... and that insight kind of changed my perspective on it. When I look at it now, I think, that's kind of a cool retro flair...

I think this pen doesn't photograph very well: the proportions seem clunky in photos, and that section bit might be a bit too far-out for people to readily digest. Which might be why it hasn't been very popular.

Having said all that, I was watching some youtube reviews of this pen not 2 days ago, and the one by FPgeeks was an eye-opener; not only was the reviewer impressed by the nib, but the minute he starts to write with it, so was I. Surprisingly so. The lines look awesome: there's variation (sure, not as much as a flex would afford, but it's definitely there), good flow, consistency. I haven't written with one yet, but that reviewer is surprised by how well it writes... and he convinced me to give one a try.

All of that to say: I think it's the kind of pen that might alienate some of the pen buying market. But that alone doesn't make it a bad pen. I can definitely see where it would fit into a rotation (a great EDC, not too blingy, not too showy, a bit casual). If your experience has been good, you should write that up. I for one would love to hear comments from someone who's pleased by it... And some pictures would, as always, be welcome...

In any case, enjoy your pen. I think it will sit very comfortably beside your VP and make for a great office edc. And it would be cool to hear how you feel about it after you've used it for a while.

D.

I actually picked one of these up a couple of months back and enjoyed the pen a fair amount. I ended up sending it to Mark Bacus because I felt like it could be thinner and now its one of the better writing pens. The nib is pretty much a nail and its a little heavy but if you like heavier pens this is a beauty. I hear a lot of bad reviews on the black pen because of easy scratching but I have a grey gunmetal and there is a scratch or two but it blends in well with the grey.

I have Taranis in Grey Gunmetal colour and M nib. It is few years old (I had it as soon as it was available) and I like it very much. It is not prone to scratches in my experience. It has a smooth wet nib without any flow issues and the pen is heavy but well balanced. I use it without posting like my other pens. The nib is nail as Jobesmirage mentioned but I had tried it before purchase and have no problem with it. I really like my taranis as much as my other modern sheaffers.

took some pic's of the pen and after a day of use, I'm actually liking this pen quite a bit. The fine nib works great and the flow is excellent. The pen didn't dry out overnight with the cap on and started writing superbly the next day.

post-130775-0-80831300-1468345641_thumb.jpg

post-130775-0-11095900-1468345652_thumb.jpg

post-130775-0-45825700-1468345660_thumb.jpg

I adore mine ! :wub:

I'm sure you soon will too. :)

TAS, first time I see your handwriting and wooow, so lovely, and your review really makes me want to ink my taranises.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

I adore mine ! :wub:

I'm sure you soon will too. :)

That's amazing that your medium nib looks as sharp as my fine nib. Probably because I write with a heavy hand.

took some pic's of the pen and after a day of use, I'm actually liking this pen quite a bit. The fine nib works great and the flow is excellent. The pen didn't dry out overnight with the cap on and started writing superbly the next day.

Oh wow... is that... GREEN....

fancy

TAS, first time I see your handwriting and wooow, so lovely, and your review really makes me want to ink my taranises.

Best regards.

No one, and I mean no one has ever complimented me on my handwriting. I'm seriously speechless. Thank you ! :blush: :blush:

I bought one in 2014, a black one with steel medium nib and is a true medium with good flow and smooth nib. For a couple of months it wrote beautifully. But after that it developed hard start especially after resting in a position with nib upwards like putting the pen it the shirts pocket. Once it starts to writing again, it will be smooth and continuous. I tried so many times flushing thoroughly and using different inks,but the problem still continues.

Having said this, I really like pen this pen for the design and looks and the smooth writing (when it does). It does have a nice size, length and beautiful balance and weight without posting the cap. The lacquer polish is definitely prone to scratches as I have a number of micro scratches and on the black finish it is easily seen.

With all the negatives I have on this pen, I like this pen so much that I have bought another one in Burgundy colour with gold plated nib furniture. I haven't received it yet but hopefully it will work perfectly .

Have the Green with a Fine nib. Has proven to be a good reliable writer over the last year or so.

Capped, it resembles both the Cross ATX and the Parker 45. Uncapped, more the Parker 45. It's a nice looking pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Just ordered a Taranis, the blue one, fine nib :) I have seen all the finishes in the shop and surprisingly, this one seems to be the best for me.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

The five original colors are discontinued, if they have all the colors at that shop, get all of themy if you can ;)

Just ordered a Taranis, the blue one, fine nib :) I have seen all the finishes in the shop and surprisingly, this one seems to be the best for me.

The five original colors are discontinued, if they have all the colors at that shop, get all of them if you can ;) Edited by northstar

They have! I can share links to websites or phone numbers via PM, because it's gonna be my only Taranis. I don't have enough money to buy them all... But I know places where you can get black, grey, purple, green, blue, Stormy Wine GT, white GT and Ferrari edition in decent prices. Not affiliated :)

They have! I can share links to websites or phone numbers via PM, because it's gonna be my only Taranis. I don't have enough money to buy them all... But I know places where you can get black, grey, purple, green, blue, Stormy Wine GT, white GT and Ferrari edition in decent prices. Not affiliated :)

Thank you so much :) I do have all the original colors, but I am sure some people may be interested.

Best regards.

• 1 year later...

I just bought one of these off Amazon for 40 bucks. The Sheaffer Taranis Stormy Night. Medium tip.

I like it. Smooth writer. I inked it with Noodlers Aircorp Blue. Did not require any fine tuning at all.

Over all a nice pen and a EDC for now. Till I find something else.

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

• 1 year later...

Fascinating read. Just bumping this as I have a simple question to ask.

Does this pen come with Medium and Broad nib sizes?

Mine came with a fine and I love it. Love it so much I went looking for a second and then I saw nib options and reviews. Nib options being F, M, B (with the B marked as sold out) and the M nib being switched for a F upon delivery according to the reviews.

Does anyone own a Taranis Broad? Does anyone have a M? And if at all possible does anyone know where to get M or B nibbed Taranis pens in the UK?