The Pain Of Letting Go

Uncial

I could as easily say that in my female experience, the opposite is true. But I see no need to continue the sexism.

Regarding getting rid of pens, you can always buy them back if you really want to.

Thank you, there you go case dismissed.

Worst thing I did was let go of vinyl hip hop albums from the 80's for a friend who wanted to be a DJ. It stung but I would not have used them and atleast he did.

Theres the pain before letting go when I sit there contemplating it, and then letting go but if has not been used then there is some relief atleast. I had literally hundreds of computer games and they were all part of an individually picked collection, I slowly grew out of games but it wasnt a bad thing when they went. I also had hundreds of comics and suddenly I just wanted to free up space. They were not even in the way they were placed way out of the way but after they went man did I feel some relief.

I understand some people here might have pens that need an alarm system but if things go then life just goes on, we adapt. Humans are awesome that way. Its taking me ages to learn Palmer style but I know I will adapt to because its hurting to learn right now.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mrpink

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• praxim

Mrpink, on 09 Dec 2016 - 19:53, said:

I understand some people here might have pens that need an alarm system but if things go then life just goes on, we adapt. Humans are awesome that way. Its taking me ages to learn Palmer style but I know I will adapt to because its hurting to learn right now.

Yep, it's all about the constant letting go so that we have room for new things.

As to Palmer Method, I learned it as a child and can still write it quite easily -- drilled into my muscle memory by Sister Laurentia in Catholic school. But I prefer the Italic Cursive I learned a few years ago, even though it's more difficult for me right now.

I regret selling Visconti Rembrandt, Platinum 3776, Montblanc 146, Sailor Pro Gear Slim, Sailor 1911L Naginata Togi... But sometimes its for the better. I sold my Lamy Dialog 3, because I was annoyed you can't see how much ink is left in the converter. But I missed it so I bought it again, and discovered design has been improved and ink window added where the converter is.

Would you post a pic of your LD3 with ink window?

After actively collecting for 30 years and putting together a collection of over 300 fine vintage and modern pens, I took a deep breath this year and decided to let go of most of them, especially some very special pens--Parker Centennials and Internationals, modern Conway Stewarts, big modern Pelikans, Dorics, vintage and modern Montblancs, etc. I'm down to about a hundred and plan to keep a hard core of 30-50 to pass on to my daughter, including two Agathas and two Hemingways (and frankly she can do with them as she pleases), but the point is, having put myself in this frame of mind, I actually feel tremendously relieved, freed of the lust for new pens and grail acquisitions. While I owned and used many of those pens for over 20 years I don't miss them now, knowing they're in good hands. I hardly look at Ebay anymore and have even let many good bargains pass. I knew I'd come to this at some point but never imagined it would be this easy and satisfying. I look forward to retiring in a couple of years with a cupful of my trusty favorites at my bedside.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

Forget the idea of downsizing or learn to live with regret...

This is true; I'm too new to pens to have any to sell, but I've later regretted every hobby related sale I've ever made - even when it was for a good reason - like paying medical bills.

I cant tell you what to do, but I'd give it some more thought and try Fabiene's idea, too.

Best wishes,

Anthony