Looking For A Huge Planner

spotted and speckled

I started looking for a 2017 planner last month. Everything I have tried is too small. I keep everything in mine--exercise plan/tracking, food diary, track what I'm reading, book wishlists, work/house to-do lists, notes from stray seminars and meetings, etc. Everything!

I carry a tote bag or backpack all the time, so I'm prepared for something large and bulky, which seems to be the opposite of what most people want. FP friendly paper would be my only other request.

I just bought a Hobonichi cousin, the 6 month one that goes until the end of the year, thinking that would be the ticket. Don't think it will last until then.

Recommendations?

Much Love--Virginia

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• amberleadavis

• bogiesan

• da vinci

While not my favorite, Moleskine has a big A4 sized planner.

Leuchtturm 1917 also has an A4 sized planner. I'm personally a fan of their paper, but unfortunately this book is a page-per-week. http://goo.gl/xRyKGJ.

You might just want to use an A4 sized notebook and date each page as you go, as finding exactly what you're looking for might be difficult.

Look at the Day Runner daily planner in 8 1/2 x 11 inches.

http://www.dayrunner.com/dayrunner/browse/product/2016+Two-Pages-Per-Day+Planner+Refill+-+Size+5+%28491-225_16%29/491-225_16

It has monthly, and two pages per day for daily. Recently looked at it at Staples and it must be 1 1/2 inches thick and weigh three pounds. Too big and heavy for me, so I'm waiting for the 2017 release of the A5 Hobonichi Techo Cousin.

https://www.1101.com/store/techo/2016/planner/all_about/cousin/

I actually print my own since the daytimer paper is not FP friendly and I use a 8.5x11 size planner. The Franklin Covey paper is usually FP friendly, but the FC pages are pricey.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Staples ARC - paper is adequate and you can punch Tomoe sheets to add.

This. Add a bunch of the biggest rings and you will be able to have a planner to heavy to carry. I know I have been there :)

A sewn bound planner is death for your kinds of forward planning, in-depth record keeping, doodling, and notation. Strongly urge you to look at any looseleaf or other random access-style binding system. You add tabs when you need more organization. You add more paper when you need it. You can add graph, blank, dot, or lined sheets. You can use a punch and add any other paper goods to the system. You retire used pages to a storage binder as they become obsolete, redundant, or embarrassing. FP-friendly paper for a looseleaf binder is almost impossible to find. Franklin and Day Runner/Meade are not ink able at all. Filofax is said to be good for FPs, see Goulet. However, in more than twenty years of using Franklin Day Planner products, I have found a mechanical pencil to be the best planning device since plans are always changing. For notes and more permanent scribbling, I use a micro ballpoint. The elegant leather binder for my Franklin DP has two pen loops.

There is a kooky lady on YouTube called VickieBee (or something like that) and she will waste hours of your time detailing her endless collection of planners and notebooks.

I am using the Hobonichi Techo these days because my need to carry a ton of extra information has changed: I have learned to say, "Illl get back to you on that."

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Does that work? I was worried that Tomoe River would be too flimsy and would keep coming loose.

I must say I'm impressed with the stock paper. I never expected to find such nice paper in such a cheap item (I got the $10 one with flimsy plastic covers just to see if I was OK with the binding).

Edited by edebill

Punch multiple sheets and you'll be fine. Once all the discs are engaged, seems to stay in okay unless I'm yanking sheets around it.

Some people like the DayTimer series. The binders can be rather big, but they hold a lot.

I like the ring binder style, as I can remove my weekly calendar by month and add the next month in. I think I carried 3 months. This allows me to not have to carry an entire year of pages. It also lets me add pages where I want to, and to remove other pages for filing. When I had a dot matrix printer, I also used to periodically print my phone list onto blank planner paper.

As bodiesan mentioned, I found using a mechanical pencil better than a pen (for me), as stuff constantly changes, and I got tired of lining out changes made with ink.

Using a quarter, half or full page (8-1/2x11) sized planner depends on your style.

I found the half page size, works best for me.

I used an inexpensive system called "E-Z Record." The half page size was small enough to fit into my briefcase and large enough to be usable. The quarter page size was OK for personal stuff, but after a few years became too small, for how I used the planner.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Punch multiple sheets and you'll be fine. Once all the discs are engaged, seems to stay in okay unless I'm yanking sheets around it.

Oh, good idea. I didn't do well with them, but you seem to have gotten it figured out.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, I tried and it's a pleasant surprise. The paper is not as good as Rhodia, but it's letter size instead of A4.

Fill your pens, not the landfill

Thank you, I tried and it's a pleasant surprise. The paper is not as good as Rhodia, but it's letter size instead of A4.

Glad you like it.

Miquelrius? And it's color-coded, which I find irresistible. Spiral or hardcover, too, I think.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Miquelrius? And it's color-coded, which I find irresistible. Spiral or hardcover, too, I think.

I agree, I love the notebooks and use them daily. I didn't realize that they made planners. The paper is FP and gel pen friendly.

You need a Franklin Covey style planner it sounds like. They have a size they call "Monarch" which is A4/Letter - personally, I prefer the "Classic" which are A5/half letter. I prefer the 2 page per day (also comes one page per day and weekly)

Monarch:

https://franklinplanner.fcorgp.com/store/buy/All-Planners/cat1850016/?size=Monarch&_requestid=77035

Classic:

https://franklinplanner.fcorgp.com/store/buy/All-Planners/cat1850016/?size=Classic&_requestid=77122

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain